Obviously not me because I have no problem saying that someone is a moron if you pay installments on a phone with interest. If you don't have disposable income to drop $1,000+ on a device, that's one thing and completely understood. It's another to just pay more for that device over time especially when you already proved that you don't have the disposable income. Again, this opinion of mine is based on something completely hypothetical but also something that I feel is coming in the future. These corporations know that people who can't afford something just can't help themselves but to buy crap on interest. It is coming, no question about it.
    Elaborate on this then. What is the issue if one pays interest on a phone? People pay interest on furniture purchases, cars, homes and a variety of other things. Explain why one is a "moron" for paying interest on a purchase over $1000?
    12-12-2018 01:25 PM
    Elaborate on this then. What is the issue if one pays interest on a phone? People pay interest on furniture purchases, cars, homes and a variety of other things. Explain why one is a "moron" for paying interest on a purchase over $1000?
    Because furniture and homes are actual necessities. Why would one "need" a $1,000+ iPhone with other cheaper options out there?

You're looking at it as a simple "purchase" while others feel that it's a "need". You pay interest on a high-end phone, you most likely don't need it. It's pretty simple.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    12-12-2018 01:41 PM
    Because furniture and homes are actual necessities. Why would one "need" a $1,000+ iPhone with other cheaper options out there?

You're looking at it as a simple "purchase" while others feel that it's a "need". You pay interest on a high-end phone, you most likely don't need it. It's pretty simple.
    Furniture isn't a necessity. It just makes life easier and more comfy. And even if you wanted to pretend it was, nobody "needs" furniture that costs over $1000. Walmart has couches for $200. You can get a decent used car for a couple grand rather than financing cars that are over $15/30/50/70k. The financing of a home, I'll give you. The only real alternative there would be renting (but there isn't any interest with a rental lol). People finance vacations, and jewelry (this is actually a pretty popular one lol).

I guess I just don't see the correlation between one financing something they don't need and being a moron for doing so. Sure, they may pay more by way of interest in the long run but if they can afford to do so, eh.

Honestly...by that metric we are all morons for even spending the money we spend on an iPhone whether financed or not lol. If our measurement is wasteful spending on items we don't need, it seems pretty wild that most of us have spent close to if not over $1000 on these new shiny iPhones we love.
    grover5 likes this.
    12-12-2018 02:43 PM
    Furniture isn't a necessity. It just makes life easier and more comfy. And even if you wanted to pretend it was, nobody "needs" furniture that costs over $1000. Walmart has couches for $200.
    I'll give you that. I've never paid a dollar of interest on a piece of furniture though.

I guess I just don't see the correlation between one financing something they don't need and being a moron for doing so.
    Then that's your issue.

Honestly...by that metric we are all morons for even spending the money we spend on an iPhone whether financed or not lol.
    Perhaps. But I wouldn't be stupid enough to pay interest on a phone. That's where the difference lies.

Again, this is all hypothetical. I have no issue with just paying off a phone over time for the same amount it is advertised at without paying extra. Once we go the route of paying 8% interest on an iPhone, I will lay into anyone who does it. If you do that, you simply can't afford it no matter how you try to justify it. There is a societal problem where people can't just say, "I can't afford it." There is no shame in saying that.
    TgeekB, joemd60, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    12-12-2018 02:59 PM
    I'll give you that. I've never paid a dollar of interest on a piece of furniture though.

Then that's your issue.

Perhaps. But I wouldn't be stupid enough to pay interest on a phone. That's where the difference lies.

Again, this is all hypothetical. I have no issue with just paying off a phone over time for the same amount it is advertised at without paying extra. Once we go the route of paying 8% interest on an iPhone, I will lay into anyone who does it. If you do that, you simply can't afford it no matter how you try to justify it. There is a societal problem where people can't just say, "I can't afford it." There is no shame in saying that.
    Well hey...your opinion is your opinion. Agree to disagree. I just don't believe one "can't afford" an item just because they finance it. Again...by these definitions we can't afford the homes we live in or the cars we drive. The ability to afford an item and it's level of necessity have zero relation to each other so I'm confused as to why you guys keep saying, "They are different because we need these items". Simply financing something doesn't mean you can't afford that item.

What it could mean (and what I believe it to mean more often than not) is you can't afford to pay it off RIGHT NOW but you can afford the monthly payment.

I have absolutely no shame in saying that I can't afford to buy the iPhone XS Max 512 GB outright at around $1700 at this moment. But I could easily afford paying $70 a month for it. Factoring interest (if applicable) doesn't change my ability to afford it monthly. It just increases the amount I'll be paying over time.

I'm only saying this because IF all carriers switching to financing with interest tomorrow...I'll probably be one of those folks doing it and I imagine in time so will many of you lol. I'm not even going to pretend otherwise. If it's the only option, and I need a new phone, I guess that's what I'll be doing. I have a family of 5 smartphones. The alternative is do without, buy outright for 5 phones or finance with interest? As long as the interest isn't outrageous, I'll probably be one of those "suckers" you all talk about lol.
    grover5, mumfoau and joemd60 like this.
    12-12-2018 04:02 PM
    Er... What about taking care of our own money and let the other's money be cared by its legit owner? Be a moroon or stupid, for me, is to live a life so meaningless and empty that someone simply chose to take care of others instead of yourself. What a no-sense conversation this topic turned on...

Just my two cents (with interest! These cents are mine and I pay it the way I want! )
    12-12-2018 04:33 PM
    Er... What about taking care of our own money and let the other's money be cared by its legit owner?
    I agree. Just don't be the type of person who spends outrageous amounts of money on iPhones that you don't need and then ask for rent control or complain about the cost of living all while fighting for a $15 minimum wage at the McDonald's you work at lol. At that point those people are counting my money. They exist because they're enabled instead of having things being pointed out to them. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. Call people out on their hypocrisy.

I know this has gone off the rails but the cost of Apple products has a place in this conversation because it does contribute to what people are putting into the economy. I see plenty, and I mean plenty of people who complain about the cost of living being too high for them all while holding their iPhone X in their hands.
    TgeekB, joemd60, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    12-12-2018 05:08 PM
    Sure....maybe they should save then purchase but who am I to judge. We all like our nice things.
    I’m certainly not judging anyone and I hope I didn’t imply that.

What I am saying (read the multiple factual articles regarding credit card debt) is that we (the U.S. at least) are a debt society and many, many people are in debt so deep they will never pay it off. All large corporations know this and many don’t care.

So, if you are the person who needs to use credit, with interest, to buy a >$1000 smartphone, when there are less expensive choices, I think you should think about it before falling for the marketing hype. If you are doing it to spread out the payments and you are a responsible person who can afford and will make the monthly payments, so be it. Ultimately, it’s our choice and we have to live with the consequences.

I hope I was more clear this time.
    12-12-2018 05:16 PM
    I know this has gone off the rails but the cost of Apple products has a place in this conversation because it does contribute to what people are putting into the economy. I see plenty, and I mean plenty of people who complain about the cost of living being too high for them all while holding their iPhone X in their hands.
    100% agree.
    It’s about being responsible. Some are and some aren’t.
    12-12-2018 05:18 PM
    There is a downside for someone like me since carriers carrier lock financed devices which means I have no choice but to carry around two devices.

In regards to the thread, I think it's inevitable that people will pay for $1,000+ devices. However, I see some push back at this time that could temporarily lower the costs.
    If you get the device from Apple, it’s unlocked.
    12-12-2018 08:01 PM
    At the end of the day. Anything you pay interest on that loses value is a bad idea.
    12-12-2018 09:05 PM
    Bingo!!!

Let me ask this.

When "you" bought your car, did you write a check for it? When "you" bought your home, did you pay cash?

No?

Then you shouldn't have bought it as you obviously can't afford it.

That's the attitude of some people.
    My parents paid cash for their house. They still finance their phones, cause why not. It's interest free, so it makes sense to finance unless you are a carrier hopper - and most people aren't.
    04-05-2019 02:41 AM
87 ... 234