TiPb Pals:

Love my iPhone. I use GMail with IMAP at work and at home. On my iPhone, I use it logging in with exchange. Now, the push is perfect. No problems. Great battery life. But, it doesn't exactly stay synced with the account. For example, when I view an email on my computer, and then delete it on the computer, it still shows up on the iPhone unless I delete it there. If I want better syncing, should I switch the account on the phone to use IMAP?
    05-18-2011 05:51 PM
    It's a Gmail thing. It won't matter if you set it to Exchange or IMAP, stuff goes to "All Mail." There are several threads about it in the general iPhone forum.
    05-18-2011 05:57 PM
    OK, but I have on GMail set up my trash so that when I delete a mail, it not only removes the inbox tag, but goes to trash, not to all mail. Furthermore, I have the Gmail enhancement whereby you can check a box for which "mailboxes" to display with an IMAP client, and I have all mail unchecked. So, for example, on my Mac, when I delete mail it shows up in the Gmail trash. There is no all mail folder, since I have it set not to show with gmail.
    05-18-2011 06:00 PM
    That's the downfall of Exchange and Gmail. It doesn't matter what you do server-side, there's no way to bypass the whole All Mail thing when deleting when using only Exchange. I wrote a post about a workaround to this a few days ago. See my posts to find it. It's near-push Gmail using the regular Gmail portion of the Mail.app. Only way I know of to fix it until Google changes things (which I don't see happening anytime soon - Their focus is on Android, as you'd expect).

EDIT: heres the direct link to the post: http://forum.tipb.com/showthread.php?p=1719797
    05-18-2011 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD