I use a PC at work, and Chrome for my browser. I have several tabs open at the top of the page. This morning, I noticed that the Gmail envelope for my work account tab is now blue instead of red. The envelope on the tab for my personal email is still the normal red. I googled about this and can't find any definitive explanation. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a screen shot:

My work gmail icon is now blue instead of red..... anyone know why?-blue-gmail-envelope-imore-post.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails My work gmail icon is now blue instead of red..... anyone know why?-blue-gmail-envelope.jpg  
    01-29-2018 10:22 AM
    Do you have any Gmail Labs products enabled?
    01-29-2018 03:34 PM
    Do you have any Gmail Labs products enabled?
    Just the one that shows unread mail... but I've had that for years, and the little icon has always been red until today! So odd!
    01-29-2018 03:56 PM
    Just the one that shows unread mail... but I've had that for years, and the little icon has always been red until today! So odd!
    Maybe try disabling it and see if that makes a difference? If not, maybe try contacting the domain administrator of your work Gmail account to see if any changes have taken place.
    01-29-2018 04:04 PM
    Very odd. I have logged into my personal Gmail and work sites and all mine are red and I also have a few Labs enabled.
    01-29-2018 04:21 PM
    Very odd. I have logged into my personal Gmail and work sites and all mine are red and I also have a few Labs enabled.
    Mine did the same thing over the weekend! Do you have Google apps for Education or the Business version of Google apps?

I am thinking it may have something to do with this. Because my personal and my wrok have all the same labs enabled and my work one turned blue and my personal didn't.
    01-29-2018 08:35 PM
    Mine did the same thing over the weekend! Do you have Google apps for Education or the Business version of Google apps?

I am thinking it may have something to do with this. Because my personal and my wrok have all the same labs enabled and my work one turned blue and my personal didn't.
    Well, I work at a University so I wonder if it has something to do with that? The odd thing is that everyone I checked with didn’t have it! I’m glad to know I’m not alone!
    01-29-2018 09:55 PM
    Try going in to your Gmail settings, and under Labs make sure that Unread Messages Icon is not enabled.

Edit: It's part of G Suite for businesses, so if you had it enabled before and only recently got the blue envelope, then either the company you work for just installed G Suite, the company enabled/disabled something in the suite on their end, or Google changed something in the code of the suite.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-29-2018 10:46 PM
    Sherry, thanks for the suggestion. I did do as you suggested, and the little envelope icon turned back to red. But I prefer to have the number of unread messages available, and so I turned it back on. I checked on another co-workers PC today, and hers is also blue. So I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the entire package the University has set up with Google!
    01-30-2018 11:18 AM
    I prefer to have the number of unread messages available, and so I turned it back on.
    I've always had mine disabled, and the number of unread emails shows on the Gmail tab for Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera in all 6 of my Gmail accounts. It's not an extension or plugin because it's like that in Edge where I have no extensions installed.

I wonder if they have somehow screwed around with a setting that disallows that for you in Chrome.
    Attached Thumbnails My work gmail icon is now blue instead of red..... anyone know why?-browsers1.jpg  
    01-30-2018 10:35 PM
    I've always had mine disabled, and the number of unread emails shows on the Gmail tab for Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera in all 6 of my Gmail accounts. It's not an extension or plugin because it's like that in Edge where I have no extensions installed.

I wonder if they have somehow screwed around with a setting that disallows that for you in Chrome.
    You know, that's very possible. If I could get the number of unread messages like you have, then I'd happily disable that lab feature! I'm going to do some more sleuthing!

Thanks!
    Sherry_B likes this.
    01-31-2018 08:51 AM
    Update: Out of the blue (pun marginally intended), the red envelope is back. Strange... very very strange. I didn't even notice it until my coworker emailed me! LOL!
    Sherry_B likes this.
    02-02-2018 03:15 PM