Going Google free.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If your account got hacked it's because you use a weak a$$ password. I know you iphone users can't handle anything too complicated but you can use letters, numbers and symbols in your email password. You shouldn't use simple passwords like Hipster25 and JobsLove21.

Also there's Google Authentication but it might be a bit complex for iphone users to handle.

My account is authenticated and my passwords always contain upper case, lower case, numbers, and characters. I very much doubt someone cracked the password.

How do I know they didn't let someone make an apps account with the same name again but this time they did get into my account?

Why is gmail the only servcie where a period in the name doesn't matter?

iPhoneuser@gmail.com = iPhone.user@gmail.com

But for apps accounts it supposedly does matter, according to Google themselves. So if you make a Google Apps account, that comes with Gmail, and make it the same as someone with only Gmail but put in a period the person with the Gmail only account starts getting emails sent to them intended for the other party. This happened to me on 3 separate occasions and I have a feeling it was about to happen again.

Now, insert a period into my work email (actually remove it for work), hotmail, AOL, etc and it gets returned; undeliverable. I can put a period inbetween every letter of my gmail address and it still gets to me or remove the one I thought I purposely put there and it still gets to me. That just boggles my mind.

Last edited:

vanishingpoint

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Here is one to try: http.zoho.com they have many of Google's features email, docs, and much more all for free for the individual users. Also, I cloud will have email as well. I am a MobileMe user and All of my features (email,calendar,etc) except hosting and iDisk online file storage will be under iCloud. Can't really figure out the storage one though, because iCloud will store files including revisions so it seems like document storage is a given under iCloud..

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I see where you're coming from. But, I'm beginning to wonder, if when an email account is created if Google uses a wildcard of sorts.
For example 123456@gmail.com would also probably give you 123.456@gmail.com or any variation in between 1 and 6.

Maybe that's another reason why Google will not allow users to recover deleted accounts.

Maybe an option would be to create an account, and make sure you have the email & Google Account for that email address. I create a new GMail email address last night, and then made sure that I also had a Google Account for it, and profile, too.

I've done a lot of research in the last 24 hours on email in general, to work with iOS devices and BlackBerry. I hate to say it, but Google is seriously leading the path...

My account is authenticated and my passwords always contain upper case, lower case, numbers, and characters. I very much doubt someone cracked the password.

How do I know they didn't let someone make an apps account with the same name again but this time they did get into my account?

Why is gmail the only servcie where a period in the name doesn't matter?

iPhoneuser@gmail.com = iPhone.user@gmail.com

But for apps accounts it supposedly does matter, according to Google themselves. So if you make a Google Apps account, that comes with Gmail, and make it the same as someone with only Gmail but put in a period the person with the Gmail only account starts getting emails sent to them intended for the other party. This happened to me on 3 separate occasions and I have a feeling it was about to happen again.

Now, insert a period into my work email (actually remove it for work), hotmail, AOL, etc and it gets returned; undeliverable. I can put a period inbetween every letter of my gmail address and it still gets to me or remove the one I thought I purposely put there and it still gets to me. That just boggles my mind.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I see where you're coming from. But, I'm beginning to wonder, if when an email account is created if Google uses a wildcard of sorts.
For example 123456@gmail.com would also probably give you 123.456@gmail.com or any variation in between 1 and 6.

Maybe that's another reason why Google will not allow users to recover deleted accounts.

Maybe an option would be to create an account, and make sure you have the email & Google Account for that email address. I create a new GMail email address last night, and then made sure that I also had a Google Account for it, and profile, too.

I've done a lot of research in the last 24 hours on email in general, to work with iOS devices and BlackBerry. I hate to say it, but Google is seriously leading the path...

I have the Google Account, I've used reader and some other things in the past. The problem is Google Apps accounts, according to the support documents that is completely separate. They come with gmail and periods matter.

I don't see what gmail offers that hotmail doesn't yet. So far spam is going into the spam folder just like gmail does. It's pushing just fine as well.

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't like that if I have a Google Apps account [I currently own three], I can't have ALL the features\services that is offered to a normal GMail user. I've never understood this from Google. Especially considering I'm an actual paying customer...

Weird...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what kind of features or what could make the iCloud email service more compelling to make you switch from .gmail to .me?

Compelling could mean automatic backups of the 100GB of photos that Google currently gives me.

It would certainly mean allowing me to use my custom domain addresses rather than @me.com. And yes, I know how simple it is to work around that by forwarding - but why should we? Google simply hosts our email servers. If Apple will do that - they may have something.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been on Gmail about a year ago for email, contacts and calendar, with Gmail fetching my Pop3 accounts. Have not had ANY problems and am gradually shifting my email to the Gmail address so it's pushed.

I started with Outlook at first, syncing to Gmail. Finally dawned on me that Outlook was not only an awful email server (ever try to send an attachment unless you are using plain text), it was an unnecessary step. I shifted to Gmail direct, but ran Outlook parallel for a couple months, just in case Gmail didn't work put. Dropped Outlook and never looked back. So far, the Gmail concept is ultra-convenient, especially the instant sync among all devices.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Apple does have their own email client. Did you mean email server?

Apple's email client on the Mac sucks dead llama hoohoos. I'm hoping the refresh coming with Lion is something useable. Apple's email client on iOS has already improved, and is looking better on iOS 5.

HuntBarr

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I congratulate you, sir. That's not easy to do - Google seems to have infiltrated everyone's lives, whether they think about it or not.

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Apple does have their own email client. Did you mean email server?

Apple's email client on the Mac sucks dead llama hoohoos. I'm hoping the refresh coming with Lion is something useable. Apple's email client on iOS has already improved, and is looking better on iOS 5.

wait.. so apple doesn't have their own email server? what are all these @me.com and @mac.com accounts that people are talking about?

I was hoping that once iCloud becomes available to the general public I would be about to have an @me.com email address and perhaps leave gmail also... is this not the case?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm fine with google for certain things. Gmail still works best for me. I use Outlook on PC and a plug-in to sync with google. Google sync on iOS. If iCloud is better, i'll switch but no pressing need right now.

BTW..not only do passwords need to be good ones, but so do the hints or whatever you use to recover a password. You'd be surprised how easy it is to guess these especially if you tell all on facebook.

Ivana

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
wait.. so apple doesn't have their own email server? what are all these @me.com and @mac.com accounts that people are talking about?

I was hoping that once iCloud becomes available to the general public I would be about to have an @me.com email address and perhaps leave gmail also... is this not the case?
@mac.com is the old Apple address one could get, now it's @me.com. Those are Apple emails. You can not get me.com at the moment because they are working on changing it and adapting it for the iCloud feature, but before, if you wanted to be a paying customer, you could have made your own @me.com address. You were offered a trial, of course.

The benefits of paying for a @me.com address were email, calendar, address book syncing between different devices, being able to host files on Apple's servers, have websites, galleries and such.

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
@the Topic: I guess there will always be pros and cons to everything. But Google, I believe, with their new look and their recent (and continuing) updates, will be getting better and better and as they step further into the world of the 'cloud', something amazing will come of it. I guess I'm trying to say, that I think it isn't time to give up on Google just YET.

bmuncy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I must appluad you because I have recently fell into Google's clutches. I have never had a bad experience, only great things so far. With Google I have been able to keep all my calendars in sync with no hassle what so ever. Of course I also rely on their search engine hardcore. Gmail could use some improvement because my mail is somewhat a mess because where I have tried organizing my email it just made things worse. But that is mainly my fault and need to sit down and fix it.

As far as Hotmail or Yahoo, I hate both. I just have a grudge on yahoo but I have used hotmail since I have had an email and it is nothing but a spam magnet. I tried to even go through every junk email and "unsubscribe" and at one point I was down to about 5 a day. Now I don't hardly use it except for xbox and stuff like that. I check it about every few days and I have hundreds of spam emails.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have used gmail for about a year. Loved it until I got the iPhone 4. I set the account up as an Exchange so everything would sync (email, contacts, and canlendar). When I deleted messages from my iphone they would go into a "All Mail Folder" that somehow got created. So if I deleted any message from the iPhone it wouldn't go into the "trash" folder but instead the "All Mail" folder. Would have to back track and delete twice and sort through "all Mail" It became very annoying. A small problem but very a irritating. Besides that I loved gmail. Anyone else have this problem?

In the meantime I switched to a live.com account and have been pretty happy with it. No problems. Contacts, mail, and claendar sync just fine.

ckelly

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Google Free

When comparing Gmail to Ymail, Gmail in my opinion wins hand down. I have them both and only use Ymail for my junk mail so it really never even gets opened. They are both pretty similar but I have never had any issues with Gmail and its very user friendly. However the Iphone versus any Android phone is a no brainer. I had nothing but problems with my Android phone. It froze all the time, was extremely slow and not as user friendly. Thats probably the only Google product I have had an issue with. I will still continue to use Gmail on the Iphone until something if anything proves to be better. Not to mention everyone has a Gmail account which is a plus for Gtalk! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR