GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP-my complaint about the iPhone

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Getting enough quality sleep is absolutely crucial to living a healthy lifestyle. Especially if you're looking to lose weight or build muscle, the importance of getting enough sleep cannot be overemphasized. I hope you're all getting the rest you need to make your other health efforts worthwhile!

With that in mind, I have an app recommendation then I have a HUGE bone to pick with the iphone.

App to recommend: SleepCycle. It is a fun little app that uses the motion sensor in the iphone to roughly calculate when you are in a deep sleep and when you are in a light sleep and it uses that info to wake you up within a window of your choosing, but while you are in a lighter sleep, which results in it being more pleasant to wake up. Scientifically speaking, you're body will eventually kind of adjust on its own after 2 or 3 weeks to do this for you most of the time (if you get up at the same time every day), but it is interesting to see your sleep cycles and when you are getting your best sleep.

NOW, TO MY BONE WITH THE IPHONE. I am very disappointed in the lack of notification scheduling in iOS. Especially recently, I have been receiving texts and phone calls late at night after I've fallen asleep. It wakes me up and I find it very difficult to go back to bed. Flipping the ringer switch is simply not enough as the phone still buzzes its little heart out upon the reception of a text or call and the screen turns on to brighten the room. It wakes me up without fail and I have a very difficult time going back to sleep. It is possible to make it completely silent, but this takes way too much time to do every single night before bed and re-enable in the morning. The iPhone is supposed to make my life easier too, not task me to remember to spend 2 minutes disabling and re-enabling something every night and morning. I want to set it and forget it. As well, if there is an emergency call coming from somebody important, I definitely do want to be woken up. This problem could fixed with a simple notification scheduler. I want to be able to tell my iPhone that after 10 o'clock, my phone doesn't make a peep--not even a buzz--and the screen stays black. At 6:00, when it's alarm goes off, its back to normal notifications as determined by the position of the ringer switch. As an added feature, you should be able to set up contact parameters, so if my wife or mom or dad calls at 3:30 in the morning, the phone rings--because that is probably a call I am going to want to answer as it is probably an emergency. If anybody else calls--no dice.

What do you folks think? Would you want or even use such a notification scheduler? The more I think about it, the more appealing it becomes.

Last edited:

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I know what you mean. My only complaint is that you have to manually change it every night and morning and that it is impossible to set preferences for certain callers to ring through. The funny thing is is that this would be so easy to implement. It isn't a very sought after feature though, at least in my experience, so I doubt it will get enough attention to really be changed.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
At first I thought this was a little over the top, but now that I think more about it it's a pretty good idea. I keep my phone in the other room at night BECAUSE I worry about being bothered by notifications. So I'm actually a prime prospective consumer!!

as far as the bright light from the screen with each notification, could you put it face down? No easy solution of the vibrator I you also want it to be on in the daytime.

I don't see Apple going for this because it sounds relatively complicated, and they seem to prize simplicity. But I'd definitely be interested in something like this.

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Turning it off negates your ability to use your phone as an alarm and also blacks out all calls. I used to just turn my phone off until I missed a phone call from my dad and he had to drive himself to the emergency room at midnight because I didn't answer.

There are obviously some half-way workarounds, but it would be a pretty killer feature for me if I could just set a schedule and forget it.

Georgia

iMore Prime
Feb 15, 2010
www.tipb.com
I turn off all buzzing and ringers on my phone cause I hate to have them disturb me during sessions. I also turn my phone upside down so that I don't see it light up.

I keep it in the same room cause I use it for my alarm but I won't look at it during the night at all once I am asleep. I do use it for reading and winding down though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro