Gmail app vs Mailbox app

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was at like 40,000 in line yesterday and today got a notice that I could start using the Mailbox app. It only lets you sync with a gmail acct for now...

I'm on the fence as which is better. I think i still like the Gmail app better. Both are better than the iOS Mail.app.

Who likes one or the other better? And why?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I like Mailbox but I don't like the 3rd party sync aspect. I also like the gmail app but I would like it to be faster and have the unified inbox. I also like stock, but hate not having push.

I have all 3 installed but I use the stock 90% of the time. The other 10 I use gmail for filing and organizing emails.

If Google could make the Gmail app fast and smooth, I would switch to it full time. Hoping for an update that does that sometime soon.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I "stood in line" for the Mailbox App and finally got my reservation and installed the app last week. I tried and tried and tried to set it up but it kept giving me errors that I had to have all these IMAP folders open or "on" but I could not get it to work, even after going through their set up instructions.. Finally it gave me an error message saying that my log in information was rejected...

So I deleted the stupid app and went to re-install it.. um, well no I'm back in the reservation Que on like number 534,239 or somesuchnumber..

Think I'll stick with gmail / stock email app at this time..

Dan K13

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Gmail App sucks! Fonts are way too small on email view, if you have multiple accounts it's a pain to use, when you get a message you have to keep going through every account to find the new email... no unified mail boxes... i haven't tried Mailbox yet, as i'm still 200k on the line, but i bet that anything would be better than gmail app. I used to use the mail app with exchange setup, but i had to replace my phone under warranty, and now google is not supporting exchange on new devices, if i knew that i'd stay with my old phone with a faulty camera...

Howard B

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I am no newb ... using iPhones since the beginning and Gmail for >5 years and internet >20.

Mailbox looks promising - though only handling Gmail is a bit of a daft thing - I already have my Gmail accounts (3) incorporated happily with my five other email addresses within Mail. So I am not sure what I will gain ....

But I cannot grasp something that this app does and Gmail does ... What the heck does 'archive' really mean ? it looks like it just means 'don't show in the INbox'. I have 2,300 showing on the app badge and want to get it to zero ... but why do I have to archive them all ? whatever the hell that means ...

Howard

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE the Mailbox app...I view Archive as 'something I may need to reference later (available to search) but don't need clogging up my inbox'. The snooze feature rocks in that I can have an email, mainly work related, show up tomorrow/next week/next month if its nothing I really need to deal with now...accessible if need sooner, but I do enjoy the 'todo list' like nature of it...

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I love the mailbox app is beautiful and the gestures are easy to learn. But I would love for it to have the other mail clients so I can stop using them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
Are you actually getting the email or a notification then the device has to fetch it?
TIA

That is correct. I get the notification & badge within seconds and when I click on the app to actually read the message, I notice that it downloads the message from the server, but it only takes a second to do so.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
That is correct. I get the notification & badge within seconds and when I click on the app to actually read the message, I notice that it downloads the message from the server, but it only takes a second to do so.

Ok got it. But the Gmail App is push, right?
TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok got it. But the Gmail App is push, right?
TIA

I haven't used it in a while, but according to the description listed in the App Store, the [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmail-email-from-google/id422689480?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Gmail[/URL] app notifies you of new mail real fast. To me, that means you indeed get "push notifications", but whether or not your email is actually pushed along with the notifications, I don't know.

UPDATE: The official Gmail app for iOS, from what I can gather, does NOT support push email. Only push notifications of your Google email.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I haven't used it in a while, but according to the description listed in the App Store, the [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmail-email-from-google/id422689480?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Gmail[/URL] app notifies you of new mail real fast. To me, that means you indeed get "push notifications", but whether or not your email is actually pushed along with the notifications, I don't know.

Okie Dokie Bro,
Luckily, I'm still using Exchange for I my iPhone & iPad. For how long, I don't know.
Have a great weekend.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Okie Dokie Bro,
Luckily, I'm still using Exchange for I my iPhone & iPad. For how long, I don't know.
Have a great weekend.

Thank you and you enjoy your weekend as well. By the way, I updated my previous post. Take care....:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How do you guys deal with no labels?

It doesn't bother me at all. I don't receive the kind of email that require labels. If I deem it to be important, I deal with it right then & there or flag it.

Howard B

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys deal with no labels?
I do find it odd and rather bizarre that this company has invested so much in the making and design of this APp and have devoted it's time solely to it's ability t work with Gmail - and YET ... it choses to totally ignore one of the fundamental functions of Gmail ... Labels.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox