Has there ever been a bigger crock of BS than what Apple is claiming?

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
They don’t include a charger due to their efforts to help the environment. But of course they don’t lower the cost of the phone, and you can still buy a charger sold separately.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
How many people really don't already have multiple chargers around their houses? Most likely, the chargers are still good, even if the devices they came from were recycled long ago.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
They don’t include a charger due to their efforts to help the environment. But of course they don’t lower the cost of the phone, and you can still buy a charger sold separately.
Everybody who has a clear mind knew/knows that they want to improve their margins.
But even though, nobody can deny that it ALSO helps the environment.
So what's wrong with (also) using that when advertising for a product?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I hear you, but it’s the world we live in today.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
How many people really don't already have multiple chargers around their houses? Most likely, the chargers are still good, even if the devices they came from were recycled long ago.

Sure I have chargers. But that’s not the point. If you are going to not give me a charger which you normally charge about $20 for, then lower my price by $20 and don’t feed me that line of BS about the environment. If they really cared, then stop making iPhones all together. Imagine how much that would help the environment.
If they really cared, they would stop making crap quality charger cables that constantly Frey. I have electrical wires in my house that have lasted since the 1980s. These things don’t last for 2 years. They make it crappy so that we have to buy more and more.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
If they really cared, they would stop making crap quality charger cables that constantly Frey. I have electrical wires in my house that have lasted since the 1980s. These things don’t last for 2 years. They make it crappy so that we have to buy more and more.

I have Apple cables that have lasted for years. I have had only one Apple cable with the 30 pin connector die. I disagree that they make crap cables. I have had plenty of 3rd party cables that were promoted as high quality and durable, last less than 6 months.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Has there ever been a bigger crock of BS than what Apple is claiming?

Absolutely there has.

“The government is your friend”
“The CIA is not tracking you”
“Light beer is better for you”

I could go on and on.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The market is full of choices and competitors. That includes lots of choices that work on the cellular networks - OS, brand, physical features. Anyone not liking the Apple offerings has a lot of choice.

To address environment, there's still the option to use discarded soup cans and biodegradable string to talk with neighbors. I first tested that one in the 1960s, and it looks like the cans and string haven't changed since. Talking that way in the neighborhood vs texting and social media probably has other benefits.

For more range, the LEC phone companies still sell you copper pairs. Old phones are available at most city free-cycling centers and other places.

Lots of choice and no one's holding a gun to our heads for any of them. Win, win.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For starters, the iPhone 12 series would cost more than the 11 series if a charger was included.
Even better yet, in the Netherlands the 11 series did actually cost more than the 12 series. Same goes for the 6 series Apple Watch.

Claiming that Apple is robbing you at gunpoint, so to say, is a false statement.

Of course their first, but unofficial reason is to reduce costs, but like someone else said, they do help save the environment.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

The 5G chip makes the iPhone more expensive. By not including a charging brick they were actually able to keep costs down/or equal to the LTE iPhone 11. I believe I read that here on I more adlnd verified it through different website. What reading does for the mind.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I have to agree with your sentiment. While I am a long time Apple/Mac user, In the last a few to several years under Cook management, everything feels un-Apple like and it's all about nickel and diming, greed and milking long time loyal customers. Saving a few dlrs by bringing out a noble environmental issue? Do you think we are stupid, Apple? Apple, why don't you say it's because of cost saving reason? Class action about throttling performance of iPhone using battery reason to promote update? Then charging outrageous price for battery replacement, but as soon as the matter is revealed in court, the price of battery replacement suddenly dropped from north of $100~$200 to $25 (!). You deserve it Apple. I still love Apple products and continue to buy them, but hate dishonest people in their management. Coming back to the OP's post, I have (too) many adapters all the way from 30 pin jacks to lightening in my junk box. But what about people from Android brigade who are converting to Apple with no Apple charger in their junk box. That's just an example. Did you (Apple) think (and care) about them even for a moment?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped).... But what about people from Android brigade who are converting to Apple with no Apple charger in their junk box. That's just an example. Did you (Apple) think (and care) about them even for a moment?

If the goal is indeed to go “wireless” in regard to charging then an argument can be made that Apple did consider new customers switching from other brands since the typical Qi charger they may already have will charge the new iPhone models, in my opinion.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If the goal is indeed to go “wireless” in regard to charging then an argument can be made that Apple did consider new customers switching from other brands since the typical Qi charger they may already have will charge the new iPhone models, in my opinion.

True, but it really stinks when Apple used an "environmental" reason to justify dropping the charger. They are obviously trying to promote new "magsafe" charger :)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True, but it really stinks when Apple used an "environmental" reason to justify dropping the charger. They are obviously trying to promote new "magsafe" charger :)

Don’t get me wrong. The “environmental” reason is a marketing play. Plain and simple. All major brands have a reference to the environment on the labels. It’s THE topic of the times right now and companies are going to use it to their advantage.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

I do not use those charger blocks any more and have a few Qi chargers (only those models that place iPhone upright for exactly the same reason Magsafe is trying to accomplish. But the execution of Magsafe is not exactly clever and not as useful as ones I am using now). But those blocks are still useful in many occasions which I do not bother listing here. But the timing to drop these charging blocks from retail box is when Apple is going all Magsafe and drop the charging port entirely (although they may use USB-C etc).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong. The “environmental” reason is a marketing play. Plain and simple. All major brands have a reference to the environment on the labels. It’s THE topic of the times right now and companies are going to use it to their advantage.

Yes, that's what I am saying but added a few more nasty thing too, lol

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

It's a crock of BS. For a phone that costs over $1K, it should come with a charger. In the words of Flossy Carter "I don't like that".

BTW, if Apple really did care about the environment, not saying they don't, but if they did, they would just not make cell phones because precious metals extracted to make cell phones come from sulfide mining, which really destroys the environment.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I don't have multiple USB-C charging bricks to plug in the USB-C to Lightning Cable that they include.

This is tantamount to buying a nice pair of sneakers and the manufacturer not including the shoelaces because I've bought plenty of shoes in the past so I should have a lot of shoelaces lying around.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

You know what's great about that Magsafe charger? It also includes an integrated USB-C cable but no USB-C charging brick.

Honestly, I'm usually pretty chill when it comes to changes like this from Apple but ever since the announcement it has irked me more and more since time has passed. I understand that the phones will soon be portless but why start all this at this point?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711