The coming mid-range IPhone

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Rumors are persistent that APple is going to come out with a lower cost iPhone, perhaps based on the iPhone 8 but with somewhat upgraded tech, in March, 2020. What would you like to see in such a phone? Do you think it would take sales away from the iPhone 11 series? Can Apple compete in the mid-range of phones?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I am personally interested in finding out more about it.
I do not like large phones. I want them to easily fit in my pocket (mobile). If this phone has an upgraded processor with mid-range specs at a decent price, I will probably buy it.
Yes, I think Apple would do quite well in this segment.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Rumors are persistent that APple is going to come out with a lower cost iPhone, perhaps based on the iPhone 8 but with somewhat upgraded tech, in March, 2020. What would you like to see in such a phone? Do you think it would take sales away from the iPhone 11 series? Can Apple compete in the mid-range of phones?

I just don’t see Apple maintaining the home button, and if I had to guess, I would say they will introduce a new iPhone X🅁 - perhaps an iPhone XI🅁...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t expect a lot of people on here to be interested. Wonder what the general public thinks though.

Yeah, I’m interested in knowing that, too. Most of the people I know with iPhones either have an iPhone X🅁 , an iPhone X or one of the new iPhone 11 models. Based on iPhone sightings when I’m out and about, I see mostly iPhone X🅂 and iPhone X models.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
It’s been all but confirmed. January 2020 launch. Think SE is to 5S as SE2 is to 8.

SE2 will look exactly like an iPhone 8. It will come with A13 chip running iOS 13. The rear camera will not be upgraded but the front facing game will. The home button will include TouchID 2. Slight dimension changes of course to require cases etc. 4.7” LCD w/ Bezel.

Perfect device for those with the 6 or 7 holding on but watching their phones die slowly. This upgraded 8 will last years

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I have an 11 Pro and an 8. Something always drags me back to the 8. I like it's thinness, and lower bulk & heft. Somehow it's the perfect size for me.
But then I miss the camera of the 11 Pro, and in particular the night mode. The slightly longer screen is also a benefit, as I'm reading a lot on twitter, and having to scroll up and down on the 8 to read one longer tweet is kind of cumbersome.

So for me, a phone the size & weight of the 8, but with no or smaller bezels would be perfect. I don't need 3 cameras but would appreciate night mode. I can live with the smaller battery, as the 8 lasts an entire day for me. I don't even have to have the latest A13 processor, as the 8's A11 is fully sufficient imho. Also, the better/more expensive OLED screen of the newer models is not a must for me. I'm fine with the screen of the 8, or the LCD of the XR/11. I use 3D touch, but find haptic touch to be absolutely sufficient.

I hardly ever drop a phone. So on the 8, I use a dbrand back skin for (very basic scratch) protection and for improved grip. I do not dare to use the 11 Pro with no case or a dbrand skin only, because the huge asymmetrical camera bump on its back aways makes me feel concerned when putting the phone down on a desk or similar. Therefore I'm using an apple leather case for the 11 Pro, which makes it bulkier. On the other hand, there is no uncomfortable feeling when using the 8 with a skin only.

Also, I like touch Id. Although I got used to FID and the swiping, I still hav no problem with using the FP sensor, and even like it, in particular when wanting to check for news and not having to lift the phone to make FID wok. But I think both is good. All I'm saying is that I don't really care if a potential new SE version has TID or FID. Except that FID would allow for smaller bezels, of course.

So maybe I'm one of the potential targets that Apple may have in mind?

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I think that in all likeliness the successor to the SE will be a success, because iPhones have always sold well even though they might be outperformed by Android rivals...fair credit to Apple for a successful business strategy.

However, if it costs substantially more than $450-$500 (which it probably will) I don’t see how it would be easy to justify what essentially would be an iPhone 8 with a newer processor and software (if the rumours of an unchanged camera, battery and design are true). What now looks like an archaic design with an adequate but rapidly ageing camera system and barely adequate battery life, despite the new performance boosts, would be a tough sell to any consumer comparing it to another device, even an in-house rival.

The iPhone 11 would probably be a better device and investment, despite the higher price. Same performance but bigger display, newer design, better battery life and superior (and more) cameras.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I think that in all likeliness the successor to the SE will be a success, because iPhones have always sold well even though they might be outperformed by Android rivals...fair credit to Apple for a successful business strategy.

However, if it costs substantially more than $450-$500 (which it probably will) I don’t see how it would be easy to justify what essentially would be an iPhone 8 with a newer processor and software (if the rumours of an unchanged camera, battery and design are true). What now looks like an archaic design with an adequate but rapidly ageing camera system and barely adequate battery life, despite the new performance boosts, would be a tough sell to any consumer comparing it to another device, even an in-house rival.

The iPhone 11 would probably be a better device and investment, despite the higher price. Same performance but bigger display, newer design, better battery life and superior (and more) cameras.

You can get a new iPhone 8 directly from Apple for $449, $329 with trade in.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

For double the price.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm interested in knowing more about it. My wife has a SE which is becoming, frankly, excessively obsolete. She loves making photos and its camera is honestly too much archaic for nowadays parameters. Because of this she's becoming more and more user of my iPhone X, with its much superior camera.

For me, I migrated for a Note 10+ for my daily driver, and I cannot see myself coming back for the foreseeable future. But, and with a big BUT, I still love my Apple Watch and plan to continue using it until something at least comparable surges in the Android world, which I cannot see happening for the same foreseeable future. So I'll need an iPhone as my second device for this time as well, what is absolutely fine, I don't plan to abandon iPhones at all, just won't use it as my daily driver as, for now, the Note answers better to my needs.

As you can see, neither me or my wife need the top-tier iPhone anymore. But neither me or my wife has plans to ditch iPhone, as well. So, a revamped model with less whistles but upgraded internals to the last generation, with a payable price, will be much welcomed. A significantly better battery life will be a gladly welcomed plus. So, I'm looking forward for it, and as I write these words I'm talking to two other people which, with SEs in their desks, are saying they would love such new models as well.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
For double the price.

Almost double...the 11 costs $700 while the 8 costs $450. Unless Apple lowers the price by $100 for the new SE while using the same parts (with a newer, more expensive processor) which is unfortunately unlikely.

I hope I’m wrong...it would be great and interesting to see what a ‘budget’ iPhone would look like

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Almost double...the 11 costs $700 while the 8 costs $450. Unless Apple lowers the price by $100 for the new SE while using the same parts (with a newer, more expensive processor) which is unfortunately unlikely.

I hope I’m wrong...it would be great and interesting to see what a ‘budget’ iPhone would look like

I had heard $399 but of course it’s all rumors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2