will we ever get GMAIL PUSH??

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
with the new software bound to come out this spring/summer, when will we possibly get push for gmail...this would be an early christmas gift if it comes out this summer.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
it will come soon enough google seems to love the iphone they just want more people using their products and search services

Ekelon

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
I thought there already was gmail push? I use gmail in sync with microsoft exchange so it pushes e-mail, contacts, and calender between my phone and gmail.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Ekelon, I think yours pushes because you're using Exchange. But Gmail currently won't push by itself like Yahoo mail supposedly does.

Is this correct, anyone? I don't use either so I may be mistaken. :confused:

sythesigh

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Ekelon, I think yours pushes because you're using Exchange. But Gmail currently won't push by itself like Yahoo mail supposedly does.

Is this correct, anyone? I don't use either so I may be mistaken. :confused:

Hi, i'm a bit of a n00b and i don't use exchange on mine, but my mail still gets pushed straight to my phone with both Gmail and Hotmail accounts..
Just thought i'd put my experience forward!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hi, i'm a bit of a n00b and i don't use exchange on mine, but my mail still gets pushed straight to my phone with both Gmail and Hotmail accounts..
Just thought i'd put my experience forward!

Both Gmail and Hotmail do not get pushed to the iPhone. Only pushing that is getting done is for the following accounts:

Yahoo
MobileMe
Exchange

That's it.

Ekelon

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
OH SNAP. I see what you mean now lol. My gmail contacts & calender gets pushed by exchanged but my gmail e-mail doesn't. The gmail only fetches every 15 min. does anyone know how much worse battery life is between pushing and fetching? since i'm find right now with my gmail just fetching every 15 minutes since there's never anything urgent... the urgent things come through by text messages.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
OH SNAP. I see what you mean now lol. My gmail contacts & calender gets pushed by exchanged but my gmail e-mail doesn't. The gmail only fetches every 15 min. does anyone know how much worse battery life is between pushing and fetching? since i'm find right now with my gmail just fetching every 15 minutes since there's never anything urgent... the urgent things come through by text messages.

My theory is that pushing uses less battery than fetching (notice how RIM is known for great battery power) because it only sends emails when it is received for push. When using fetch, whether you have email or not, your phone is still checking for new email.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
with the new software bound to come out this spring/summer, when will we possibly get push for gmail...this would be an early christmas gift if it comes out this summer.

It's hard to say whether Google would ever want that. They bought that capability to the G1, so we know it's possible. RIM has it because it is their own servers that is doing that pushing.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Wait, but how does the phone know when to push? Doesn't it have to constantly ping the server?

With RIM, the device doesn't ping the server. With yahoo push on the iPhone, it's yahoo. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the second one)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
With push service coming in 3.0, couldn't Google build a Gmail app to use push?? It would only make sense that would.
Yes, they could. Well sort of. In fact anyone could develop and app and I'm considering doing so myself. Trouble is, I have to buy a mac to use the SDK and money is tight.

I say sort of because you can use the push services along with Google's API (already there) to alert you of new messages.
Now it wouldn't be push mail, it would be an app that would tell you you have new mail, sort of like that new mail notification app that sits in the task bar in Windows and just tells you when you have new mail.
You still have to open mail and fetch the mail, but with such an app you could turn off mail fetching completely and just wait for your alert.

Here's how I see it working:
1) Launch the app and configure it with your gmail. Close it and it goes in to push listen mode.
2) You get new mail, it gives you a vibraing and/or tone alert. It increments the counter on the app.
3) You tap the app to 'open' it which either simply launches the mail app (for you to get the mail) or possibly gives you a summary of new mail headers (from/subject) with a button to open the mail app.

I think if Google really wanted to, they could work with Apple and true push to the email. In fact I know they could. I don't know why they haven't.

But some app like I have described, while not the perfect solution, would do the trick.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 of these available on the app store from different developers when 3.0 releases. It doesn't sound difficult to do.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
With RIM, the device doesn't ping the server. With yahoo push on the iPhone, it's yahoo. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the second one)

My understanding is that push actually pings (pushes) the phone, not the phone pinging the server...only receiving new email once it hits the server.

whsingleton

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
MobileMe...

I'm not too familiar with MobileMe; but, would getting an account there allow you to configure gmail to be pushed to your iphone? I know it costs yearly (which makes it not ideal), but was just curious as to the possibilities. I use yahoo mail so I get push already.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with MobileMe; but, would getting an account there allow you to configure gmail to be pushed to your iphone? I know it costs yearly (which makes it not ideal), but was just curious as to the possibilities. I use yahoo mail so I get push already.

Well people have figured out a way to get gmail to push through mobileme but it's kind of a pain.

You could set your gmail to forward to your mobile me, that's one option.

The next option, change your outgoing server to smtp.gmail.com instead of the mobile me one and when you send messages, they will appear to come from your gmail. But then your mailboxes don't update and it's a mess.

I just wish Gmail would release an iPhone push service.

I don't want to pay for mobile me, but I've thought about it just to have the storage.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Well people have figured out a way to get gmail to push through mobileme but it's kind of a pain.

You could set your gmail to forward to your mobile me, that's one option.

The next option, change your outgoing server to smtp.gmail.com instead of the mobile me one and when you send messages, they will appear to come from your gmail. But then your mailboxes don't update and it's a mess.

I just wish Gmail would release an iPhone push service.

I don't want to pay for mobile me, but I've thought about it just to have the storage.

He can still add the Gmail email address to the iPhone and then when he is replying, he can switch it to the Google one. Or he can just change the reply to address within MobileMe.