I have used Gmail/Google since 2007. I never paid much attention to the articles regarding privacy/security concerns. Lately though Ive heard more and more about it. The one that really caught my attention was the comment about users should not expect privacy in regards to their emails Really?? Google: Email Users Can't Legitimately Expect Privacy When Emailing Someone On Gmail (UPDATED) Because of these issues and Google no longer supporting push for email Ive explored other options. (Yes I know they have an app but I like the native app much better). Ive tried outlook.com (pretty good) and iCloud for my email, contacts, and calendars. I currently am using iCloud and am happy with it. I do however miss Google search engine and calendars.

Am I being too paranoid about the whole privacy thing? I am curious if the security/privacy concerns have made anyone else completely walk away from Google? If so, are you finding yourself missing any of Googles services?
    09-17-2013 09:31 AM
    I have used Gmail/Google since 2007. I never paid much attention to the articles regarding privacy/security concerns. Lately though Ive heard more and more about it. The one that really caught my attention was the comment about users should not expect privacy in regards to their emails Really?? Google: Email Users Can't Legitimately Expect Privacy When Emailing Someone On Gmail (UPDATED) Because of these issues and Google no longer supporting push for email Ive explored other options. (Yes I know they have an app but I like the native app much better). Ive tried outlook.com (pretty good) and iCloud for my email, contacts, and calendars. I currently am using iCloud and am happy with it. I do however miss Google search engine and calendars.

Am I being too paranoid about the whole privacy thing? I am curious if the security/privacy concerns have made anyone else completely walk away from Google? If so, are you finding yourself missing any of Googles services?
    Too paranoid. Google is the most secure and efficient email provider.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:45 AM
    My opinion is that all of them are about the same. Unless you are using PGP/SMIME for all your email somebody can read them if they wanted. Even if you are using https that's only protecting the email in transit. It's still probably stored in plaintext on Google's servers. And even Google's newly announced program to encrypt all there data center to data center traffic won't really help email unless you only send to other gmail users. An email from gmail to yahoo for instance would still be transmitted in plaintext in this scenario.

So paranoid, not really, but I wouldn't count on any other service being better than Google.
    Fausty82 and bgl321 like this.
    09-17-2013 09:46 AM
    Should you be paranoid about it? No, not really. Should you be mindful of the fact that your gmail is not really private? Definitely!
    Fausty82 and bgl321 like this.
    09-17-2013 10:13 AM
    Have any of you left google?
    09-17-2013 11:41 AM
    I minimize my use of Google as much as possible...
    Just_Me_D and bgl321 like this.
    09-17-2013 11:45 AM
    I use GMail as one of my main email accounts... and I use Google as my primary search engine, but I don’t log into Google to do so. I don’t use any other Google services...

And remember, just because you aren’t paranoid, it doesn’t mean that "they" aren’t out to get you.
    Just_Me_D, TurboTiger and bgl321 like this.
    09-17-2013 11:52 AM
    I still have a Google account, but I use it minimally. iCloud has been my primary account since iOS 5 and will continue to be. Outlook.com is my secondary/business account.
    bgl321 likes this.
    09-17-2013 11:59 AM