[GUIDE] iTunes or iCloud Backups: Which is better?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iCloud Backup vs iTunes Backup:

Which is better?
[INFO]One of the most frequently asked questions throughout the forum is “which is better -- iCloud backups or iTunes backups? Well, Apple sums it up nicely HERE if you care to read it in detail. In the meantime, I will take the primary parts and list them in this guide. This guide does not focus on what is backed up, data consumption or anything like that. This is merely a tool to help you determine which may be the best method for you. For detailed information about iTunes & iCloud backup, click on the links below.[/INFO]

[TIP]When is iTunes Backup the best choice for me?

iTunes Backup
is traditionally how users have backed up their iOS devices, and it continues to serve the needs of many users. iTunes Backup is best for you if:

• You frequently use the computer that hosts your iTunes Backups.
  • You don't have an iCloud account or don't want to use iCloud.
  • The photos and videos saved in your device’s Camera Roll regularly exceed 1 GB in size or you tend to have very large backups.
  • You want on-site and networked backups.
  • You would like a manual or secondary backup solution to use in conjunction with iCloud Backup (see below).
[/TIP][WARN]Note: Keep in mind that iTunes Backup does not create a duplicate back up of your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. As noted in this article, your media content is synced from your primary computer via iTunes.[/WARN]
[TIP]When is iCloud Backup the best choice for me?

iCloud Backup
provides an easy and reliable backup solution for users who want to back up their iOS devices wirelessly and automatically without tethering to a computer. iCloud Backup is best for you if:

• You prefer that iCloud take care of backups for you automatically when your device is connected to Wi-Fi and power.
  • You want to restore data to your device from almost anywhere via a broadband Wi-Fi connection.
  • You don’t connect your iOS device to a Mac or PC very frequently.
  • You don’t own a Mac or PC.
  • You would like an automatic backup solution to use in conjunction with iTunes Backup (see below).
[/TIP][WARN]Note: iCloud Backup does not back up music, movies, and TV shows that you did not purchase from the iTunes Store, or any podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally synced from your computer. [/WARN][TIP]iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie, and app content from the iTunes and App Stores during the background restore process.[/TIP] [WARN]Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore.[/WARN]
[INFO]Hopefully, you now have a general idea of which backup be the best option for “you”. If you’d like more detail about the two, click on the links below.
iTunes Backups
iCloud Backups
[/INFO]

Last edited:

vdroide

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: iTunes or iCloud Backups: Which is better?

iCloud. I don?t have to think about it, it simply does what it has to do..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice