Any Way To Have Push With Gmail In Stock App?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Like the title says. I just got a replacement phone due to a blown speaker. I guess since I got it after January 30th I can no longer use Exchange Active Sync for Google and Gmail. I tried setting it up as IMAP and by using the Gmail setting in the stock app and it looks like there's no way to set it to push. Neither one allowed for it. Gmail is my primary email and I use it for work. I would rather not have to open the app to know if I have any important emails. 15 minutes isn't a huge deal, but sometimes some things are time sensitive and are nice to know about as they happen. I know I could use the Gmail app, but part of the reason I love iOS is for the unified inbox. I love having everything there in one localized spot. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. And if this has been asked a bunch before, I apologize in advance.

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey man. I'd love to see if this is possible. Oddly I was just tinkering with this and found it didn't work. I use gmail primarily and push is rather important. For now I'm gonna use the gmail app. Not as much fun as I do like the unified box too.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, did you actually try to use the Exchange option during setup? I remember reading some reports of people still being able to set it up after the deadline.

And when you set up your new phone, did restore from a backup?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, did you actually try to use the Exchange option during setup? I remember reading some reports of people still being able to set it up after the deadline.

I got a new phone on the 10th and was able to get it set up, but I bought a new iPad on the 12th and it was too late.

Doesn't matter if it was a backup or not, because it's dependent on some device ID. I'd love to spoof it if possible, but not a huge deal.

I've come up with a somewhat messy workaround: Forward your gmail to a free iCloud account and mark the Gmail message as read. You'll get your instant push, but at the slightly painful expense of getting two messages.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. My iCloud backup had it set up for Exchange. And it wouldn't work. It would never allow it to activate.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Like the title says. I just got a replacement phone due to a blown speaker. I guess since I got it after January 30th I can no longer use Exchange Active Sync for Google and Gmail. I tried setting it up as IMAP and by using the Gmail setting in the stock app and it looks like there's no way to set it to push. Neither one allowed for it. Gmail is my primary email and I use it for work. I would rather not have to open the app to know if I have any important emails. 15 minutes isn't a huge deal, but sometimes some things are time sensitive and are nice to know about as they happen. I know I could use the Gmail app, but part of the reason I love iOS is for the unified inbox. I love having everything there in one localized spot. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. And if this has been asked a bunch before, I apologize in advance.

You can no longer get push Gmail to the native email app if you have a new device.

You can get push Gmail in two ways;

1. Use the Gmail app and turn on push notifications.
2. Use a paid Google Apps account; paid accounts can still use Exchange.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You can no longer get push Gmail to the native email app if you have a new device.

You can get push Gmail in two ways;

1. Use the Gmail app and turn on push notifications.
2. Use a paid Google Apps account; paid accounts can still use Exchange.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Really sucks now. Just had it and because my speaker went I lost my push. I use it for work and one of the biggest draws for me to iOS was the unified inbox so I don't really want to use the Gmail app and the email app (which I use for Hotmail).

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I also just was told, BY Google when I was getting help with my GoogleApps account, that those of us with it already set up will soon stop being able to use it, and they'll consider updates to the iOS (like software updates) to be "new connections", therefore breaking the connection, because they are trying to make all iOS users use the Gmail app as it's the "preferred way", unless you switch to Android which integrates it all. My connection shut off as well, which is why I needed help, because I do have GoogleApps for my business stuff and it shouldn't have shut off my GoogleApps stuff. I got that fixed but the Gmail stuff won't work. Bastards.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Heres a throwback answer.

You can auto forward the Gmail account to an icloud or Yahoo email address so its automatically pushed to the iPhone app. I remember having to do something similar a long long time ago with a Treo to get reliable push email.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I also just was told, BY Google when I was getting help with my GoogleApps account, that those of us with it already set up will soon stop being able to use it, and they'll consider updates to the iOS (like software updates) to be "new connections", therefore breaking the connection, because they are trying to make all iOS users use the Gmail app as it's the "preferred way", unless you switch to Android which integrates it all. My connection shut off as well, which is why I needed help, because I do have GoogleApps for my business stuff and it shouldn't have shut off my GoogleApps stuff. I got that fixed but the Gmail stuff won't work. Bastards.

Maybe this is Google's way of "flipping the bird" to Apple over Maps... ??? :D

When exchange sync quits working for me, I'll just live with IMAP... just one more way we're getting 'screwggled'. :D

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
you guys realize that if you set it up properly as IMAP, you can still use your labels and everything exchange can do for mail. i notice it always only takes 2 minutes for IMAP to arrive to my phone, even though i have it set to 15 minute fetch. 2 minutes isnt that bad. and on top of that, save the battery life since you can turn push off.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
you guys realize that if you set it up properly as IMAP, you can still use your labels and everything exchange can do for mail. i notice it always only takes 2 minutes for IMAP to arrive to my phone, even though i have it set to 15 minute fetch. 2 minutes isnt that bad. and on top of that, save the battery life since you can turn push off.

Is that even after they removed the exchange function? If it is, then I'm all for it. 2 minutes isn't bad at all. I just use it for work and 15 is sometimes an issue.

mtbykr

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have two emails and they are both gmail, and I am thinking of getting a new Ipad (and Iphone 5 for that matter). Will the gmail app allow both accounts to dump into one view, or will I have to cycle through two different accounts? I would really like to just keep things like I have now with my phone (Exchange) but it looks like that won't happen so I'm just looking for the best alternative.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have two emails and they are both gmail, and I am thinking of getting a new Ipad (and Iphone 5 for that matter). Will the gmail app allow both accounts to dump into one view, or will I have to cycle through two different accounts? I would really like to just keep things like I have now with my phone (Exchange) but it looks like that won't happen so I'm just looking for the best alternative.

From what I can tell, and I too have two gmail accounts, is that you have to toggle between the accounts - there is no integration of both accounts into one "combined" account. At least that is what I am finding. I just got an iPad Mini and had to resort to just using the gmail app. Dont see that big of a deal with it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is Google's way of "flipping the bird" to Apple over Maps... ??? :D

When exchange sync quits working for me, I'll just live with IMAP... just one more way we're getting 'screwggled'. :D
It could be, but I have no interest in Android so if its maybe to motivate someone to get a Droid vs an iPhone...eh no thanks. Ill find a workaround. I do wish Apple would get REAL push email, perhaps they will remove their heads from their small intestines and figure out true IMAP on these things someday.

You can't really set up true IMAP email on here with a Gmail account can you? If so, please post the setup for that. I have IMAP turned on my Gmail account and fetch for 15min but it is not at all instant or within 2 minutes, it's literally 15 min on the dot.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Google Apps for Business is the product involved - and it's $5 per user per month... or $50/user/yearly payment....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73