Cover photo duplication issue via Facebook app on iPhone

jef7878

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,

I'd like to consult you regarding an issue which concerns iOS and Facebook mobile app. When I try to update/change my cover photos via Facebook mobile app (iOS) a copy is being created as a cover photo without retaining likes and comments. These are previously set cover photos in cover photos album on my Facebook account.

So, I'm not doing a new upload from the device. I'm not either transferring between different albums on Facebook. I'm just trying to change a photo that is already present in cover photos album on my Facebook profile. Such duplication doesn't happen when I try it via Facebook app on Android, Facebook mobile site and Facebook on PC. It only occurs via Facebook app on my iPhone. I've also tried it on several iPhones all of which have the latest version Facebook mobile app and operating systems but it keeps on duplicating.

Do you also have the same issue on your iPhones? I realised this more than one week ago and there is no change in the situation. Is this a sort of bug/glitch? What could be the reason of this? I couldn't see any posts regarding such issue on the internet either.

Thanks a lot! :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. It's good to have you here. For what it's worth, I just updated both the cover and profile photos on my FB page and did not have the same experience that you have described. Hopefully, others will come along and have some suggestions for you.

jef7878

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
Lee_Bo thanks for your reply. I'm curious if this bug widespread is. Because I haven't seen the same complaint on the internet unlike several other issues. I thought iPhone users here can test it updating their cover photos from one of the previously used photos from cover photos album on their Facebook account via app. It is very strange I'm experiencing this issue on all of my iPhones (XR & 6s) :confused:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I would love to reply with a lengthy explanation about the how and the what, but I simply don’t change my cover photo.
It’s been more than 2 years that I updated mine.
Hopefully someone else with a better reply will come along soon.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I updated my cover photo a month ago and didn’t have any duplication issues using my iPhone.

I just updated my brothers cover photo using his iPhone to see if I could duplicate the issue and it worked fine with no issues. Both my devices have the latest IOS updates.

As others on this thread have stated, this might be an issue to address with Facebook support.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I'd like to consult you regarding an issue which concerns iOS and Facebook mobile app. When I try to update/change my cover photos via Facebook mobile app (iOS) a copy is being created as a cover photo without retaining likes and comments. These are previously set cover photos in cover photos album on my Facebook account.

So, I'm not doing a new upload from the device. I'm not either transferring between different albums on Facebook. I'm just trying to change a photo that is already present in cover photos album on my Facebook profile. Such duplication doesn't happen when I try it via Facebook app on Android, Facebook mobile site and Facebook on PC. It only occurs via Facebook app on my iPhone. I've also tried it on several iPhones all of which have the latest version Facebook mobile app and operating systems but it keeps on duplicating.

Do you also have the same issue on your iPhones? I realised this more than one week ago and there is no change in the situation. Is this a sort of bug/glitch? What could be the reason of this? I couldn't see any posts regarding such issue on the internet either.

Thanks a lot! :)

Based on what you’ve described, I’d say it is a glitch. It’s possible that the developer needs to clean up the code and then upload a new app build to the App Store Connect. With that being said, have you reached out to Facebook Support to report the matter?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I always use my iPhone when changing my cover photo on Facebook. But I don't recall one retaining the likes and comments from a previous set. I really don't remember because I wouldn't have noticed or cared one way or another.
There's a "Help Community" in the Help and Support section in the Facebook menu. They can probably give you answers better than Facebook Support.

jef7878

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
This has always happened for me

Thanks a lot all for your recommendations and insights.

love4speechless, interesting to see a reply that confirms the duplication. Can you please inform me if this duplication occurs when you change/revert one of the previously used photos from cover photos album already present in your Facebook profile, same with my case? Do you still have this duplication? I already came across some duplication issues discussed on the internet but they all concern new uploads from the device, not like my case.

I made an inquiry to Facebook support but no reply received yet. I don't expect any answer at all, they can at most say that this is a glitch. I don't want to publicly discuss this issue disclosing my identity on Facebook support community either. Strange that I didn't see such case discussed in the community. So I'm just curious why it occurs on all of my iPhones and how prevalent this issue is asking if somebody else also has experienced it :)
@Ledsteplin, if you currently don't have any duplicate cover photos unless you deleted them, probably it didn't happen to you.

jef7878

Feb 21, 2020
Visit site
First off, iOS 11+ marks a big change in the way your Apple iDevices handle third-party privacy.

Mainly, your Apple iOS no longer integrates ANY third-party social networks by default.

What that means is Apple removed all social app single sign-on from iOS’s Settings App.

Instead, apps like Facebook, Twitter, and so forth are supported just like all your other apps. You must give permission within apps for access to things like notifications, contacts, calendar, photos, camera, mic, and so forth.
I hope this takes you somewhere near the solution.

Thanks LewisH95. I've adjusted permission settings but it hasn't changed anything.