[GUIDE] How To Attach Images In The Forums

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Why This Guide?
I am making this quick guide for how to attach images in the forums as many of us, myself included, may not realize that there are others who may have never done this before. Maybe they don't know the exact controls or all the options. Whatever the reason, I didn't even think about some people not knowing how to attach images. So that's what this quick guide is all about.

Attaching Images
There are really just two basic ways to attach a photo in the forums. Those boil down to directly attaching the photos or inserting an in-line image link. The way this is done is a little different between using one of the forum apps from a mobile device and using the web browser. The big difference is that online there is one button for both methods and two buttons in the apps. Below are images with the buttons associated for them.

Web Browser
edb9977eae593db9532408e0da1756e9.jpg

Mobile Attachment
50d56d2d1428ba11e1a6fe46cd7f3525.jpg

Mobile In-line Link
c6921887fa0a094a240e74b1fa837d44.jpg

As stated there are two buttons in the apps for the different attachment methods and only one for the web browser. In the web browser you have the option to add an image from your current device, be it a computer or mobile device from the mobile web browser, or from the web using a link. You get both those options to choose from when you click on the button, however, you do need to be landscape orientation on a phone and hit advanced reply to see the options. It is also good to know that in these forums here there is a 15 attachment limit, however, there is no limit to direct image linking. Adding images is a pretty easy process, you just need to know where to go. I prefer the direct image linking myself, and using the apps for attaching as it is a seamless process. So I hope this guide has helped anyone who didn't know how to attach images. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: It appears the options to add photos on mobile Safari do not appear on iPhones 8/8 Plus and older currently. I am not sure why this is or how to get the options to show at this time.

Last edited:

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Good job sir, however a question , sometimes on a computer if you download a picture and post it using the attachment link the picture will appear broken apparently it has been a problem on iMore for a while .

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Good job sir, however a question , sometimes on a computer if you download a picture and post it using the attachment link the picture will appear broken apparently it has been a problem on iMore for a while .

Yes, it usually only appears broken on mobile apps though. And that is something between Mobile Nations and Tapatalk to sort out. It has been a problem for years and I’ve communicated the issue with both sides far too many times.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well done, sir. Thank you for putting together this tutorial. It is appreciated....:cool:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Something !
54af5d2acc46899bbfe8d7ef51a6fbb8.jpg

Nice !
Now,to return to my original question,can I do this with my XS or iPad 5,directly from a web page or browser,without having to involve Photos at all ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One problem I have is there's no way to post any images of any kind on the online mobile site. There's no option anywhere to do that. And it doesn't allow us to switch to desktop view. I can get desktop view in the Puffin browser, but not in Safari.

Attachments

• 1468C64F-40B3-46D7-B7C3-660CD6480E4B.jpeg
    1468C64F-40B3-46D7-B7C3-660CD6480E4B.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 0

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One problem I have is there's no way to post any images of any kind on the online mobile site. There's no option anywhere to do that. And it doesn't allow us to switch to desktop view. I can get desktop view in the Puffin browser, but not in Safari.

The above wallpaper was uploaded using Safari on my iPhone X. All I did was login to the iMore Forums via Mobile Safari, locate the thread I wanted to upload an image to, select reply, select advanced and then select manage attachments, select to add an image and then select “Done” to post it. I did turn my device to landscape mode and selected the desktop view option beforehand, and you’re right, it wouldn’t go into desktop view.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The above wallpaper was uploaded using Safari on my iPhone X. All I did was login to the iMore Forums via Mobile Safari, locate the thread I wanted to upload an image to, select reply, select advanced and then select manage attachments, select to add an image and then select “Done” to post it. I did turn my device to landscape mode and selected the desktop view option beforehand, and you’re right, it wouldn’t go into desktop view.

I tried what you said. It doesn't work. Way to complicated with too many steps. I don't get desktop in landscape. I tried going to manage attachments, but when I upload an image, it doesn't post it. Why do they make this so difficult in mobile view? Makes no sense.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Your above image shows broken on TapaTalk. So did mine. Using those thumbnail attachments just doesn't work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I posted the above image on desktop view in the Puffin browser. It shows ok in TapaTalk. Didn't need to go to manage attachments.

2fdd23372f92bd75cc379dbb89b81986.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Your above image shows broken on TapaTalk. So did mine. Using those thumbnail attachments just doesn't work.

Let’s see if this one does the same.

Update: As expected, I can only see it in web view via Tapatalk. Still, the OP’s tutorial is accurate.

Attachments

• EFA3BF79-6555-441C-9BF0-9053303650C1.jpeg
    EFA3BF79-6555-441C-9BF0-9053303650C1.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 0

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Let’s see if this one does the same.

Update: As expected, I can only see it in web view via Tapatalk. Still, the OP’s tutorial is accurate.

And that's not good. Too many members use the apps. It's fine on computer or online mobile. It would work ok if we could switch to desktop in mobile Safari. But they've made that impossible. Why?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I tried what you said. It doesn't work. Way to complicated with too many steps. I don't get desktop in landscape. I tried going to manage attachments, but when I upload an image, it doesn't post it. Why do they make this so difficult in mobile view? Makes no sense.

I will make a quick edit, but yes, you have to be in landscape orientation on mobile safari and hit advanced to see the options.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711