.ics / Gmail Calendar and iPhone

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Good Evening all -

What's the best solution for using .ics, i.e. Calendar invitations via Gmail on an iPhone? Seems the iPhone doesn't read them correctly, thus won't update one's calendar, etc, et...

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
No, I just don't think anyone knows how this can work with the iPhone. :) It's one of my biggest issues. It's how me and missus try to keep things scheduled/organized between us.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...thanks, Josh. That's EXACTLY what we're doing. Albeit if I log into my Gmail account online, and then accept\decline said invite, it then updates my calendar accordingly. But, who wants to do all that? :)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
...thanks, Josh. That's EXACTLY what we're doing. Albeit if I log into my Gmail account online, and then accept\decline said invite, it then updates my calendar accordingly. But, who wants to do all that? :)

I sure don't want to jump through that many hoops to do such. I've put the request in to Apple (not like i expect them to actually read such things) about adding this kind of functionality to the expensive MobileMe. I don't know. Kind of missing my BlackBerry right now. :(

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I do miss my BB for certain things. Alarms, multitasking, TodoMatrix, and the like. I don't miss it for browsing, twitter apps, general social networking, games, fitness/health (eg. RunKeeper). Since this is more of a personal toy right now, it doesn't affect me too much, but I still wish the iPhone had more.

kbcherry

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I've got the same problem as you guys, well kind of. I get around it by using a hosted exchange account which doesn't have this problem. Which I don't understand. If I send a meeting invite to pop mail on the iphone (my own personal domain email) then I get the .ics file thing. Same thing using gmail. Now if I send the exact same invite to my hosted exchange email I have no problems. I don't understand why it would be so hard. And I am coming from Windows Mobile, I love the iphone, but this is its biggest downfall in my opinion. I am more concerned with calendar and PIM functionality, along with notifications, that I am multitasking. Like no way to snooze calendar reminders. Thats just horrible. Pretty much makes the calendar unusable.

So if anyone has a good solution I would love to know. Like you all I want to manage it all from the phone and not have to log into the desktop just to accept a meeting invite.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73