Who do you trust "more" with your data - Apple or Google?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Exactly. We will see ads, whether we choose them to be relevant for our wants and needs or not. It would be nice if we could get some form of compensation for our data though.

The beautiful ads should be compensation enough......OK, I jest.

I worry more about hacking and such. That is where Apple excels because of their very tightly controlled ecosystem. Google is doing a better job lately though.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Equal levels of trust. Personally, I enjoy Googles stance more. They are more transparent. Apple doesn’t seem to have the same levels of transparency.

Furthermore, Apple profits off of partnerships with Google. Why do we think Google Search is the default search engine on Apple products? Apple is no better, imo. They just do a good job at tricking us into thinking they are lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's going to be an interesting next couple of years seeing that Apple is going to heavily push services more. I think this because they will reporting users with their services now during earnings. If customers aren't buying hardware as much then let's see how much revenue you can get out of each customer. With that I'm curious to see the liberties they take with user data.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I trust Apple more. I have no trust in google.

This, and what others have said. I have no trust for Google. The only reason I use Chrome is it seems to be the only browser that syncs between Linux and iOS decently. Iif it wasnt for that, if say Safari was available on Linux, Id switch immediately. Ive also considered moving away from gmail, but Ive got so damn much tied to that account it would be next to impossible.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think it proves how marketing influences people’s perception of a company.
Let’s face it, how can we trust any large corporation who’s purpose is to take as much of our money as they can? I think people lean towards Apple being more trustworthy because of their many years of commercials on TV making us think it’s cool to use their products. Also, having physical locations where we can go meet their “geniuses” helps. Google, on the other hand, is much less visual so they must be “evil”. We’re not sure who they are.
I’m not sure if my hypothesis is true or not but does anyone have any thoughts?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Well, I'm cynical and have an inherent distrust. As @TgeekB mentioned, a corporation wants money. I don't trust any of them because... people.

Cynical people are skeptical and transparency is important. I am more comfortable with Google's level of transparency than I am Apple's. Apple's approach to transparency actually makes someone like me have more questions about what's going on.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You would be a fool to trust either one. They are both susceptible to hacking and the users of either are usually a weak point as far as security.

People should be somewhat paranoid when using either, and should learn at least some basic ins and outs about information security to be somewhat protected.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have come to the decision that once you have logged on to the grid, you have sacrificed some of your privacy and no matter how we come to hate google, Apple, Microsoft and the other tech companies who mine data, it’s the new digital age and it’s not going to get any better.

Though we complain about it, it’s just reality in the current age, I am afraid. Just my two cents worth.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it proves how marketing influences people’s perception of a company.
Let’s face it, how can we trust any large corporation who’s purpose is to take as much of our money as they can? I think people lean towards Apple being more trustworthy because of their many years of commercials on TV making us think it’s cool to use their products. Also, having physical locations where we can go meet their “geniuses” helps. Google, on the other hand, is much less visual so they must be “evil”. We’re not sure who they are.
I’m not sure if my hypothesis is true or not but does anyone have any thoughts?

Exactly. Apple has campaigned hard to lead us to believe they "take our security seriously". I'm sure they do. But so does everyone else. It's like with 3rd party keyboards. Many won't use them because of the warning notice one has to tap on. Yet they'll use Apple's default keyboard as if it's any safer. I trust SwiftKey just as much as I do Apple with the keyboards.
We do perceive Apple as being more secure, because they have told us they are many times. As far as collecting data, they all do it. And I don't care that they do, as I've never experienced anything negative as a result. It's part of the world of tech. I trust Google just as much as I do Apple. I just don't worry about the data collection stuff. If it makes them money so they can continue to offer us great products and services, then so be it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have come to the decision that once you have logged on to the grid, you have sacrificed some of your privacy and no matter how we come to hate google, Apple, Microsoft and the other tech companies who mine data, it’s the new digital age and it’s not going to get any better.

Though we complain about it, it’s just reality in the current age, I am afraid. Just my two cents worth.

Kids and young adults these days tend to associate privacy with keeping things from their parents when in fact, they're just being "sneaky". ..(laughing)...They hang out on social media in the manner we used to hang out at actual locations. In situation in which we would rush to assist an injured person, they'd hold up a smartphone and film the person suffering and then post in online for the world to see not even considering that person's feelings or the feelings of his or her family.

With that in mind, is it really surprising that entities like Google, Facebook, etcetera mine our data with the same disregard?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Kids and young adults these days tend to associate privacy with keeping things from their parents when in fact, they're just being "sneaky". ..(laughing)...They hang out on social media in the manner we used to hang out at actual locations. In situation in which we would rush to assist an injured person, they'd hold up a smartphone and film the person suffering and then post in online for the world to see not even considering that person's feelings or the feelings of his or her family.

With that in mind, is it really surprising that entities like Google, Facebook, etcetera mine our data with the same disregard?

Well put and it’s not going to change anytime soon and in fact it might only get worse.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Well put and it’s not going to change anytime soon and in fact it might only get worse.

I agree. It’s the world we live in. It’s up to us as individuals to decide how we protect ourselves while also enjoying the advantages this technology gives us.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

But the reality is that Google, Facebook, or any other tech company doesn't have the same disregard. You agree to it all as soon as you agree with the terms and conditions. Doesn't matter if it's Apple or Google or any social media company. And the fact is they have an interest in protecting your data because if they don't they could lose a huge amount of money.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But the reality is that Google, Facebook, or any other tech company doesn't have the same disregard. You agree to it all as soon as you agree with the terms and conditions. Doesn't matter if it's Apple or Google or any social media company. And the fact is they have an interest in protecting your data because if they don't they could lose a huge amount of money.

Technically, you’re right, but it’s one thing to have access to a service and then decide to give access to your data as opposed to not being able to use the service at all unless access to your data is given.

atlas9171

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Technically, you’re right, but it’s one thing to have access to a service and then decide to give access to your data as opposed to not being able to use the service at all unless access to your data is given.
True, but we are not entitled to use any of the services. The service belongs to the company. We have to decide whether we find the terms acceptable. Pretty safe bet very few even read them anyway, which is the way the like it. It's much easier to make those decisions based on what permissions the apps want, Google, Apple, etc., not so much.