[GUIDE] How to Easily Delete Mail in GMAIL in iOS 7

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I recently discovered how to modify my gmail email account settings in the iOS 7 mail app to allow me to delete the messages, rather than archive them. Here's how you do it:

1. Go to your email settings (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars).
  2. Tap on the gmail account that you want to modify.
  3. Tap on the email address in the ACCOUNT entry.
  4. Tap ADVANCED (at the bottom of the screen).
  5. In the middle of the screen there is a section labeled MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO. There are two settings here - the Archive Mailbox (default) and Deleted Mailbox. Simpy check the DELETED MAILBOX, and back out of the screens until you are back at the Account Information Screen for that email account.
  6. Tap DONE in the upper left corner of the screen.
  7. Now, go to your mail app and open a message. Notice that at the bottom of the screen where the icons are that the box that represented the Archive Mailbox is gone, and in its place you see a trash can icon that represents the Deleted Mailbox.
  8. To delete the message, simply tap the TRASHCAN icon on the bottom icon bar while viewing the message.

Before:
archive.png

After:
trash.png

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Although the Archive can come in handy once in a while to fetch something you didn't think you needed anymore - and found out you really did... :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Although the Archive can come in handy once in a while to fetch something you didn't think you needed anymore - and found out you really did... :)

Understood. It would be great if there was a way to add the trashcan without removing the archive option... maybe some day...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Archive or Delete? Thats why I like the native Gmail app or Mailbox app over the native Mail app. You can do either easily. Big fan of Mailbox.... wish they had a desktop client.

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Good to know. I always went into the mail on the web and deleted there. Nice to just do it via the phone.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just checked using your instructions and mine is set for the DELETED MAILBOX but the "archive" icon is still showing on the bottom instead of the "trash" icon. Also did a reboot and nothing changed. Most of the time I use the Gmail app but sometimes I have to use the native app.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just checked using your instructions and mine is set for the DELETED MAILBOX but the "archive" icon is still showing on the bottom instead of the "trash" icon. Also did a reboot and nothing changed. Most of the time I use the Gmail app but sometimes I have to use the native app.

I setup my gmail account this way. The "trash" icon is there.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Whiler I think this is a good guide and very useful, I personally use the archive feature for the reason KCH gave and every so often i look at them and if not needed I delete them. One thing is if you have the item saved in a folder also and archive ed once you delete the archive in gmail anyway the email in the folder goes away also. Just a reminder.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73