Besides fitness, how are you using your Apple Watch

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey, how are you using it for sleep tracking? Is that an add on app?
I had a couple Garmin watches, they automatically just did sleep tracking (really accurate too), but with the apple watch do you have to open, tap and initiate sleep, then initiate wake up when you wake? Or is there an app that figures it out like the Garmin watches?
I use the app HeartWatch with its companion app AutoSleep. It does an excellent job of figuring out when I am and am not asleep.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hea...monitor-for-watch/id1062745479?mt=8&at=10l3Vy
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aut...tch-automatically/id1164801111?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

I also used an app called Sleep++, but you have to tap a button to say that you are asleep and then again when you are awake - so, not worth trying, IMO.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Messaging and calls since i work in some labs that have terrible reception so I put my phone by the window and do what I need to do and not worry

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Here's one thing I did yesterday that's great.
I have two watch faces set up with different complications.
The green hollow nike one is my 'home' face, have the complications on it's screen I use at home.
When at work and out of the house, I use the face 'Modular', it has more complications, so have ones on there I like when out and about (calendar, weather, date, etc.

Then all I have to do, is swipe between those two faces, it's easier than pressing the button and going to the dock.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Oh when it comes to faces I have 3 that I scroll through on a regular bases:

My daily driver is the Utility face, my fancier face is the simple face, and my sleep time face is the large face.

fullsizeoutput_c3d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c3e.jpeg

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Telling time, weather and occasionally the date. I also like seeing the sunset/sunrise times. I especially like replying to text messages using the voice thing. Also monitoring all the things in the activity app.

Last night, I discovered something really nice. I told Siri to take me to an address on my phone and she opened the maps app. A few seconds later, I was being told where to turn on my watch. I had no idea it would do that.

Last edited:

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey cool, gotta try that map thing!

I just wish there were a better way to see my HR from a/during workout afterwards, the apple health app sucks for that, you have to go to each time point, tap, open and see the HR there. It should be all together like other fitness watch apps do.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey cool, gotta try that map thing!

I just wish there were a better way to see my HR from a/during workout afterwards, the apple health app sucks for that, you have to go to each time point, tap, open and see the HR there. It should be all together like other fitness watch apps do.

You can configure the stats you want to see in a workout from the activity app. I can see my HR on my runs and workouts from the screen during my workouts.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded an app called Auto Sleep that keeps track of how much you sleep and the quality of it as well. Seems like it's pretty accurate and it knew when I fell asleep last night and when I woke. They have a com[anion app called HeartWatch that i installed also. Both are $2.99 each but well worth the cost.

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
You can configure the stats you want to see in a workout from the activity app. I can see my HR on my runs and workouts from the screen during my workouts.

Does it show like a graph or anything after the workout so you can see your HR over time?
that's what I miss from my Garmin watch, it would show a graph with HR, Pace, all together.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Does it show like a graph or anything after the workout so you can see your HR over time?
that's what I miss from my Garmin watch, it would show a graph with HR, Pace, all together.

Nope. No graphs. Just a very basic summary. I'm hoping they make that a little better.

PrincessB

Trusted Member
Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple Pay

Receiving and responding to texts

Occasionally sending a quick text

Siri

About twice a week I answer calls with it when my phone isn't handy. If the call is quick, it's done on the Watch. If not, I move to the phone. This means no phone tag.

Receiving email notifications from my VIP list.

Getting Reminders and Calendar events

Checking my bank account

Checking the Weather

FINDING my phone when I've set it down and don't remember where!

All of these things can be done on the phone (except Apple Pay, I have a 5s) and some of them need the phone nearby. But the Watch's convenience is such a big plus, not to mention the ability to do these things casually without digging into my pocket for the phone and appearing rude.

Ditto!!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I use the find my phone feature A LOT. Probably my fav thing next to notifications. Pretty sure I use my watch to ping my phone at least once a day, if not more.