I have frequently seen this question in these forums in the past, and have the answer.

The question is always "when I delete email on my iPhone, it doesn't really delete, it just goes to "All Mail."

The answer is: Google Groups (Relevant bit: "Messages deleted through IMAP are simply archived, and remain in All Mail.") You can easily change this from your desktop in the Advanced IMAP settings.
    05-03-2012 07:50 PM
    I've found the Google "All Mail" folder to be a savior on a few occasions... I go into gmail via the web on computer and clean things out there when needed.
    05-03-2012 08:43 PM
    Maybe I just haven't set this up right. It doesn't work for me.

Now, I do have my email setup as Exchange mode. Is that a possible reason?

In my IMAP settings, I have it set to 'delete' emails in the Advanced IMAP settings.

Ps: thanks for posting this in the first place...
    05-03-2012 09:34 PM
    I use the Exchange set up.
    When I delete an email, it goes to my Trash folder.
    But when I try to empty my trash folder, they disappear but then a short time later they're back in the trash folder. So I have to empty the trash folder from my laptop on Gmail.

Good Luck
    05-03-2012 09:55 PM
    I've discovered I like things going to All Mail so that I have an archive. But I know others have been looking for this.
    05-04-2012 06:54 AM
    When Gmail was my primary email account, I automatically archived my read mail into the 'All Mail' folder and I would delete anything older than 90 days from the 'All Mail' folder which ensured that it was indeed removed/deleted. ICloud is my primary email account now, but I do the exact same thing with it. My read mail is archived for 90 days and then deleted. I realize that a good deal of people who peruse this forum are techie types, but there are far too many people who are clueless to the capabilities as well as the basic functions of their email service.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-04-2012 08:03 AM
    To delete from iOS to gmail trash set it up here http://m.google.com/sync

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    05-04-2012 09:55 AM
    ...thanks for posting that link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-04-2012 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD