Will Apple approve Google Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I thought it was google search app being updated though. Why would people want a separate app for this? Even the video says open the search app, swipe up. I'm not seeing the big deal either way about it since it can't be integrated into iOS.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but the way apple maps handles off screen navigation is awesome. Navigating away from the maps app to take a call and still see the directions up top is so convenient.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If Apple made a Siri app for Android, would Google allow that?

And if approved, a Google Now app for iOS will be just like Google Maps for iOS... which, in my use and opinion, is just not as good as 3rd party apps, or Apple's Maps.

Fun fact: I believe I recently read that Siri was originally slated to be a Verizon Droid phone exclusive before Apple snatched them up. So your scenario was actually almost a reality (on some Android phones).

Found the story: Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase

Anyway, as a former Android Jellybean user, I would be thrilled to have Google Now even in a 'lite' version without system level access, on my iPhone. If you're fairly embedded in Google's services (especially Gmail), it is simply amazing and most iOS users frankly don't know what they're missing.

I commented in the iMore story on this, Google Now would not be a separate app in the App Store. It's embedded in the existing Google Search app on Android, and it likely would be the same on iOS. Google Now would then be in an Update to the existing Google Search app on iOS. I kept shouting trying to get people to understand this, but then Rene confirmed that an update for Google Search hasn't been submitted either, which meant that Google Now still isn't in the pending list (and I'm a sad panda :().

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
If Apple made a Siri app for Android, would Google allow that?

And if approved, a Google Now app for iOS will be just like Google Maps for iOS... which, in my use and opinion, is just not as good as 3rd party apps, or Apple's Maps.

Anything is better then Apple Maps. In most peoples opinion lol. Total fail on Apples for sending out half baked software.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Anything is better then Apple Maps. In most peoples opinion lol. Total fail on Apples for sending out half baked software.

"most people's opinion" = yours...

Apple maps for me has been just as good, or better in performance than Google maps. And Navigon is better than both Google and Apple Maps. Navigon is closest to the end user experience I'm accustomed to with a Garmin Nuvi 765t. If Google maps was your only experience using a person navigation device or app - I can see why you'd be so enamored by it. Having used other devices and apps, I've come to know by experience that Google ain't really something to brag about.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
"most people's opinion" = yours...

Apple maps for me has been just as good, or better in performance than Google maps. And Navigon is better than both Google and Apple Maps. Navigon is closest to the end user experience I'm accustomed to with a Garmin Nuvi 765t. If Google maps was your only experience using a person navigation device or app - I can see why you'd be so enamored by it. Having used other devices and apps, I've come to know by experience that Google ain't really something to brag about.

Apple can do no wrong customer lol. OK got it. Nothing has ever glitches or anything on your apple devices. Not even the well noted issues that are on every apple device like maps. Makes total sense.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Your land of Google is one of sheer eternal bliss...

I always recognize downfalls of any platform. You seem to just ignore the missteps of Apple. Anyway moving on. Will be good to see Google Now on Apple even though it won't have as much access as Siri which is fair.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I always recognize downfalls of any platform. You seem to just ignore the missteps of Apple.

Just as you will ignore the missteps of Google... Google maps on iOS has always been a downfall. Always will be. Because Google will never give the 'full android experience of Google maps" to iOS. In the end, I don't care. I will continue to use what I know, and what works best for me - and that will never be a Google solution. Because what I have works better for me. My Garmin Nuvi, Navigon, and yes - even that Apple maps you so loathe. Because all of those are superior in my real life use and experience than Google Maps has ever been.

And GoogleNow? I couldn't care less about it as my needs for what it supposedly delivers are met by never using GoogleNow... or GoogleLater... or GoogleEver.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
If Google Maps with such a big downfall on the Apple iPhone, why was there such a huge outcries to get Google Maps on to the platform to replace Apple maps.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If Google Maps with such a big downfall on the Apple iPhone, why was there such a huge outcries to get Google Maps on to the platform to replace Apple maps.
Because bloggers trolling for hits and Apple haters that always have to hate on anything Apple does made a big thing out of the very same kind of errors found in every Garmin Nuvi I've ever used and every app I've ever used - Including Google Maps - things that were suddenly egregious simply because they happened in an Apple product.

Tell me why Google never put turn by turn in their iOS version of maps until now? And don't give me the "Apple wouldn't let them" meme, because that is an utter LIE. Plenty of other 3rd party apps have had turn by turn since iOS4. Google never did turn by turn until recently. Why is that??

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple has to approve Google now.. they can't just turn a blind eye towards Google after letting them put Google maps on.

Not so much... That's the beauty of having your own ecosystem, you do what you want with it. Apple doesn't have to approve jack from Google!

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Because bloggers trolling for hits and Apple haters that always have to hate on anything Apple does made a big thing out of the very same kind of errors found in every Garmin Nuvi I've ever used and every app I've ever used - Including Google Maps - things that were suddenly egregious simply because they happened in an Apple product.

Tell me why Google never put turn by turn in their iOS version of maps until now? And don't give me the "Apple wouldn't let them" meme, because that is an utter LIE. Plenty of other 3rd party apps have had turn by turn since iOS4. Google never did turn by turn until recently. Why is that??

Only Google, and Apple will know why there wasn't turn by turn in the Google Maps application before now. I can't answer that question obviously.

Now It was such a big deal that Apple maps were jacked up because they were using the maps as there main navigation system, and bragged about how great they were during WWDC. Then come to find out the maps are crap in real world application, and people all over the world are having problems navigating to places, finding known locations, and the maps not rendering correctly. That's why there was such a big deal obviously. Apple was forced to let Google Maps release their application onto there iOS device because of how terrible their own maps were lol. Good save Google.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple maps are/were no more "crap" in real world application than any other app or stand alone device. They suffer from the same issues. Only Android fanboys and trolling for hits bloggers were ragging on Apple and making a lot of noise. Things with Apple maps were never as bad as portrayed.

Have you ever used Apple maps and Google maps at the same time to be able to compare? I have. Google is worse in my experience.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple maps are/were no more "crap" in real world application than any other app or stand alone device. They suffer from the same issues. Only Android fanboys and trolling for hits bloggers were ragging on Apple and making a lot of noise. Things with Apple maps were never as bad as portrayed.

Have you ever used Apple maps and Google maps at the same time to be able to compare? I have. Google is worse in my experience.

I actually tried that today on a trip. Apple Maps would not even find our resort at Disney World. Disney World, of all places. It would only route to the parks main office physical address. Google Maps took me directly to the entrance to our particular resort.

We had another similar experience on the trip down looking for a lunch stop. We wanted to stop at a Chick-Fil-A while on the interstate. I searched with Apple Maps, didn't get any results. Tried with Google, got 6 matches within 25 miles.

Apple Maps is pretty and the navigation is great, if it can find where you want to go and knows how to get there. If they can get the POI list up to par, it'll be a great tool. Until then, it's a novelty most users will keep in a folder somewhere.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

Stop it already you can't really be this naive man. Apples maps were bad. Everyone knows it. This website reported on it more then likely. I mean give it up Apple dropped the ball, they need more work in that area period. More then they should launching it as a native app ready to go.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Physician, heal thyself. Yes, Maps had issues. Yes, they were reported. No, it was not as bad as you say. Everyone (but you) knows it.

Hahahaha wow, this is sad. You really just turn a blind eye to anything Apple does wrong lol wow.

[/http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/09/28/tim-cook-apologizes-for-apple-maps-points-to-competitive-alternatives/]

Hahahaha wow, this is sad. You really just turn a blind eye to anything Apple does wrong lol. So why did Tim Cook apologize in an open letter for dropping the ball on Apple Maps and falling short if it wasn't even a problem. Like you say Apple had the same problems everyone else did. lol you're a true fanboy. Open your eyes bud.

Even governments warned people of using the maps. Are you serious man stop it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73