No More Active Sync?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have pretty much done the same. I still use one gmail email account and Google search pretty heavily, but I?ve backed away from most other Google services... not sure I?ll miss the exchange server connectivity. I?ve had my calendars and contacts in iCloud since it was launched.

Do you happen to know the simplest way to move contacts and calendar to iCloud without creating duplicates and syncing with all devices?

Bro-row

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I primarily use the Gmail app for E-mail any way (better functionality and more options). However, I exported my contact and calendar data to iCloud and it works wonderfully (I now sync with iCloud). I have wanted to do this for quite some time any how, this gave me the reason I needed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you happen to know the simplest way to move contacts and calendar to iCloud without creating duplicates and syncing with all devices?

I did it the tried and true old school method...:)...I logged into gmail via a computer and exported my contacts to vCard format and then logged in to iCloud via a computer, selected the contacts icon and then imported them. Worked like a charm. Note: if you already have an iCloud account configured and you have the same contacts information in it that you have in your gmail account, all you have to do is turn off the contacts sync in the settings for gmail on your device(s).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I primarily use the Gmail app for E-mail any way (better functionality and more options). However, I exported my contact and calendar data to iCloud and it works wonderfully (I now sync with iCloud). I have wanted to do this for quite some time any how, this gave me the reason I needed.

Furthermore, your iCloud contacts can be used with any email account you have configured on your device(s).

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I did it the tried and true old school method...:)...I logged into gmail via a computer and exported my contacts to vCard format and then logged in to iCloud via a computer, selected the contacts icon and then imported them. Worked like a charm. Note: if you already have an iCloud account configured and you have the same contacts information in it that you have in your gmail account, all you have to do is turn off the contacts sync in the settings for gmail on your device(s).

JMD,
I currently use exchange sync for emails, calendar & contacts.
Can I just turn off exchange sync for calendar & contacts then turn on iCloud for calendar & contacts?
Or do I have to go the export import route?

TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,
I currently use exchange sync for emails, calendar & contacts.
Can I just turn off exchange sync for calendar & contacts then turn on iCloud for calendar & contacts?
Or do I have to go the export import route?

TIA
If both calendars & contacts (iCloud & Exchange) contain the same information then yes, you can simply turn off syncing for your exchange account, however, if the exchange account has updated information / information your iCloud account does not have then I recommend you go through the export / import procedure before turning off syncing via your Exchange account.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
If both calendars & contacts contain the same information then yes, you can simply turn off syncing for your exchange account, however, if the exchange account has updated information / information your iCloud account does not have then I recommend you go through the export / import procedure before turning off syncing via your Exchange account.

I have no calendar or contact info in or through iCloud.
If I go to iCloud.com on a PC, when I access calendar or contacts, there is nothing there.
So does that mean I can turn off Excange Sync & turn on iCloud or the export/import route.
Hate to be a PITA about thus JMD but it's confusing.

TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no calendar or contact info in or through iCloud.
If I go to iCloud.com on a PC, when I access calendar or contacts, there is nothing there.
So does that mean I can turn off Excange Sync & turn on iCloud or the export/import route.
Hate to be a PITA about thus JMD but it's confusing.

TIA

You ARE NOT a PITA, my friend. :). Anyway, you should export your gmail contacts (vCard format) and then login to iCloud online and import them. Do the same for your gmail calendar. As soon as you import the information, your iPhone will automatically be updated and your contact & calendar apps will show your imported information.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You ARE NOT a PITA, my friend. :). Anyway, you should export your gmail contacts (vCard format) and then login to iCloud online and import them. Do the same for your gmail calendar. As soon as you import the information, your iPhone will automatically be updated and your contact & calendar apps will show your imported information.

Tks Bro.
Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
can you send me the instructions as well

Okie Dokie

UPDATE: Disregard the section in regard to the Calendar. I couldn't delete the photos. Anyway, if you have a Mac or MacBook computer, import your calendar to iCal and then sync it with iCloud. That is how I did mine. The contact export/import instructions remain the same. Sorry for any inconvenience. What can I say? I'm getting old...hahaha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.02 PM.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.27 PM.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.41.41 PM.png
    469.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.43.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.43.06 PM.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 5.43.20 PM.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.03.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.03.58 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.04.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.04.15 PM.png
    516.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.04.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 6.04.20 PM.png
    525.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I been using the exchange setup as well. I went ahead and exported my contacts and calendars from gmail into my iCloud account and man it is working sweet. No problem. I would have already done this but I thought it was going to be more of a chore getting my contacts and calendar moved but it maybe took me 15 minutes. Now my macair , iPhone and the iCloud web have it all the same and it goes automatically everywhere.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I been using the exchange setup as well. I went ahead and exported my contacts and calendars from gmail into my iCloud account and man it is working sweet. No problem. I would have already done this but I thought it was going to be more of a chore getting my contacts and calendar moved but it maybe took me 15 minutes. Now my macair , iPhone and the iCloud web have it all the same and it goes automatically everywhere.

Exporting & importing the contacts is a piece of cake, but not so much the calendar unless you have a Mac. With the Mac, you can simply import your calendar into iCal and if iCal is synced with iCloud, there is nothing more to do. The imported calendar will automatically appear on your i-device. I love it. The hardest part for me is remembering that not everyone uses Mac computers and sometime it causes me to eat crow...hahaha

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky I guess I was using a macair so when I exported my calendar it popped up a choice hey where you want to import and I picked my icloud account and it went right there. NOt sure what option I would have gotten if I had been using a PC. I really was looking for it to save a file on the computer an then I would ahve to go and import from within each separate application. It may have if I had been using a PC not sure. I was just going to go the iCloud website and import from there but didn't have to. Anyway thanks for getting me to thinking and the quick kick in the rear to jump into it. Only thing left now if/when I get a new device which will be at least 2 years down the road unless something goes wrong my current iPhone 5 is if I can still use gmail for my email account. I wonder if the gmail app allows download an attachment and save it to the phone and/or attach a file to send an email? I haven't been able to find any app from a 3rd party or apple that allows that. Any thoughts on that ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was lucky I guess I was using a macair so when I exported my calendar it popped up a choice hey where you want to import and I picked my icloud account and it went right there. NOt sure what option I would have gotten if I had been using a PC. I really was looking for it to save a file on the computer an then I would ahve to go and import from within each separate application. It may have if I had been using a PC not sure. I was just going to go the iCloud website and import from there but didn't have to. Anyway thanks for getting me to thinking and the quick kick in the rear to jump into it. Only thing left now if/when I get a new device which will be at least 2 years down the road unless something goes wrong my current iPhone 5 is if I can still use gmail for my email account. I wonder if the gmail app allows download an attachment and save it to the phone and/or attach a file to send an email? I haven't been able to find any app from a 3rd party or apple that allows that. Any thoughts on that ?

I'm sure you will still be able to configure gmail with your future device. As for whether the current gmail app allows for the saving of attachments, I think so. I experimented with the app for a few days but I didn't deal with any "received" attachments. I've since deleted the app and returned to using the stock mail app for my gmail. Anyway, take care, my friend, and have a safe & pleasant evening. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice