This is certainly not a big deal, but I just noticed this and was wondering if this is a bug or something.

Yesterday I set up Gmail as an Exchange account and everything seems to be working great. But when I elected to sync contacts, I noticed that I lost the ability to edit labels for email addresses (e.g. work, home, etc.). I can still do it for phone numbers, but not for emails. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks in advance.
    09-01-2010 02:20 PM
    Hm. Navigate to contact--> click edit-->click label next to email-->doesn't do anything?
    09-01-2010 02:48 PM
    Hm. Navigate to contact--> click edit-->click label next to email-->doesn't do anything?
    Nope. Since the switch to Exchange all the labels show "email" without me being able to change them. Funny enough when go to the Google Contacts page, all the email labels are correct...they just don't seem to translate to the contacts on my iPhone.
    09-01-2010 03:00 PM
    I've always had issues with iPhone<-->cloud contact syncing...which is why I just don't. But, I do sync with my laptop often enough, that all my contacts get updated on the cloud (I have Address Book set up to do so). I'll set up to sync with Exchange on my phone so I can see if I can replicate it.
    09-01-2010 07:37 PM
    I've always had issues with iPhone<-->cloud contact syncing...which is why I just don't. But, I do sync with my laptop often enough, that all my contacts get updated on the cloud (I have Address Book set up to do so). I'll set up to sync with Exchange on my phone so I can see if I can replicate it.
    Thanks, dude, appreciate the effort.
    09-01-2010 07:45 PM
    That's really weird. I wasn't able to replicate this issue. Maybe try cycling turning off and back on contact syncing. May be something with Gmail's Exchange server.
    09-01-2010 08:47 PM
    Nah. It's just Gmail. I tested out my hypothesis, and I was able to replicate what you're seeing. Apparently they don't actually have any sort of Exchange server, rather they're just faking it, and that's how they're able to sync data. Which is probably also why contacts won't sync quite right.
    09-01-2010 10:05 PM
    Well thanks for verifying this. Maybe they'll find a fix at some point. In the meantime, no email labels is a small price to pay for Gmail push
    09-02-2010 12:16 AM
    Thanks, dude, appreciate the effort.

09-02-2010 03:04 AM
    Victory was short-lived, friendship is long! We must learn to treasure!
    09-02-2010 03:05 AM
    Where there is a will,there is a way! I believe!
    09-02-2010 03:07 AM
    In a related question...

In iTunes I have the option enabled to sync the phone with Google Contacts (I believe that's under the "info" tab). Is that now redundant since I sync via Exchange?
    Last edited by igorsky; 09-02-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    09-02-2010 12:15 PM
    The main thing iTunes Google Contacts sync does is sync contacts from iPhone to Google. So, yes, redundant, IMO.
    09-02-2010 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD