Hey all,
    Wondering whether it was better to set up my GMail account on my iPhone 4 through the way that apple has it, or to use it as exchange. Is it better or worse to have the exchange working as a google sync client? Will it drain more battery life?
    08-30-2010 02:14 AM
    It will make your life much easier if you set it up as an Exchange account. In the grand scheme of things, the battery drain it produces is barely noticeable compared to other things.
    08-30-2010 06:35 AM
    I have it set up as an exchange client. I've never had a problem getting my mail pushed to me (like with yahoo mail, which always stops pushing mail- requiring me to reboot the phone) and haven't noticed any significant loss of battery life.
    08-30-2010 07:31 AM
    I am an IT worker for a large company and for all of our company smartphones we use an exchange. The battery issue is not significant and the service is more robust.
    08-30-2010 09:29 AM
    I like using it as an exchange account. I like my e-mail to PUSH through. I haven't noticed any huge difference in battery life. I can make it through a day and still have 40% left. I have 3 e-mail accounts. One GMail (exchange), one GMail set up through GMail (fetch), and one Mircosoft Exchange account (push).
    08-30-2010 09:38 AM
    i have 2 accounts set up as exchange and they both work fine and dont drain my battery life
    08-30-2010 07:17 PM
    I have my personal gmail account and a work google apps account both setup as exchange. The iphone does a MUCH better job with my email/contacts and calendars than my BlackBerry ever did.

My vote is for exchange.
    08-30-2010 08:01 PM
    What is exchange?
    08-30-2010 08:40 PM
    Exchange is the Microsoft licensed mail protocol where sync happens automatically and handles your email, contacts, tasks, and (depending on the server) notes.
    08-31-2010 06:41 AM
    I have my gmail account setup as exchange, however unlike when I set it up with gmail, the exchange does not show my previous emails in my inbox, and for some reason keeps removing the previous messages after a few days.

Is there anyway to change this? Thanks.
    motor96 likes this.
    08-31-2010 09:19 AM
    I tried using Gmail via ActiveSync, but there were some issues with emails getting stuck in my Outbox... so what I have done is setup Gmail under the native Gmail iphone settings for MAIL only, and then have another Gmail setup under Exchange, but with MAIL turned OFF, and CALENDAR and CONTACTS enabled... best of both worlds...
    08-31-2010 10:33 AM
    I have my gmail account setup as exchange, however unlike when I set it up with gmail, the exchange does not show my previous emails in my inbox, and for some reason keeps removing the previous messages after a few days.

Is there anyway to change this? Thanks.
    There's a setting to change how far back to sync emails. Change it to a longer length of time.
    08-31-2010 10:17 PM
    its possible to set up a personal gmail account as an exchange account? Is there any special information needed? like server information. etc?
    01-16-2011 04:32 PM
    How does the phone interact with the Gmail servers using Exchange compared to using IMAP?

Does marking a email as read move it to archive on the server? Does deleting emails move them to archive or does that action actually put the email into trash?

How do you delete a email permanently using exchange?

There is a guide for IMAP gmail usage, but I cannot seem to find one for an Exchange setup.

Email reconciliation is one thing I'm going to really miss about giving up my BlackBerry. Its so easy to choose...delete from device/mailbox/or both.
    01-16-2011 05:24 PM
    As far as I know and I may be wrong. If you setup the GMail as Exchange it acts the same as before but instead of updating when you open Mail the emails will get pushed to your phone. There are settings you can change when you login to the email through the web that will set how it's handled when emails are deleted.
    01-16-2011 07:03 PM
    Have my GMail set up via Exchange as well, works great.
    01-16-2011 08:45 PM
    Exchange slot for gmail is the best. Better push, and it syncs your contacts/calendars to the google cloud OTA so you never have to worry about losing contacts again.
    01-16-2011 09:29 PM
    I've been reading this thread and want to ask the obvious, basic question... how do I set this up? What is different from the standard gmail set up?

If some one could explain step by step, I'd appreciate it.
    01-16-2011 10:37 PM
    01-16-2011 11:25 PM
    Thanks for the link.
    01-16-2011 11:58 PM
    I meant to give that link in my response. Good job picking up where the rest of us failed Massie!
    01-17-2011 11:43 AM
    Google Sync FTW.
    01-17-2011 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD