How: Get Gmail to launch directly into the browser

dougltc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am a newbie iOS user who is struggling... Some of the things that just work on Android don't work on iOS... So I am not bashing iOS, just wanting to find out how to do certain things...

First, I find it terribly frustrating... When I click on a link in a Gmail message, instead of taking me into the browser, it opens up a psuedo browser inside of Gmail which never seems to say logged into the sites that I frequently visit. So I hit the little arrow/box at the bottom right and then the browser launches and I'm logged into the site that I should have been logged into in the psuedo browser.

How do I skip the 'browser within Gmail' and go straight to the browser when clicking on a link?

And how do I make Chrome for iOS that browser?

Thanks in advance!

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am a newbie iOS user who is struggling... Some of the things that just work on Android don't work on iOS... So I am not bashing iOS, just wanting to find out how to do certain things...

First, I find it terribly frustrating... When I click on a link in a Gmail message, instead of taking me into the browser, it opens up a psuedo browser inside of Gmail which never seems to say logged into the sites that I frequently visit. So I hit the little arrow/box at the bottom right and then the browser launches and I'm logged into the site that I should have been logged into in the psuedo browser.

How do I skip the 'browser within Gmail' and go straight to the browser when clicking on a link?

And how do I make Chrome for iOS that browser?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to do either things you are looking to do. Pretty sure you can't make Chrome your default browser. Not without a jailbreak I would guess.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Apple still isn't allowing you to change the default browser, so links will always take you to Safari.

You say a "psuedo-browser," are you using Gmail from the mail client, or some 3rd party email app? If you set up your Gmail on the built-in email client, links will open your full Safari browser.

dougltc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple still isn't allowing you to change the default browser, so links will always take you to Safari.

You say a "psuedo-browser," are you using Gmail from the mail client, or some 3rd party email app? If you set up your Gmail on the built-in email client, links will open your full Safari browser.

I am using the official Google provided Gmail app for the iPad...

When I click on a link, it opens another "browser-like" window that has the page title at the top in a gray bar along. In the top left it has an arrow box that points to the left that says "Mail" which when clicked will go back to the email that I was reading before I clicked the link. In the bottom right it has box with an arrow coming up and out of it to the right that when clicked on prompts me to open the page in either Chrome or Safari.

Since that option exists (Open in Safari), I figured that I must not be in Safari, otherwise why would it give me the option to go into Safari... And there are many other elements of the Safari GUI that aren't present ... no URL bar, etc...

So I don't know what to call that "browser-like" window. Here is a screenshot of that window:

photo.jpg

So that I don't feel stupid, what is that window called? Is it part of iOS or is it part of Gmail? I ask because I haven't use the built-in mail app, so I don't know if the same window would pop-up if I were to click on a link while reading email from that app...

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That's part of the Gmail app. If you would simply set up your Gmail account in the built in mail client, clicking links in your email will open Safari.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox