Home iMore Q&A > General Apple News & Discussion

iCloud vs. Onedrive - Which service to use on apple products!?

Asked: Jun 03 2020 | 12:10 pm EDT 1043 Views 10 Answers

Hi there,

I am wondering what others are doing/using related to cloud services on their apple devices.

Currently I have all apple products (iphone, ipad, apple watch and macbook pro). Using all these products would mean iCloud Drive and iCloud storage makes most sense.

I grew up with a Hotmail email and currently use Outlook.com as my personal email address, and as such the microsoft services integrate so well (outlook program, to do, onenote, and all 365 features).

Thats where my dilemma comes into play for me, I love apple products, but the microsoft services are very powerful, and universal across all devices (in case i ever choose to go with another platform for phone or computer). I love the connectivity between microsoft services, but since I use all Apple products, there are a lot of features apple offers that the 3rd party apps cant compete in.

What do you all do? What is a good solution here? Just so torn on what calendar I should use - outlook.com calendar, or my icloud (since apple devices are daily driver icloud makes sense, but since outlook is my main email that calendar makes sense too). Same situation for notes, and reminders too.

Its not a serious issue, but I am looking to just pick one platform and stick with it, currently I use the Office suite, and am forcing myself to use Microsoft services since it all integrates, but doesnt integrate into my apple devices the way the apple products do.

Any advice would be great! looking for what others do, and create a discussion!

More Answers

Jun 03 2020 | 12:30 pm EDT Annie_M

Hi! I use both iCloud and Google Drive.
Jun 03 2020 | 3:32 pm EDT Speedygi

To be honest , iCloud would work better on your iDevices I think .
Jun 04 2020 | 6:26 am EDT ksassy

I have a lot of Apple products and use Microsoft services too so I use both iCloud and OneDrive. I couldn't pick just one since I use each of them for different things but it works for me. I tried abandoning Microsoft when I went all in on Apple but I couldn't completely give up my legacy with Microsoft. Guess you could I say I like have one foot in each world LOL!!
Jun 04 2020 | 6:42 am EDT Lee_Bo

I'm also "all in" with Apple devices so I use iCloud exclusively.
Jun 04 2020 | 6:06 pm EDT Just_Me_D

I use both as well as a few others. iCloud is Apple’s Cloud storage solution so of course it will have an advantage with Apple products. Still, One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox and others work really well and should be considered, in my opinion.
Jun 05 2020 | 3:23 am EDT FFR

Hi there,

I am wondering what others are doing/using related to cloud services on their apple devices.

Currently I have all apple products (iphone, ipad, apple watch and macbook pro). Using all these products would mean iCloud Drive and iCloud storage makes most sense.

iCloud.

It’s a no brainer.
Jun 05 2020 | 7:27 am EDT mphillips828

iCloud.

It’s a no brainer.

Haha simple I like it!

Microsoft Services though are more powerful...the integration between my outlook email and to do is good, and onedrive is a more powerful cloud storage with options for sharing links and the website is much more functional.

That’s why I’m torn really. iCloud makes most sense, but I do like the power of the Microsoft apps and the features they offer , but Apple integrates their options so well together.
Jun 05 2020 | 11:32 am EDT xanadome

the website is much more functional.
I have a 200GB of iCloud Drive and ITB of OneDrive. Except "Documents" and Music and Photos (in "Desktop") of iCloud Drive, I moved everything else to OneDrive (it's free - kind of - due to subscription of Office 365) mostly for the reason of the web display. M$ OneDrive has a list option to display files while iCloud is always icon only, which is not usually too convenient for portable devices.
Jun 05 2020 | 1:19 pm EDT kataran

I also use OneDrive and iCloud and find them both to be useful
Jun 06 2020 | 9:42 am EDT Tartarus

I only use iCloud as my main cloud storage service.
I do have the other apps, too, but use them only occasionally for unimportant stuf.