Sync Outlook & Gmail Contacts Question

BamaSteve

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the iphone yet, hopefully getting one in a few hours, but I have a question I've been wondering about. I am going to be syncing with outlook for my work contacts, calendar, and email. I'd also like to sync with my gmail account contacts and email. Will I be able to sync just my personal contacts with gmail. Basically, I'd like to avoid having all my work contacts spill into my gmail account and vice versa.

Currently I have a blackberry and this is what happens. I have all my work contacts in gmail and all my personal contacts in outlook. I'd prefer to avoid this, yet have both sets of contacts on my phone.

I've also been curious about a pretty similar question with the calendars, but that can wait!

Thanks in advance for the help.

lazerbyte

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I found a 3rd party program to sync my outlook to gmail but for some reason I get duplicate contacts and when I delete it off the phone it removes it off Google and Outlook.

I had this problem when I used Mobilme!

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
It will keep them separate on the iPhone. You have the option to show all if them at once or only on or the other.

BamaSteve

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Good news on this front. I assume this is some sort of update with ios 4. I was able to sync to gmail and get my email/contacts (setup through exchange) over the weekend. This morning my IT administrator synced me up to the exchange server for my mail, contacts, and calendar. Not only do I have the option to view my personal and work contacts, email, and calendars separately on the iphone, the gmail contacts (personal) don't sync to work. And work contacts don't sync over to gmail.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Good news on this front. I assume this is some sort of update with ios 4. I was able to sync to gmail and get my email/contacts (setup through exchange) over the weekend. This morning my IT administrator synced me up to the exchange server for my mail, contacts, and calendar. Not only do I have the option to view my personal and work contacts, email, and calendars separately on the iphone, the gmail contacts (personal) don't sync to work. And work contacts don't sync over to gmail.

I wouldn't have guessed that it works this way but thats good to know

BamaSteve

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't have guessed that it works this way but thats good to know

From everything I've read I wouldn't have either. But after getting synced in to both, it works perfectly. IT guy didn't expect it to do that either, must be part of the new update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2