Gmail IMAP Question

ruscolinni

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok.... So I understand that Google is doing away with all Exchange Services, so I set up my accounts as IMAP.... thing is it seems to drain the battery.... REAL BAD. I have it set to fetch hourly, but for some reason it seems as if the battery dies quicker.... I never experienced that with them set up as Exchange accounts. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe my iPhone just wet the bed? Nothing else is running that would drain the battery so I don;t know what else it could be... The only thing i did was change my gmail accounts from Exchange to IMAP..... Thoughts? Thanks

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
It's a matter of Push versus Fetch.

With Push (Exchange), the mail-server pushes new messages towards your device. While with Fetch (GMail), the device checks on the mail-server once in a while to check if there are new messages.

So, logically, Push uses much less battery then Fetch. Since your Fetch-device will check on the mail server every x-minutes. No matter if they are new messages or not.
Push will only connect to the mail-server if there are new messages.

richu75

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's a matter of Push versus Fetch.

With Push (Exchange), the mail-server pushes new messages towards your device. While with Fetch (GMail), the device checks on the mail-server once in a while to check if there are new messages.

So, logically, Push uses much less battery then Fetch. Since your Fetch-device will check on the mail server every x-minutes. No matter if they are new messages or not.
Push will only connect to the mail-server if there are new messages.

Not really. Push maintains a connection to the mailserver, but in a idle state.
Essentially, it's much like 3G or LTE. Always available, but only active when triggered.

Ok.... So I understand that Google is doing away with all Exchange Services, so I set up my accounts as IMAP.... thing is it seems to drain the battery.... REAL BAD. I have it set to fetch hourly, but for some reason it seems as if the battery dies quicker.... I never experienced that with them set up as Exchange accounts. Anyone else notice this? Or maybe my iPhone just wet the bed? Nothing else is running that would drain the battery so I don;t know what else it could be... The only thing i did was change my gmail accounts from Exchange to IMAP..... Thoughts? Thanks

You will be able to setup a new device with Google using EAS untill 31st of Januari. After that date existing connections will continue to work.
I would suggest setting it up using EAS while you still can.