Apple Watch backup does not save Activity data

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that the Apple Watch backup does not save your activity data for the day? I unpaired my AW from my 6S today to pair it with a different iPhone and after I restored it from backup, the Activity data was not there! I've lost all my rings for the day. Is there any way to restore that? That is so lame.

Even my workout data from this morning is gone, not just my activity rings. Not much of a backup ....

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe your activity data is stored within the Activity app on your iPhone. When you switched to a difference iPhone, your Watch's activity app would have populated with whatever was in the Activity app on that iPhone. If you re-pair with your other iPhone, your latest Activity data will be restored.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe your activity data is stored within the Activity app on your iPhone. When you switched to a difference iPhone, your Watch's activity app would have populated with whatever was in the Activity app on that iPhone. If you re-pair with your other iPhone, your latest Activity data will be restored.

Nope. I've already checked the app on my phone. Nothing. So frustrating.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The key is the encrypted backup to iTunes on computer. That is the only way health data on your iPhone is backed up.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This is correct. I've done both and it has worked each time.

When my iPhone backs up at night to iCloud, will it take a backup of my AW?

What I did today was unpair my watch and it performed a backup. I stupidly thought that went to iCloud. Where does it go?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
When my iPhone backs up at night to iCloud, will it take a backup of my AW?

What I did today was unpair my watch and it performed a backup. I stupidly thought that went to iCloud. Where does it go?

The backup of the watch I believe just saves your watch settings. I could be wrong though. What I've always found that works for me is to make sure my iTunes backups are encrypted so that way my watch health data is saved there just in case. If I was switching to a new phone, id make sure my iCloud and iTunes back ups are freshly new and then pair the watch and restore watch back up. Then when I re-paired watch to new phone, my health data transfers. And I've restored from iCloud and encrypted iTunes back ups and both have worked. Hope this helps.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The backup of the watch I believe just saves your watch settings. I could be wrong though. What I've always found that works for me is to make sure my iTunes backups are encrypted so that way my watch health data is saved there just in case. If I was switching to a new phone, id make sure my iCloud and iTunes back ups are freshly new and then pair the watch and restore watch back up. Then when I re-paired watch to new phone, my health data transfers. And I've restored from iCloud and encrypted iTunes back ups and both have worked. Hope this helps.

Here's my problem. I'm gpnna be switching between my SE and 6S. I won't need to restore the phones from
backup each time. I'll just be swapping sims. But I'll need to unpair my AW each time and won't be able to restore from iTunes backup each time. Or am I assuming wrong ? Will I be able to restore the AW backup from encrypted iPhone backup without restore backup to my iPhone?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Here's my problem. I'm gpnna be switching between my SE and 6S. I won't need to restore the phones from
backup each time. I'll just be swapping sims. But I'll need to unpair my AW each time and won't be able to restore from iTunes backup each time. Or am I assuming wrong ? Will I be able to restore the AW backup from encrypted iPhone backup without restore backup to my iPhone?

That part I'm not certain. I never bounced back and forth between phones. What I'm referring to as if I was switching phones. Like getting a new phone and restoring my back up from phone too. What you want to do may work but I can't confirm that.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I discovered a work around. Had some issues with my AW battery draining like crazy today so I decided to set it up as new. Right before I did that, I opened the activities app on my iPhone and made sure that all my activity info from today showed up in there and then I wiped my AW. After my watch was set up again, my activity info showed up on my watch. I will say that it took several minutes after the watch was functional again for the activity rings to reappear properly, but it seems to have worked.

Tracy Bradley1

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a kinda similar problem. I have iPhone 6s+ and Gen0 watch. I had to re-pair the watch once, so, instead of merging things...I have a separate watch entry (sigh). I bought both a Gen2 watch, and iPhone 7+, I have the new watch, now, so...I want to pair the new watch with the iPhone 6s+ now, and...somehow...merge all the data from the two Gen0 entries. I will then want to pair the Gen2 watch with the iPhone 7+, and bring over ALL the data since I first bought the older watch.

Did iOS 10 & WatchOS 3 make it easier to just save, recover, and use only the watch data (and any of that data that's now only on the older phone)? I really want to load my iPhone 7+ from scratch, and the only thing I want to recover and use with the new watch and iPhone is the watch health and other data...

Thanks, in advance!!!!!

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Tracy you can get all other date to transfer but if you want health data to transfer you have to back up using encrypted data or it will not save health data.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR