Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True, but we are not entitled to use any of the services.
No doubt about it.
The service belongs to the company. We have to decide whether we find the terms acceptable.
Right again.
Pretty safe bet very few even read them anyway, which is the way the like it. It's much easier to make those decisions based on what permissions the apps want, Google, Apple, etc., not so much.
Again, I’m in agreement. Still, the information collected should be limited to no more than what is sought when I visit a government building. Some things should be considered off-limits and I shouldn’t have to opt out of providing certain data.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
No doubt about it. Right again.
Again, I’m in agreement. Still, the information collected should be limited to no more than what is sought when I visit a government building. Some things should be considered off-limits and I shouldn’t have to opt out of providing certain data.

Can you give an example?
For instance, in order to use a Google assistant to its fullest potential it has to have access to your email so it can find flight information, hotel reservations, etc. and update you on changes, weather, whatever. Is this what you’re speaking about?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you give an example?
For instance, in order to use a Google assistant to its fullest potential it has to have access to your email so it can find flight information, hotel reservations, etc. and update you on changes, weather, whatever. Is this what you’re speaking about?

Go to the Google web page, scroll down to select “Privacy”. After that, select “Why Google Collects Data” and then scroll down to select “Go To Ad Settings”. You will see the screen depicted in the screenshot that’s already enabled.

IMG_0073.jpg

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Go to the Google web page, scroll down to select “Privacy”. After that, select “Why Google Collects Data” and then scroll down to select “Go To Ad Settings”. You will see the screen depicted in the screenshot that’s already enabled.

View attachment 125390

Right, but you can turn it off. Google is very transparent about what they do and their settings, though I guarantee most people bother looking at them.
I’m in no way defending Google. Like I’ve said previously, they all want our money and will find some way to get their hands in our pockets. While I love my Apple products, it amazes me how people here will defend the prices. To me it’s 6 of 1, half dozen the other. Use modern technology or go n the internet and your data/privacy is at risk. It’s how you use those products and services.
But I admit, this is just a hobby to me. I don’t have the knowledge to talk about this too deeply.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right, but you can turn it off. Google is very transparent about what they do and their settings, though I guarantee most people bother looking at them.
I’m in no way defending Google. Like I’ve said previously, they all want our money and will find some way to get their hands in our pockets. While I love my Apple products, it amazes me how people here will defend the prices. To me it’s 6 of 1, half dozen the other. Use modern technology or go n the internet and your data/privacy is at risk. It’s how you use those products and services.
But I admit, this is just a hobby to me. I don’t have the knowledge to talk about this too deeply.

No harm done, and I don’t view you as defending Google. You’re stating facts and I’m appreciative of you taking the time to comment.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Both are terrible at protecting our privacy. Privacy is an illusion in the digital world.

With that being said, Google is more transparent about their data practices than Apple is. But that's akin to saying cow pies smell better than pig ****. Apple remains quiet on everything and they think they know what's best. Only I know what's best for my personal data. I don't need a company telling me what I want.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who follows tech knows what I'm talking about.

I found these on Google in two seconds:
https://arstechnica.com/information...share-user-location-data-with-tracking-firms/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...er-download-your-privacy-data-year/521786002/

It's pretty clear Apple allows apps to track your location. They just don't tell you about it.

Articles like the one about apps and data are a bit misleading. The data they use or monetize includes no personal info. The data is entirely anonymous. It's actually a very common practice, and it's the same technique used to generate traffic reports in popular map apps (like Google's Maps app). A weather app I use does it. It helps keep apps free, that would otherwise be paid apps. I have no problem with it.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I’d have to say Apple just because their business model is more oriented towards selling hardware rather than learning from our data.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I trust Apple more simply because they have a smaller scale. That doesn't mean Google has leaked my information anyways...

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

The news fusion cyber security app is very interesting, I read it daily and one thing I’ve noticed is that android is often the target of more hackers. I don’t know if that’s because iOS controls their App Store more or locks it down more but I think Apple is a little more strict. I remember reading some months ago that it took Google play store a long time to pull a bunch of malicious apps whereas with Apple they do it pretty quick they don’t waste much time it seems. The issue are a lot of fake apps in the play store apparently.

I’ve been with Apple since 2010 since the iPad 1 and with iPhone since 2014 And I know I can trust Apple. But last summer I bought a Samsung galaxy tab A 7 inch just to learn android and when you only have eight gigs of storage space, you learn fast that there’s a lot more maintenance involved with android clearing cache and miscellaneous files etc. And I have had no problems with android so far but after reading about some fake android apps having the play store verification symbol just like the legitimate apps you have to wonder sometimes what you’re clicking. But it’s like someone told me once that you have to double check everything and know what you’re clicking, it’s also always good to read all the comments for an app etc. Another important thing that I noticed is that with android apps, the permissions are usually much more intrusive for what they want then with iOS. Unless iOS really hides the information, many of the android apps want access to your personal photos all of your contacts your Facebook your cameras and some even want the ability to delete or modify other apps! That is what really surprised me last week when I was going to install a game recommended by a friend, and the permissions just blew me away. I just deleted the app without playing it.

That said, I am still successfully using an iPhone 7 daily and it has been a perfect experience, I do really like the Motorola G6 and that is one that I will consider this summer along with an iPhone XR when I get a new phone. I’ve learned to appreciate the apps that android has especially for things like trivia and certain games they’re very different and more choices then on the Apple app world from what I’ve experienced in there. So I do appreciate both.

I use BitDefender VPN on all of my devices (same account) and there is only some issue at times with my banking app on iOS or retrieving my dashcam videos on the DC app on iPhone. For those things I temporarily turn off the VPN otherwise everything is great.

Bottom line I feel a little more vulnerable in the Google play store because I think people have to know what they’re clicking. With Apple I don’t worry about any of that stuff because I know they control it more.

Last edited:

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
By more game choices do you mean free? Because iOS has a ton of games, depending on what you’re looking for.

At the end of the day, Apple’s main source of revenue is hardware so it’s kind of disingenuous of them to gloat about privacy. They’re not a services company. Yet.

We’ll see how and when the tune changes.

For now the App Store is a safe bet so I’ll always go with the fruit company.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

The news fusion cyber security app is very interesting, I read it daily and one thing I’ve noticed is that android is often the target of more hackers. I don’t know if that’s because iOS controls their App Store more or locks it down more but I think Apple is a little more strict. I remember reading some months ago that it took Google play store a long time to pull a bunch of malicious apps whereas with Apple they do it pretty quick they don’t waste much time it seems. The issue are a lot of fake apps in the play store apparently.

I’ve been with Apple since 2010 since the iPad 1 and with iPhone since 2014 And I know I can trust Apple. But last summer I bought a Samsung galaxy tab A 7 inch just to learn android and when you only have eight gigs of storage space, you learn fast that there’s a lot more maintenance involved with android clearing cache and miscellaneous files etc. And I have had no problems with android so far but after reading about some fake android apps having the play store verification symbol just like the legitimate apps you have to wonder sometimes what you’re clicking. But it’s like someone told me once that you have to double check everything and know what you’re clicking, it’s also always good to read all the comments for an app etc. Another important thing that I noticed is that with android apps, the permissions are usually much more intrusive for what they want then with iOS. Unless iOS really hides the information, many of the android apps want access to your personal photos all of your contacts your Facebook your cameras and some even want the ability to delete or modify other apps! That is what really surprised me last week when I was going to install a game recommended by a friend, and the permissions just blew me away. I just deleted the app without playing it.

That said, I am still successfully using an iPhone 7 daily and it has been a perfect experience, I do really like the Motorola G6 and that is one that I will consider this summer along with an iPhone XR when I get a new phone. I’ve learned to appreciate the apps that android has especially for things like trivia and certain games they’re very different and more choices then on the Apple app world from what I’ve experienced in there. So I do appreciate both.

I use BitDefender VPN on all of my devices (same account) and there is only some issue at times with my banking app on iOS or retrieving my dashcam videos on the DC app on iPhone. For those things I temporarily turn off the VPN otherwise everything is great.

Bottom line I feel a little more vulnerable in the Google play store because I think people have to know what they’re clicking. With Apple I don’t worry about any of that stuff because I know they control it more.

By more game choices do you mean free? Because iOS has a ton of games, depending on what you’re looking for.

At the end of the day, Apple’s main source of revenue is hardware so it’s kind of disingenuous of them to gloat about privacy. They’re not a services company. Yet.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

By more game choices do you mean free? Because iOS has a ton of games, depending on what you’re looking.

Like I said, TRIVIA and CERTAIN games. I have a group of a half a dozen trivia friends and the trivia apps are 10 times more than what iOS offers HANDS DOWN. For what I am looking for in that category, android offers a lot. I think there are also more developers for android they are also not so strict with perhaps what they allow.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

If you think Apple ONLY is concerned about Hardware then you are gravely mistaken. According to many articles Apple is known for controlling the App Store and being strict just like this.....

6f690a586183b5da45d6d7b971948212.jpg