So I was running into the dilemma of gmail on the iPhone and the everything going to the all mail folder instead. I had been using exchange to achieve push while simultaneously syncing contacts and calendars. It worked, but felt halfassed.

Instead, I created two different accounts. One account goes through exchange and syncs contacts and calendars. I created another account using the regular gmail setting in the mail app and got a jailbreak app called pushmod to make it fetch every minute instead of every 15 minutes, which is about as close to push as you can get. I now have everything set up exactly how I want it.

Also, a hint: if you go into the advanced settings in gmail and change the default folder to \[Gmail] it removes the ugly [Gmail] folder tree that always occurs on the iPhone.

This has been my major gripe with iOS over android and now it works flawlessly. Im probably way behind the times and just discovered something everyone already knew but hey I'm excited so to hell with it.

Fin.
    05-14-2011 02:17 PM
    how is the battery life with your new setup?
    05-14-2011 03:02 PM
    I haven't seen a change.
    05-14-2011 03:45 PM
    What didn't you like about having gmail setup as exchange on the phone? Mine's been working flawlessly since I set it up in exchange with push. Just wondering is all.
    05-16-2011 06:33 PM
    if i had to guess, he didn't like how deleting a message from the mail app on the phone wouldn't actually delete it but archive it to the All Mail folder in gmail. gmail as exchange is not able to actually delete a message when it is done from the phone.... it just strips the Inbox label. setting the account up as a native gmail account, however, will properly delete a deleted message. sounds like his solution gets a near push with the native gmail account setup.

i've just been dealing with how it works as an exchange setup while periodically sifting through All Mail to delete the junk...
    05-17-2011 01:56 PM
    @yanks19- oh i see what you mean. Yeah i do the same thing with my gmail "all mail" folder. It works for me for the time being but I can understand what you mean about it not actually deleting your messages and simply moving them. Makes sense.
    05-17-2011 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD