I'm frustrated to learn that my nearest (60 mile drive) Genius Bar is in a mall where there are no convenient charging stations for electric cars. There is a Hilton Hotel with one a mile from the store.

It seems to me like a marketing 'no-brainer.' There is a company, Volta, that will install a station and maintain it. I don't know the cost to the merchant, but my nearest Giant Foods grocery store has 2 for my use when I shop. They are as convenient as handicapped parking spaces.

How do I (we, as a user community) convince Apple marketing that they can (and ought to) do this, too?

baumgrenze
    11-22-2020 08:42 PM
    Count me among those who don’t think Apple or any other retailer ought to have to provide charging stations for electric vehicles, especially when they are not in the car selling business. In my opinion, it is up to the vehicle’s owner to make sure his or her vehicle has enough charge before leaving home. I also think local government entities should provide for e-stations to appear through its jurisdiction, but Apple, Best Buy, Macy’s, etcetera should not be responsible for that.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-23-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    staceymj86, Tartarus and tadpoles like this.
    11-22-2020 09:25 PM
    We have some e-charging stations at a grocery store here, but they are at the far, far end of their parking lot and don’t hardly ever seem to get used.
    11-22-2020 11:28 PM
    I think what you are missing, Apple doesn't own the malls -- they rent out space for their stores in malls. As such, Apple can't have a car charger installed; the most they can do is request the mall owner/managing company install chargers. I can understand the frustration, but the lack of charging stations is something anyone buying an electric car should be aware of -- particularly if the car has such limited range (less than 200 miles).
    Just_Me_D and imwjl like this.
    11-24-2020 09:55 AM
    You need a charge after driving 60 miles? Why not just charge at home prior?
    11-24-2020 11:03 AM
    I think what you are missing, Apple doesn't own the malls -- they rent out space for their stores in malls. As such, Apple can't have a car charger installed; the most they can do is request the mall owner/managing company install chargers. I can understand the frustration, but the lack of charging stations is something anyone buying an electric car should be aware of -- particularly if the car has such limited range (less than 200 miles).
    Yes, our (where I'm IT director) small chain of grocery stores has different landlords and an Apple Store in same mall as one. The progressive landlord who's courted business including the Apple Store has charge partnerships. Just the opposite, where there's a struggling mall the landlords try their hardest to not spend money on anything.
    11-24-2020 11:38 AM
    Car charge is a responsibility of the city and / or municipality. Sometimes even the state.
    Local businesses, no matter how big they are, should not be held responsible for the charging facilities or the lack thereof.
    11-24-2020 12:46 PM
    Why should business or government provide free fuel to anyone?? There aren’t free gas pumps at the Apple Store either.
    Just_Me_D and Lee_Bo like this.
    11-24-2020 04:18 PM
    Why should business or government provide free fuel to anyone?? There aren’t free gas pumps at the Apple Store either.
    Agreed, but between the entities, I think government would benefit more by providing e-Stations throughout its jurisdictions as a service to its citizens. Should they be mandated to do so? Of course not.
    scruffypig likes this.
    11-24-2020 04:52 PM
    I don't believe anyone said they should be free, merely that there be stations at the mall where the cars can charge; likely by having the mall contract with someone like Electrify America or ChargePoint to provide the stations, with the mall renting a part of the parking lot to those companies.
    11-24-2020 10:28 PM
    As the owner of an electric car, it's your responsibility to make sure you have enough charge on said car to get from your home, to your stops, and back home. Just like it's my responsibility to make sure I have enough gas to get to my destination if there aren't any gas stations along the way.
    Just_Me_D and phlamethrowre like this.
    11-25-2020 10:09 AM
    I don't know where the idea of charge stations operating for free come from or where there might be some that way for the public.

As far as Apple Stores, I know a bit about what they demand because one of our stores is in a same mall and was doing remodel and changes same time the mall did, same time Apple came there, and there was a coincidence of my employer and Apple demanding some same things as far as infrastructure.

Agreed, but between the entities, I think government would benefit more by providing e-Stations throughout its jurisdictions as a service to its citizens. Should they be mandated to do so? Of course not.
    My city of residence and my employer were both progressive with infrastructure, what some call green energy and long-term planning. The partnership to put in charge stations proved to be a really good business decision. It helped make the places attractive to employers and residents. The stations first laughed at now have regular or at capacity use depending on location and time of day.

Even charge stations near our cabin's closest small town get use now because the BEV sales are up and keep growing.
    11-25-2020 11:39 AM