Does Time machine backup a partitioned hard drive?

pzikmanis

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking about partitioning the hard drive on my old iMac (2007) so that I can still run iWeb to publish my web site (I know! But I still haven't found a web site builder that I like). I've just ordered a new 21.5' iMac with a 1T flash drive. I'm wondering if I can just restore the new iMac from a Time machine backup and still have the partitioned hard drive on it.

21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display
With the following configuration:
3.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
1TB SSD storage

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Partitioning your hard drive essentially creates two separate and distinct sections on the single hard drive. Since Time Machine is running on that one instance, I don't believe it backs up the second partition. My instinct would tell me that it doesn't backup the second partition.

pzikmanis

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
OK. Thanks for that info. I do appreciate it since I have so little knowledge about this!
I was worried that would be the case.I guess then that the right course for me would be to wait until I set up the new iMac before I do the partition.
Wish me luck! And thanks again!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about partitioning the hard drive on my old iMac (2007) so that I can still run iWeb to publish my web site (I know! But I still haven't found a web site builder that I like). I've just ordered a new 21.5' iMac with a 1T flash drive. I'm wondering if I can just restore the new iMac from a Time machine backup and still have the partitioned hard drive on it.

21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display
With the following configuration:
3.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz
8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
1TB SSD storage

I found this article, hope it helps:

https://www.ibidinfo.com/blog/backup-multiple-mac-partitions-time-machine-or-drive-cloning/amp/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711