Can Gmail push emails to the iPhone 3G?

bandofgypsies

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I can't get it to show up as a number on the mail icon, I have to check it manually, and then it refreshes with my new mail.

How do I make it so it notifies me when I get an email?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nope, gmail does not push to the iPhone. You can have it check in intervals. 15 minutes, 30 and hourly. Go to settings, Fetch new data, and you will see the time intervals there.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
I don't know why this isn't available. Google and Apple seem to team up with a lot of applications and I know BlackBerry is push Gmail and Yahoo. I can't figure out why only Yahoo pushes to iPhone. It sucks because I want push but Yahoo doesn't even come close to Gmail so I am stuck with every 15 minutes. This is something I definitely want to see added in the future.

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I am hoping Gmail adds the push email when Apple launches their push servers in September. We are suppose to be able to get push IM's too. I can't wait!

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
I am hoping Gmail adds the push email when Apple launches their push servers in September. We are suppose to be able to get push IM's too. I can't wait!
Push IMs are going to be great. The next few months are going to be really exciting with all the new application and the push IM.

By the end of the year, I think we will see some really cool stuff.

manho1dup

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Push IMs are going to be great. The next few months are going to be really exciting with all the new application and the push IM.

By the end of the year, I think we will see some really cool stuff.

I am really looking forward to the push servers Apple is setting up. When those are in place, there are going to be some great apps for the iPhone. Until then I am enjoying my iPhone for what it is now and loving it. I went from a Treo 700wx and I must say, I am NOT going back to a WM device again.

trevor#IM

Jul 14, 2008
www.crackberry.com
I am really looking forward to the push servers Apple is setting up. When those are in place, there are going to be some great apps for the iPhone. Until then I am enjoying my iPhone for what it is now and loving it. I went from a Treo 700wx and I must say, I am NOT going back to a WM device again.

Oh, I am sorry you had the misfortune of experiencing WM. I had a blackberry and loved it, but the iphone was a no brainer because I have a mac and need the ability to seamlessly sync my phone and laptop, something Blackberry couldn't do effectively.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm using ymail to get "push for gmail" and it works perfectly. It might almost be better since I setup filters to only forward email I want to know about immediately to ymail. At this point I don't know if I would use gmail for push directly if it became available because of this filter technique I'm using. One advantage I have is that I don't need any contacts or calendar from gmail since that is all done with my exchange account.

Here is a blog of what I did in more detail if you are interested:
When Will Apple? ? my iPhone gmail push work around?thanks ymail!

Wegmans#IM

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I set my phone up with Gmail, and it does push to my phone, not intantly, but every few minutes, and i get the numbers in the upper right corner too... am i missing something? I only manually refresh when i'm trying to keep up with a current conversation.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I set my phone up with Gmail, and it does push to my phone, not instantly, but every few minutes, and i get the numbers in the upper right corner too... am i missing something? I only manually refresh when i'm trying to keep up with a current conversation.
gmail does not PUSH to the iPhone. You may have it fetching every 15 minutes, but this is not push. Push allows you to keep a active connection open to the mail server. This connection is open, but not using any bandwidth except for some heartbeats every once in a while. When a new email comes into the server it instantly pushes a notification out over this connection to your phone to grab the new message.

If you only get a normal amount of messages a day then this push method will save you a lot of battery vs fetching every 15 to 30 mins. Of course manual is the best battery saver, but who wants to do that :)

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I hope aol comes out with push....sometime....I have had my email account for 10 plus years that its hard for me to stray. :p

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
You can probably setup IMAP or POP with AOL now in gmail or ymail and have it pushed to your phone.

Aol is using IMAP which is much better than POP but I might be able to do this with ymail but not gmail since gmail is not push.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have a gmail account and it pushes. It isnt an instant push but it does push them to my iphone rather quickly. I timed it at home. I sent an email from my Mac to my iphone and within 4 mins I had a notification on my phone saying I had an email. I can live with that until Sept. when Apple gets push email.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Seems a lot of people are confused by the Push term. One easy way to tell is if it's not instant it's not push. Read this for more info Apple - Support - Discussions - Push vs Fetch - the facts instead of ...

For a fact gmail is not push and you can check this by going to...
Settings > Fetch New Data > Advanced

You will see here if you have an exchange or yahoo account that it says "Push", but the gmail will shows Fetch or Manual. If you go into the options you will see gmail doesn't even have the option to put it on push.

Wegmans#IM

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
As a BlackBerry Convert, I know what Push email is. It was great to receive emails almost instantly, and because i only use Gmail, it's frustrating to not have this option on the iPhone. Battery life isn't a problem with push, so it will be nice when we eventually have that option.

If Yahoo can have it, why can't Gmail?

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I have a gmail account and it pushes. It isnt an instant push but it does push them to my iphone rather quickly. I timed it at home. I sent an email from my Mac to my iphone and within 4 mins I had a notification on my phone saying I had an email. I can live with that until Sept. when Apple gets push email.

I was told it was not for email when they come out with push its for apps such as AIM. Go figure, email would be nice too.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Guys you can get Gmail to be PUSH and continue to use your gmail account for sending and receiving you just need a Mobile ME account, and you can trick it.

There's a couple of things you can do. Anyone got MobileME? i can tell you how to do it.

IM actually doing it right now. I dont even use my MobileME email address, i am stricly all gmail, with PUSH.

berryd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am using mobileme which seems to work well.

It would be great to get my Gmail "pushed" via this as well..

Can you get you .me and .gmail accounts to be pushed by mobile me?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods