Do you think the price of the next iPhone which will come out next month will exceed $2000?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I, too, remember the first iPhone costing around $600. A co-worker purchased one and there were no monthly plans for it at the time.

Thats what I remember at least, not $450.
That 600 dollars was also the subsidized price with a 2 year contract. which was mandatory for activation with Cingular at the time.

Competitors such as palm, Motorola, Nokia, and. Blackberry were all mocking apple and the iPhone for being too expensive. That didn’t work out well for any of them, since none of them make phones anymore.

There is even a video of Ballmer lambasting the price of the iPhone and the fact that it didn’t have a physical keyboard.
He claimed no one would buy it at that price.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’m of the opinion the XR “could” go up possibly $50 or $100 to account for what should be a camera equal to today’s XS and XS Max. It gives Apple a way to bump each starting price by $50 or even $100.

So as I see it in USD starting prices could be as follows which will let XR still be $200 and $300 less than higher end models.
XR Model: $849
XS Model: $1049
XS Max Model: $1149

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
It will probably be slightly more expensive than the current XS and XS Max (at least the same price). I suspect the Pro models will definitely be more expensive. But they shouldn’t cost $2000. Apple’s pricing might be unreasonable (in my opinion), but it’s not that silly.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
From what I have seen in the industry since the early days is prices never seem to come down? Sometimes in the event a product is not selling well, the manufacturer will lower the price of the product to try and jump start sales.

But Apple has been making money in wheelbarrows for a long time and I honestly think this might be an opportune time to lower the price on a new product, but I seriously doubt if that would ever happen.

I think the industry is saturated and must be creative not only with the products they launch, but also with the entry price point. But who knows for sure. We usually find out the pricing a week before the product launches, hopefully they do it differently this time around!

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
From what I have seen in the industry since the early days is prices never seem to come down? Sometimes in the event a product is not selling well, the manufacturer will lower the price of the product to try and jump start sales.

But Apple has been making money in wheelbarrows for a long time and I honestly think this might be an opportune time to lower the price on a new product, but I seriously doubt if that would ever happen.

I think the industry is saturated and must be creative not only with the products they launch, but also with the entry price point. But who knows for sure. We usually find out the pricing a week before the product launches, hopefully they do it differently this time around!

If Apple released an aluminium backed phone that (from the outside) looked exactly like the iPhone X, had inferior FaceID (or rear TouchID), had an A10 or A10X processor with 3GB RAM and 32/64GB of storage, and had a single rear 12MP f/1.8 camera like on the iPhone 8 and a 5.8 inch 828p LCD display like on the XR and a 3000mAh battery for $600, would that sell well?

Very unlikely they will release a successor for the iPhone SE :(

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
If Apple released an aluminium backed phone that (from the outside) looked exactly like the iPhone X, had inferior FaceID (or rear TouchID), had an A10 or A10X processor with 3GB RAM and 32/64GB of storage, and had a single rear 12MP f/1.8 camera like on the iPhone 8 and a 5.8 inch 828p LCD display like on the XR and a 3000mAh battery for $600, would that sell well?

Very unlikely they will release a successor for the iPhone SE :(

I do think a phone like the one you described would sell well. They need to start thinking about value added pricing. The days of just putting out a product with a few minor upgrades and keep rasing the prices is over.

The market is saturated and now folks are starting to want more for less. Who knows, maybe I am way off base here, but that’s what I hear from folks at my end who are thinking about upgrading. Time will tell.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I do think a phone like the one you described would sell well. They need to start thinking about value added pricing. The days of just putting out a product with a few minor upgrades and keep rasing the prices is over.

The market is saturated and now folks are starting to want more for less. Who knows, maybe I am way off base here, but that’s what I hear from folks at my end who are thinking about upgrading. Time will tell.

I agree...think slowing sales and longer consumer upgrade times are evidence of this. If Apple is to re-enter the mid-range market they’re going to have to up their game a lot. Like it or not, the mid-range market is 99% Android and they provide excellent value for money (e.g OnePlus 6T).

But even if the phone I just described was released, it would probably sell well, not because it is better than devices like the OP 6T (because it isn’t) but because (I predict) its buyers will be people who buy the XR or who are tired of $1000 phones.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree...think slowing sales and longer consumer upgrade times are evidence of this. If Apple is to re-enter the mid-range market they’re going to have to up their game a lot. Like it or not, the mid-range market is 99% Android and they provide excellent value for money (e.g OnePlus 6T).

But even if the phone I just described was released, it would probably sell well, not because it is better than devices like the OP 6T (because it isn’t) but because (I predict) its buyers will be people who buy the XR or who are tired of $1000 phones.

I agree and think Apple would be smart to at least research this possibility more. I, for one, will never pay over $1000 for a smartphone and believe many more people agree with me.

BuckyBadg

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Got kind of an indirectly related question. How much do you think the present crop of iPhones, the XR, XS and XS Max will come down in price once the 11’s are released (not related to any additional cost from tariff’s)? Maybe 20%?

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Got kind of an indirectly related question. How much do you think the present crop of iPhones, the XR, XS and XS Max will come down in price once the 11’s are released (not related to any additional cost from tariff’s)? Maybe 20%?

The 8 is $599 currently at Apple at lowest price point. The XR is $749 at lowest price point. So my best guess would be the current models will drop to:

XR: $650
XS: $850
XS Max: $900

Now that assumes they will continue selling those models. I think the carriers will sell the current so to be older models at least til stock is out but could see Apple keeping the only the 8 and 11. Hold onto the last iPhone made with a Home button and then only stock the 11 models, but what do I know.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It just seems like iphones, or any other phones for that matter are just going up in price every year. Even tho they say phone will come with this and that feature but honestly I have the iPhone X which I just got a few months ago and honestly it still feels like it’s with it’s time. Don’t need to overspend for the latest and greatest phone every year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods