Gmail app vs Mailbox app

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If the Mailbox app had support for other accounts beside Gmail then I would deem it useful.
I use Hotmail and Gmail so just sticking with the iOS native app works fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vwarp

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all. I don't receive the kind of email that require labels. If I deem it to be important, I deal with it right then & there or flag it.

See that wouldn't work for me. My Gmail serves three purposes, and if i don't organize my mail as i have been doing for years thing would get messy. I am currently using the gmail app which seems to have gotten way better recently.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
See that wouldn't work for me. My Gmail serves three purposes, and if i don't organize my mail as i have been doing for years thing would get messy. I am currently using the gmail app which seems to have gotten way better recently.

The Gmail app is better, in my opinion, however, without the option to increase the font size, it's not beneficial for 'me'. That is really my only gripe with it.

vwarp

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
GMail for me because I need my labels. Truth be told I use the default app because it works fine and i can set it to get new mail every 15 minutes, instead of push o save battery life. I've noticed a big difference since i did that..

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
People have already said this, but Gmail app because of labels. Labeling is the biggest reason I use Gmail, and I cannot believe Mailbox app didn't have that feature given that it's Gmail only. Also can't believe they didn't include "report as spam."

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
People have already said this, but Gmail app because of labels. Labeling is the biggest reason I use Gmail, and I cannot believe Mailbox app didn't have that feature given that it's Gmail only. Also can't believe they didn't include "report as spam."

Yeah, I can understand the "report as spam" thing, but honestly, I've had gmail for years and have never once used a label. Think it's pretty overrated, IMO.

Ga Bu

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I am no newb ... using iPhones since the beginning and Gmail for >5 years and internet >20.

Mailbox looks promising - though only handling Gmail is a bit of a daft thing - I already have my Gmail accounts (3) incorporated happily with my five other email addresses within Mail. So I am not sure what I will gain ....

But I cannot grasp something that this app does and Gmail does ... What the heck does 'archive' really mean ? it looks like it just means 'don't show in the INbox'. I have 2,300 showing on the app badge and want to get it to zero ... but why do I have to archive them all ? whatever the hell that means ...

Howard

Archive means "move the message from Inbox to All Mail

The badge count is configurable in the Mailbox App under settings. You have the choice of having the badge indicate:

a) Total inbox conversations (which seems to be what you have it set at)
b) unread messages only
c) No counts at all

Ga Bu

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Mailbox for a few months, and it is my "go to" app for email on the iPhone. However, I still use the Gmail app for searching.

What's I like about Mailbox:

It is great for handling day to day processing of email messages. They can be replied to, filed, archived, deleted immediately or deferred. And the time to defer the message to is quite flexible. Mailbox's goal is "keep the Inbox empty". And they try and encourage users to have the same goal.

The interface to do these operations is easy to learn and, some might say, fun.

What I don't like about Mailbox:

Mailbox falls down in two related areas. Searching and filing.

Their philosophy on searching seems (to me) to be: You will most likely want to search your most recent messages, so we will limit the search to such. Therefore the search function searches only messages that have been downloaded onto the iPhone. This includes the Inbox, the 50 most recent messages in the Archive folder (which is really the All Mail folder in Gmail), and any "lists" you have created in the app.

Which brings us to the second failing in Mailbox - the inability to label messages in the Gmail sense of labels. Your existing set of Gmail labels are not available to the App. However, the Mailbox App DOES in fact have the ability to access Gmail Labels. In fact, it creates a "Mailbox" label within Gmail, with the "list entries" as sub-labels! This is done when you first connect Mailbox to Gmail. Once you finish the initial configuration, you will have A "Mailbox" label with sub-labels of "Later", "To Read", "To Watch", etc.

You can, in fact, also create other sub-labels under the "Mailbox" label, either through the App itself or through the Gmail web interface. But wait, there's more! (sorry, I had to do this). You can also reconfigure your existing labels in Gmail to be under the "Mailbox" label. The drawback is that, if you have more labels than will fit on a screen, you have to scroll down to select the label you want to use. So I have done this with some of my more often used labels only. The existing labels then show up un the Mailbox App as lists that you can add messages to. This means that you can, with a bit of reconfiguration, make you existing labels visible to the Mailbox App.

Which begs the question "If the Mailbox APP has the capability of accessing labels in Gmail, why restrict it to just those that are subordinate to the "Mailbox" label"? I don't know the answer to this. However the question was asked on Twitter by a user, and here is the reply:

User @user (name hidden)
@mailbox will you ever make the labels made through GMail accessible in the app?

Mailbox ‏@mailbox
@user Not planning on it right now. Mailbox is a different system of email management, which we know requires some adjustment.​

(It seems that Twitter is the method of choice (by the Mailbox support team) to ask questions and submit requests.)

The response notwithstanding, there have been quite a few requests on Twitter and in the forums for label support, so hopefully it will be properly supported one day.

In Summary:

• I like Mailbox for day to day processing of mail. It is efficient and fun.
  • I have allowed myself access to certain labels by subordinating them to the "Mailbox" label
  • I use the Gmail app for searching

amirage

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone got the push email to work on this app? I installed this app but I have to open the app to actually get the new emails..at such there's no difference between this app and the stock mail!:raised-eyebrow:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone got the push email to work on this app? I installed this app but I have to open the app to actually get the new emails..at such there's no difference between this app and the stock mail!:raised-eyebrow:

Okay. Two apps are mentioned in the thread title so which one are you referring to?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2