What's your longest move streak? (Warning - significant bragging involved!)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
2016-07-23 07.22.30.png

I received my Apple Watch June 25, 2015. It took me about a month to determine what I felt to be a reasonably challenging but realistically achievable move goal for someone whose work day is spent at a desk and who travels a great deal. A year later, I'm proud to report that I have achieved my move goal 365 days in a row. I try to run at least a 5k every morning (>750 miles so far this year) and so I often achieve my admittedly modest move goal early in the day, but in the past year I've done some crazy things to meet my goal (e.g., did jumping jacks for 30 minutes in a Lima hotel room, walked for 3+ miles in several airports, etc.). I've also been very lucky because I've managed an entire year without weather or injury/illness preventing exercise. Here's to 365 more! :beer:

So how about you? What's your longest move streak?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I think I got about twenty days once. Between different job sites, hours, travel days, and betas, it's been hard to get consistent activity readings.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
309c393249b4313fd949065f14dff9d8.jpg

I'm not far short of the OP's LOL

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Been out of town since posting this. Kind of disappointed at the number of replies. I guess move streaks aren't a big deal in this crowd.

Congrats to Beards. Your move streak is impressive! :)

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My streak is usually only 6 days at a time. I run 30+ miles a week, lift and do Taekwondo and rest on Sundays or else my body would fall apart. So streak-wise it's not impressive but i do ok staying in shape.

cvdunton

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Today makes 424 days. Got my watch on June 2nd, 10 days after a total hip replacement. I was up and about, but it took a few days before I closed my 650 cal move ring (17th). On the 22nd I had 6 consecutive triple ring days and then came down with appendicitis, so it was back to the hospital. But by the 27th I was back in sync and haven't missed a day since. But it's been tough, getting up at 4:30am and pounding away on the treadmill for an hour. More than once, the streak has kept me going when all I wanted to do was sleep. It's hardest when I'm away from home—being able to knock out 500 calories before 6:00am makes the rest of it easy. Like you say, it will probably be illness that will break the string. I'm in awe of the streak runners that can go years, decades even, without missing a day.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Congrats cvdunton! That's an impressive and inspirational story! You should be closing in on the 500 move goal achievement, so be sure to post when that happens.

I'm at 402 days now, but the next few months are going to really be a challenge as I'll be travelling in South America and have no idea if there's a place to run in several locales.

Interested to know what the OP calorie setting is at.

Sorry for the slow response John. Just got back from travels. My daily move goal is 500 calories. As I mentioned originally, it is admittedly a very modest goal, but for me it's far more motivational to have a goal I can realistically hit than one that I can't make. And since I often end up sitting all day in an office or on an airplane, there have been plenty of times when 500 calories was tough to get. I'm kind of a health stat freak and so I know that in the past 12+ months, my minimum daily calorie burn was 513 calories (spent all day travelling that day), my max burn was 1387 (12/11), and my daily average over the past year was 839. Probably more than you wanted to know. ;)

One last comment - I sure would like to know exactly how the watch calculates calories. On a recent trip to Peru, I took a group of students hiking one day. At the end of the hike, I had approximately 400 active calories, meanwhile a student showed me that he got 850 active calories for the same hike! I'd be interested in comparing how many active calories others are getting for their runs.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
One last comment - I sure would like to know exactly how the watch calculates calories. On a recent trip to Peru, I took a group of students hiking one day. At the end of the hike, I had approximately 400 active calories, meanwhile a student showed me that he got 850 active calories for the same hike! I'd be interested in comparing how many active calories others are getting for their runs.

It's monitoring your heart rate.
A higher elevated heart rate will burn more calories as blood is being pumped faster, thus muscles work harder.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
That's it?? Heart rate and time? I might just create a statistical model to test that. If that's all that matters, then the better shape you're in, the fewer calories you burn in a given time.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm at 122 days now, although I've had the watch a year I didn't really start pushing myself till just before the summer. Move goal of 800 cals. I walk a minimum of 6 miles each day, but then either cycle or run after work.

It's certainly great motivation!

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Well my streak has ended at 124 days...unfortunately my phone/watch had a bit of a moment last week and when I uploaded my workout data from my Garmin Edge, somehow the data from Wednesday and Thursday got trashed.

Strange thing is that according to the activity app I up stood every hour for 24 hours and worked out for over 1,400 minutes on each day yet it reduces my active cals to 125 and 480...both days were over 800 cal.

Yes I'm peed off, but what can you do eh :confused:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I really like the new Activity watch face in wOS3, but I can't use it because it would involve significant lying. :laughing:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Well my streak has ended at 124 days...unfortunately my phone/watch had a bit of a moment last week and when I uploaded my workout data from my Garmin Edge, somehow the data from Wednesday and Thursday got trashed.

Strange thing is that according to the activity app I up stood every hour for 24 hours and worked out for over 1,400 minutes on each day yet it reduces my active cals to 125 and 480...both days were over 800 cal.

Yes I'm peed off, but what can you do eh :confused:

That really sucks! I know I'd be really unhappy if my streak was stopped due to mechanical malfunction.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods