[GUIDE] Signal strength -changing dots to decibels

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It took me several tries to get it to stick... And it persisted with the first beta 7.1 - and it's still working even after downgrading to 7.0.4

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
What version of iOS was this done in? I used to have the signal numbers but I just ran Field Test the other day and now it's back to the dots. I have iOS 7.0.4 and following the steps, even not turning off the device and trying to do the home button force quit does not work anymore. When you hold the home button it just evokes Siri (or voice assist) and will not quit Field Test.
Has anyone found a way of getting the numbers permanently in 7.0.4?

Hi stenro! I did this on my iPhone5 also using iOS 7.0.4
Make sure you are using the "Lock" button on the top of your iPhone not the round button on the face of your iPhone.
You should be able to swipe the signal strength back to decibels with a swipe of your finger. If it reverts back just follow the same procedure and try more time.
Remember to power off then power on again. The power off step is needed as apposed to iOS 6 and earlier versions that didn't need to power off completely.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
It took me several tries to get it to stick... And it persisted with the first beta 7.1 - and it's still working even after downgrading to 7.0.4

Hey kch:) I have used the Field Test mode on several iPhones and had one take two attempts to accomplish this but was well worth the effort :)
It is interesting that a few phones seem to take more than one attempt it accomplish this. I wonder why? I love have my iPhone display the signal strength in decibels...you do too. :)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, good, interesting....
now, do you know a way to do something similar with the little WIFI ikon? that would be more help to me
and maybe others.I think this indicator
is really inaccurate !

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I?ve seen it over -110dbm, at which point, I had virtually no service.

Hi HankAZ :) I've been at -113 before and still been able to have service. Kinda makes you a bit nervous tho haha!! I think one of my tutorial screen shots show it at that reading. I think the best reading I gave had so far has been -59.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!
I am a new Iphone owner and wondered why with my new phone (same provider) signal strenght is not great compared to my previous phone.
Normally i could use the Dutch network about 7 km into Germany, where with my 5c I even sometimes loose connection in my own house, depends ob the room I am in.
I live about 1.5 km from the German border ;-)

Currently it shows -98 as strongest signal indoors :-(

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
And to change back: Just re-type the number and hit call, then wait for it to change back. Hit Home-Button and it is back to dots. Dialing from a saved number does not work.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!
I am a new Iphone owner and wondered why with my new phone (same provider) signal strenght is not great compared to my previous phone.
Normally i could use the Dutch network about 7 km into Germany, where with my 5c I even sometimes loose connection in my own house, depends ob the room I am in.
I live about 1.5 km from the German border ;-)

Currently it shows -98 as strongest signal indoors :-(

I think -98 will work perfectly for you. There is a building I'm in at times I would be thrilled to have -98 haha but I still have no problem using my iPhone with that reading. Depending on the building construction you may not get a stronger signal than that.
Congratulations on your new iPhone!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I think -98 will work perfectly for you. There is a building I'm in at times I would be thrilled to have -98 haha but I still have no problem using my iPhone with that reading. Depending on the building construction you may not get a stronger signal than that.
Congratulations on your new iPhone!

Obviously there are a lot of factors that go into signal strength. How close are you to a tower? How much of a Faraday cage are you sitting in? I am currently sitting in my office, albeit next to a window, but I am currently seeing a -76dbm signal strength on AT&T LTE. As always, YMMV.

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
For me not having a good signal a few miles across the border is a pain as I used to have an excellent with my ancient Samsung Galaxy Y. It forces me to use roaming and have to pay international rates for both cell phone and data use.
When the tower closest to me, 0.3 miles away from my home might fail I automatically get the German networks on my phone, which happens more often now, even indoors.
According to maps I saw online 3G and 4G coverage should be excellent, even across the border (for a few miles only).
So I 'locked' my Dutch carrier but every time I cross the border (a ten minute walk) I have to select a German carrier manually because since I have the 5c I loose the signal quickly once I cross the border.
Never saw a reason for a dual sim, until now.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro