Yahoo or GMail?

Do you prefer Yahoo or GMail on your iPhone?

• Yahoo

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • GMail

Votes: 129 78.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So what is push?? My iPhone notifies me of a new GMail Email within a minute of it being in my inbox.

If you keep your inbox open it will constantly fetch your email account every so many seconds. The fastest you can get g-mail is every 15minutes with your phone asleep. There is no push support for g-mail on the iPhone right now.

If you want push you need a Microsoft exchange, MobileMe, or Yahoo account. Although Yahoo's push is very unreliable from what others have said.

I just got MobileMe less than a month ago and I love it. I have used AOL for over a decade and finally switched because I really needed push for work and have my contacts and calender backed up and pushed to me. Plus it's great having the locate me feature if I loose or my iPhone gets stolen.

stevecito

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys! New to the iPhone, but coming from a BlackBerry, I can say that Yahoo's push SUCKS! Big! Sometimes I will open my Yahoo inbox and it will download 8 messages, some that I should have received from our ago and on occasion even from the night before! For someone who is so accustomed to perfect push from BalckBerry, this is not something I want t get used to. I am now using MobileMe for push and it is great so far. Never any surprises from hours ago.

On the poll, I have always used gmail, I have like 5 personal gmail accounts for different people / things. Yahoo sucks.

cjmillisock

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
No Contest. Gmail.

Okay, are you serious? That's like asking, which would you rather have: a $10,000 dollar bill or a 50? piece.

Gmail is astronomically better than Yahoo.

I used Yahoo Mail for several years, and then in April of 2004 I switched to Gmail. It is superior in every way. There is no tradeoff.

1. Spam. In the past 5 years, I have received about 10 spam messages in my Inbox. Gmail has caught the rest. I've had exactly 1 message that was NOT spam, marked as spam. So ~11 messages incorrectly flagged in 5 years.

2. Storage. With Gmail, you don't ever delete your old emails. You just "Archive" it, and it gets sent into the "All Mail" folder. This folder has (you guessed it) all your mail. You don't have to worry about "Do I delete this to save space? What if I need this email later?" Gmail gives you tons of storage--so just archive it, then you have it in case you need it.

3. Search. Instead of sorting your emails into folders so you can browse to them more easily later, you just search. Gmail searches your email ridiculously fast.

These are the main reasons to use Gmail instead of Yahoo.

When it comes to the iPhone specifically, Gmail syncs with the iPhone mail app. It's syncs 2-way, so your mail on your phone and your mail in the cloud are always the same.

The Gmail web app (in Safari) for the iPhone is slick and fast.

To be fair, I haven't used Yahoo Mail in Safari on the iPhone. But I don't see how it could possibly improve upon Gmail.

Hope this helps!

PS: I don't have any affiliation with Google. lol

The Reptile

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
I use both but Yahoo! is my primary. I've had that account for a dozen years now and see some reasons to change but they are not so huge that I feel like I'm forced into it. Will likely keep things the way they are until a better solution comes along.

Mugunth

Sep 30, 2008
mugunthkumar.com
Yahoo exists because...

yahoo is still there in the market because of their "lock in" strategies...
Every other email provider has free POP/IMAP access while yahoo doesn't It doesn't have free email forwarding as well... If these two were available for all users (not just plus users), Yahoo would be long gone...!

marvar11

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I use yahoo since its what ive always used. My girlfriend is running gmail because yahoo wasnt working for her. She likes the gmail

Tkvang

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Gmail!!! I do have a separate Yahoo account for their IM, but thats about all I use it for. Gmail rocks!! Just so many innovative features and I like the fact that they don't try to get you to upgrade to a plus account for so much a year. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd just as soon as get a MoMe account and keep my gmail. At least then I have push email that actually works right.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been back and forth between using Yahoo and Gmail but Gmail is the best one out there. I love the web setup and they are always coming out with new things to keep it interesting.

iNickSays

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
a little off topic, but it seems, with the release of push notifications, that GMail should release it's own app in the app store similar to the one they have for Blackberrys.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't want there to be an app per se, I'd much rather it be built in and native to the e-mail app that is on the phone similar to MobileMe an Yahoo.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I hate Yahoo! because it's ugly and everything is loaded with ads. I don't use it on my computer so I wouldn't use it on my phone.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Gmail all the way! even my school uses it...

my universities' mail also goes through GMail, so the choice is pretty clear. Sync works well even if it doesn't include mail yet. Ironically, my school also offers Microsoft as a choice when you make your mail account, and they offer no exchange whatsoever. haha.

ptb6744#IM

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lol after I posted on how I use Gmail, I went to log in to my Yahoo! e-mail account and it's down. I actually like both e-mail clients and its a 55/45 split to gmail because of their themes and labs but I do like both.

Anyone else having Yahoo problems?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have both and my work email which is on exchange. I didn't want to bog down my phone so I just put my gmail on it because that is where I get most of my personal emails. The exchange is for work that's what I got my laptop for.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Yes... gmail is the clear winner. It's been that way for a while now.

I remember when everyone was dying to get an invite.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro