Who is updating their iPhone this year? Why or Why not?

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
20/20 here.

It’s a pretty blatant copy when you compare the note 10 to the note 9, Samsung definitely has iPhone X envy.
1847320204dfe9548be835c473b5fafc.jpg

It’s a shame Samsung only managed to fit the third camera lens in the iPhone x’s pill shaped camera sensor, the flash and Tof sensor look like an afterthought slapped next to it.

Not sure where the focus on the back of the phone came from. Personally I could care less. Having the same notch for 3 generations is pathetic to say the least. That's beyond an afterthought,that's just straight up not trying.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I’ve been saying all along (even started a thread inquiring others thoughts) that my XS is perfect and a 2019 model is unnecessary. Well I also am the same guy that said would never give up the home button and ditched my 7 for an X only to go to an XS the next year. Now I’m leaning to getting a 2019 model, why...I have no answer other than it’s simply what I do in September each year. I feel slightly ridiculous tossing the full retail price out there with minimal return on my XS, but I know it’s inevitable.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where the focus on the back of the phone came from. Personally I could care less. Having the same notch for 3 generations is pathetic to say the least. That's beyond an afterthought,that's just straight up not trying.

Samsung copied the back of the iPhone X.
Not sure why your trying to avoid that, they even relocated the camera array to match the iPhone X .

Ofcourse the notch isn’t an afterthought apple has been developing Face ID since 2013. it’s a bit more than trying, they succeeded.

Face ID isn’t pathetic. What’s pathetic is 2d facial recognition and an unreliable fingerprint sensor that stares you in the face every time you look at your device.

3a1cc00af1901540a1090d92661f30d6.jpg

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung copied the back of the iPhone X.
Not sure why your trying to avoid that, they even relocated the camera array to match the iPhone X .

Ofcourse the notch isn’t an afterthought apple has been developing Face ID since 2013. it’s a bit more than trying, they succeeded.

Face ID isn’t pathetic. What’s pathetic is 2d facial recognition and an unreliable fingerprint sensor that stares you in the face every time you look at your device.

12d7aa3f753c4cb3144685be73a7d24e.jpg

So how about staying on topic. Which is "who is upgrading their iPhone X ". My initial response was if the 11 Pro has the same design for the front,then I'm going with the Note 10 Plus. It seems that you got your feelings hurt and turned this into backs of phones,Face ID etc. You apple fanboys are the worst. Having intelligent discussions is not your strong suit. So again,if there is not a design change then I am not upgrading. I could care less about the camera upgrade. It's the notch that I have an issue with. You'd figure it would have changed somewhat in three years.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So how about staying on topic. Which is "who is upgrading their iPhone X ". My initial response was if the 11 Pro has the same design for the front,then I'm going with the Note 10 Plus. It seems that you got your feelings hurt and turned this into backs of phones,Face ID etc. You apple fanboys are the worst. Having intelligent discussions is not your strong suit. So again,if there is not a design change then I am not upgrading. I could care less about the camera upgrade. It's the notch that I have an issue with. You'd figure it would have changed somewhat in three years.

Your the one that appears to be triggered by the fact that Samsung copied the two year old iPhone X. I was merely correcting you.

Can’t really have an intelligent conversation with anyone that claims Face ID to be pathetic.

Just remember, phantom touches are completely normal when you get your new Samsung.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Except it's not. We're talking 4 cameras compared to 2. Not even sure what that has to do with anything.

Glad to see I’m not the only one XD

Unfortunately there are some users who refuse to believe anything else can beat the iPhone in any way...everything Android must be an inferior copy of its Apple competitor in their minds. IPhones are excellent devices...so are Androids! Not hard to accept.

But I agree with the above posts (insults are bad).

However, whether the Note 10 copied the iPhone X’s design is entirely up to you ( no matter how unreasonable, strange or justified your view is). There is no right or wrong.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see I’m not the only one XD

Unfortunately there are some users who refuse to believe anything else can beat the iPhone in any way...everything Android must be an inferior copy of its Apple competitor in their minds. IPhones are excellent devices...so are Androids! Not hard to accept.

But I agree with the above posts (insults are bad).

However, whether the Note 10 copied the iPhone X’s design is entirely up to you ( no matter how unreasonable, strange or justified your view is). There is no right or wrong.

Don’t know about inferior (your words), but a poor copy nonetheless less.

Before iPhone X
c21807b8cd095fb9084db8c9e8da79d0.jpg

After iPhone X.
67524f46ae0083d637b9056b55ab6e53.jpg

Samsung even relocated the camera sensor.
Pretty cut and dry,

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I used the words ‘inferior copy’. You said ‘poor copy’. ‘Poor’ and ‘inferior’ are synonyms. I could even say that you yourself saying it’s a ‘poor’ copy suggests that it’s not a copy at all, otherwise it would be a good copy :p

And the Samsung Note 9 and S10 both had horizontal camera arrays...and were released after the iPhone X.

As for the Note 10...it’s subjective. Personally I don’t think you can call a phone that has a vertical camera array an iPhone X copy, and the Note 10 has 4 cameras, not 2 (and the flash isn’t in the module itself). But it depends on your view. There is no right answer.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I used the words ‘inferior copy’. You said ‘poor copy’. ‘Poor’ and ‘inferior’ are synonyms. I could even say that you yourself saying it’s a ‘poor’ copy suggests that it’s not a copy at all, otherwise it would be a good copy :p

Yes, I never said inferior, that was you.
Perhaps a Freudian slip:p

Yes a poor copy, because samsung only stretched the pill shaped camera array to fit in the third lens, and slapped the time of flight sensor and flash next to it, basically an after thought to the design. Not a very good copy of a great design, because apple fit everything into the pill shaped camera array.

If it was a good copy, it would be called a clone, but it’s not. And sales, or lack there of will reflect that.

And the Samsung Note 9 and S10 both had horizontal camera arrays...and were released after the iPhone X.

Yes, no claimed that Samsung was coping the iPhone X with the back of the note 9 or s10.

But that’s my point. Those two looked nothing like the iPhone X or the note 10 from the rear.

There are pictures that illustrate this point in my last post.

As for the Note 10...it’s subjective. Personally I don’t think you can call a phone that has a vertical camera array an iPhone X copy, and the Note 10 has 4 cameras, not 2 (and the flash isn’t in the module itself). But it depends on your view. There is no right answer.

It’s not subjective. it’s clear as day.

Samsung moved the camera array from the center to the top left hand corner after what 10 years of placing it in the center of their galaxy s and galaxy note series.

Then put it into a vertical pill shaped camera lens, apple has been using the pill shaped camera lens for the past 4 years on their dual lens smartphones. Horizontal pill shaped before face is and vertically after.

It is a bad copy of apple design because Samsung shoehorned a third lens into the camera array. And had to place the tof sensor and led flash outside the pill shaped array. That’s rather sloppy from a design perspective and why I called it an after thought. Had they stretched the pill design further it would looked even sillier.

I don’t know why people are claiming the note 4 to have 4 cameras, are you counting the one on the front as the fourth? There are only three camera lens and the time of flight sensor. Samsung did claim that the note 10 was made out of stainless steel. it’s not .

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
It’s subjective. It entirely depends on your personal opinion. You can’t force others to accept your views ._.

You think that the copying is obvious, I think that the fact that there is no copying is obvious. And if you look it up the P30 Pro in reviews and on its website is stated as having ‘quad cameras’...and it has the same layout as the Note 10.

Your opinion is your opinion. No matter how much you post you’re not changing my mind anytime soon XD

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It’s subjective. It entirely depends on your personal opinion. You can’t force others to accept your views ._.

You keep believing that but copies are rather objective and can be plainly identified, such as moving the camera sensor and using a pill shaped vertical layout, after apple did that of course. Unless you refuse to see what in front of you, that would on you and your skills of observation, or lack there of.

Some believe the world is flat.
I wouldn’t call that subjective, you probably would.

Don’t think you can characterize that as an opinion either.

You think that the copying is obvious, I think that the fact that there is no copying is obvious.

Some felt that Samsung didn’t copy apple design in the past too, even after Samsungs iPhone cloning manual was submitted into evidence at the trial.
It was a big book.

apple won btw. That’s not my opinion either.

And if you look it up the P30 Pro in reviews and on its website is stated as having ‘quad cameras’...and it has the same layout as the Note 10.

So you don’t know.

Your opinion is your opinion. No matter how much you post you’re not changing my mind anytime soon XD

Frankly it’s not my opinion that Samsung placed the camera into a pill shaped layout 2 years after the iPhone X, and even moved it to match the iPhone after 10 years of Samsung placing the camera in the center of the note series.
They actually did do that.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

You really need to read this again. You bombarding me with posts is wasting your time because this post, just like the previous 12 hasn’t and won’t change my mind.

Note: I’m getting the impression that some think this is an insult. It isn’t...wasn’t intended to be one and shouldn’t be interpreted as one.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You really need to read this again. You bombarding me with posts is wasting your time because this post, just like the previous 12 hasn’t and won’t change my mind.

Why are you here ? this is an Apple facing forum, back under your bridge.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Why are you here ? this is an Apple facing forum, back under your bridge.

Because I have an interest in iPhones and iPads as well as Android phones. I had an iPhone 5 and 5s which were brilliant while they lasted and I am currently typing on an iPad Pro 10.5 inch 2017 model which I find extremely useful and an excellent tablet. The only Android devices I’ve ever had were a laggy Huawei Y300 and my current S7 Edge which I also find to be a good device.

Even if I didn’t use/have Apple devices I would still be allowed to participate in this forum. As far as I’m aware I haven’t broken any rules, although I take from your comment and others that I’m not the most popular of users here. But for your information I’m not a troll.

If you have any questions about my profile pic I just chose it when I was setting up my account on AC Forums.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Clearly it’s a waste of time refuting your outlandish claims.

Replying to you quoting my posts is considered bombardment. That’s a rather strange point to take.

Wasn’t trying to change your mind when you quoted me and made some completely inaccurate claims.

You don’t even want to admit that Samsung placed the cameras in a vertical pill shaped array at the top left hand corner, instead of a horizontal camera array at the center of the phone in a bar shaped box like almost all notes before it.

You then started claiming that to be an opinion. But it happened.

When presented with ifixit tear down calling the note 10 logic board iPhone X like, you tried and failed to discredit ifixit.

I can’t remember but when you claimed the s10 was doing well in sales and when I presented a statement from Samsung confirming the opposite thereby refuting one of your inaccurate claims, was that also my opinion.

I know that didn’t change your mind either, Samsung must be wrong, right?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro