How often do you back your devices to the iCloud? Do you even know how?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A friend of mine recently had her iPhone stolen from her car while at a gas station. She was on vacation with her family and this created a huge problem for her because she has her own business and all of her business contacts were stored in her phone.

When she told me about this she said that getting her new iPhone set up had been a nightmare because she had lost a great deal of her contacts and many of her apps. She still struggling to recover them. I asked her if she had backed her previous iPhone up to the iCloud and she kind of gave me a blank look and then said no.

I did not bother to say well had you done so you would’ve gone through all of this because that just seem to be kind of mean. But I did realize at that moment how important having a current back up is. This is why I’m posting this thread. I’m wondering how many people do regular back ups and how many people don’t. And I’m also wondering about whether or not people know how to do this.

I have all of my devices set up for automatic back ups. When I forget to do is to go in periodically and check to make sure that it is taking place! I just checked my phone before writing us and happily I had a back up done last evening!

Of course there are other ways to back up your device and I’m sure that it would be appreciated if you would share that as well. Tell me if you back up your devices on a regular basis, or if you have them scheduled automatically, or if you have another procedure. If you don’t don’t be ashamed! Hopefully this will encourage you to begin doing so.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So, my backups are run every night to every other night. It al depends on when I charge my phone. Same goes for all my other devices :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I pay for the extra iCloud storage space so I might as well put it to good use, right? With that being said, my iPhone is set to be backed up every night.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
iPhone/iPad: daily, when on charger & WiFi.
Mac: Time Machine, 1-2 times per week, to an external SSD. Plus daily incremental backups to a cloud backup service.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don’t do device backups at all to iCloud. However, I have photos, contacts, and a host of other things turned on to iCloud.

I backup my device every so often to my Mac with an encrypted backup.

Your friend didn’t necessarily need to have a device backup to retain her Contacts. Just need to turn on Contacts in the iCloud settings.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
iPhone and iPad back up daily to iCloud.

Mac Mini has dedicated external drive for Time Machine.

MacBook Pro has portable external drive for Time Machine.

And with Apple One Family I get 200 gigs of iCloud storage.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have my phone connected to WiFi and the charger overnight while I’m sleeping, so my device gets backed up daily to iCloud.

I haven’t backed up to iTunes in over a year now.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have always backed my iPhone up to iCloud, I even bought the extra 50 gig for a dollar a month which is a bargain. I have also done many restores to my new and replacement devices and have never had any issues.

I also do time machine backups on my iMac 27 workstation using a SSD external drive and that’s something I have also recommended to anyone who depends on their iMac as much as I do. Just good common sense maintenance.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the extra iCloud storage. My iPhone is on my wireless charger overnight. So, it gets backed up every night.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
my two main devices back up every night, well theoretically, I never check ! Sometimes I manually back up before an update to iOS, I think that will do ..

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use to do manual backups but then I switched to Automatic and I have WiFi and plug in at night so I pretty much get daily backups.

I also have immediate iCloud sync on my spending and TurboScan apps so if my data changes at one o’clock and I lose my phone at five o’clock I know I have all my data on s server