iMore Running Group?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the Garmins are really good GPS devices. If you study the GPS trail closely on a map there'll be errors but they're small and importantly if you do a 5k run one day it's not 5.5k or 4.5k the next day. They've done a lot with the newest devices to improve the looks but the one area where they have a huge disadvantage is not owning the mobile phone platform so they can only do what Apple will allow 3rd parties to do - and when it sells a Watch of it's own why would Apple make life easy for Garmin?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Really good question. Once my Nike+ edition arrives I do plan on putting them head to head and that will include the Garmin chest strap versus the Apple optical HR. What I want from the Apple watch is consistent data - doesn't need to be identical to Garmin (should be close though) - because without consistency you've got nothing. You don't need to be an Olympic athlete to require good data. If I run 5k and set a new personal best then I want to know that it's genuine, not because I ran 200 metres less that day.
I keep checking my order each day but so far "Late October" is stubbornly continuing to say "Late October"!!!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
YES. I'm settled in with my new watch, I say time to run!

First steps? Someone give me a bit of direction as I'm still a bit of an Apple Watch newb. Let's get this going! :)

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Let's do this. Btw I'm Suggs68. Had a profile issue so changed my user name. I think we can share emails and then add them all to the activity Sharing section of the activity app. Then we can get this running group going. PM me and I'll share my email and we can start

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the easiest way to start a running group may be to connect through Nike+ (since everyone with an AW will have access to it). For those that still se a Garmin to track their runs, they can link their Garmin accounts to Nike+ pretty easily (I do).

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the easiest way to start a running group may be to connect through Nike+ (since everyone with an AW will have access to it). For those that still se a Garmin to track their runs, they can link their Garmin accounts to Nike+ pretty easily (I do).

Yeah but I think then we all have to use the Nike app, which isn't as good as the stock app yet. Still can't see average pace during a run

PatrickNSF

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
It's true that you can't see average pace (yet, I hope), but if you enable audio feedback you can get average pace after each mile. Ideally I'd like a lap (i.e.,1 mile) pace and average pace, but at least average pace is available by audio now.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's true that you can't see average pace (yet, I hope), but if you enable audio feedback you can get average pace after each mile. Ideally I'd like a lap (i.e.,1 mile) pace and average pace, but at least average pace is available by audio now.

NRC isn't nearly as robust as some of the other big running apps. I personally much prefer those.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've tried several apps and basically none of them work reliably yet and are full featured. NRC and Workouts don't export to Strava, bridging software like RunGap only exports a high level overview of your activity and PEAR sports which records without the phone records one run and uploads very different numbers to Strava! Strava have said they're working on an update to their app but in the meantime I'm going to use the Strava phone app because potentially running a personal best and losing the data is no good to me

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've tried several apps and basically none of them work reliably yet and are full featured. NRC and Workouts don't export to Strava, bridging software like RunGap only exports a high level overview of your activity and PEAR sports which records without the phone records one run and uploads very different numbers to Strava! Strava have said they're working on an update to their app but in the meantime I'm going to use the Strava phone app because potentially running a personal best and losing the data is no good to me

I've been using Strava sin my series 0 AW bc Runkeeper is SO bad on the AW.

I haven't used Nike+ in a looooong time so can't comment.

Let's see what @jamesfalconer had in mind. This was his brainchild.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Based on the past several posts, it looks like I'll have to stick with Garmin Connect and Strava and skip the Apple Watch until they've figured out how to get data to sync properly with Strava.

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think we would obviously either have to share email address or cell numbers in order to share. Both the Apple activity app and Nike+ notifies friends when a workout or run is completed.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
For me Strava is the only way to go, that's where I upload all of my runs to. I won't be using NRC or the workouts app as long as they don't support Strava as I've got too much history on there that I don't want to lose. I'm happy for any one to follow me on there.