Thanks for the original post....I wouldn't have known to use the Exchange option....would probably have used "Add Gmail" account. I enjoy my gmail, but google gives you a bunch of options for how to use it on a mobile device, and the explanations they gave weren't really all that clear.
    02-08-2011 10:34 PM
    Thanks for the original post....I wouldn't have known to use the Exchange option....would probably have used "Add Gmail" account. I enjoy my gmail, but google gives you a bunch of options for how to use it on a mobile device, and the explanations they gave weren't really all that clear.
    Glad I could help.
    02-09-2011 08:01 AM
    Gmail through exchange allows you to sync all you contacts, calendar, and email. So if you add an event to your calendar on your phone it updates to the one online, or to outlook. The same goes for contacts, this works great, my wife and I share calendars and a group on contacts.
    Thanks, so what is the benefit of using "Gmail" on the Iphone, rather than setting gmail up through exchange on the Iphone?
    02-09-2011 09:44 AM
    The benefit is setting up GMail through exchange, it allows you contacts, calendar, and email to sync, it also allows the use of push notification. There is no benefit if you set it up the other way and you can not sync contacts or calendar events.
    briankeith513 likes this.
    02-09-2011 09:58 AM
    The benefit is setting up GMail through exchange, it allows you contacts, calendar, and email to sync, it also allows the use of push notification. There is no benefit if you set it up the other way and you can not sync contacts or calendar events.
    +1. Setting up gmail as a non-exchange account serves no benefit over setting up as an exchange account.
    briankeith513 likes this.
    02-09-2011 10:03 AM
    Is it free to set up gmail through exchange? I didn't think you could do exchange?
    02-09-2011 10:46 AM
    Is it free to set up gmail through exchange? I didn't think you could do exchange?
    Yes it is free and easy to do. Most companies use exchange for email and they have to pay, but Google gives it away with every GMail acct.
    02-09-2011 11:03 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD