Apple May Be Pricing Me Out Of Their Product Lines

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I've always thought the furore at Apple's pricing has been overblown. The Macbook is getting up there now but everything else is in line with the rest of the premium market. Isn't the Galaxy Fold like $2500?

You make a good point! Apple isn't the only one with expensive phones. I just think that's part of it. Finding the right ecosystem is an individual choice. What works for one, might not work for the next. I've chosen Apple... but I respect my choice won't work for everyone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I've always thought the furore at Apple's pricing has been overblown. The Macbook is getting up there now but everything else is in line with the rest of the premium market. Isn't the Galaxy Fold like $2500?

The Fold is a niche device not really intended for the average consumer though. Not sure I'd use that as an example of higher prices amongst other companies. Though I will say, the Galaxy line, apart from the Fold, is close to Apple in pricing. But the MacBooks are incredibly pricy.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You make a good point! Apple isn't the only one with expensive phones. I just think that's part of it. Finding the right ecosystem is an individual choice. What works for one, might not work for the next. I've chosen Apple... but I respect my choice won't work for everyone.

But there’s more choice with Android.
With Apple you only get this expensive phone or this other really expensive phone. Android provides phones for every budget.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But there’s more choice with Android.
With Apple you only get this expensive phone or this other really expensive phone. Android provides phones for every budget.

But in my experience you get what you pay for with android. Ive had multiple failures with android devices. One day after spending three hours on YouTube trying to trouble shoot yet another issue I finally just threw up my hands and said I’m done. Now I’ve used Symbian, BB OS, palm web OS, BB 10 and android through Oreo. Android just required way too much maintenance from me. And I like to tinker. But I don’t like getting ripped off and having to tinker regularly to ensure consistent performance.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
But in my experience you get what you pay for with android. Ive had multiple failures with android devices. One day after spending three hours on YouTube trying to trouble shoot yet another issue I finally just threw up my hands and said I’m done. Now I’ve used Symbian, BB OS, palm web OS, BB 10 and android through Oreo. Android just required way too much maintenance from me. And I like to tinker. But I don’t like getting ripped off and having to tinker regularly to ensure consistent performance.
I have had a completely different experience.
For instance, I currently have a Nokia 7.1 and a BlackBerry Key2 LE. Both of which are much less expensive than an iPhone but produce excellent results. I've probably had a dozen or more Android phones and no failures or issues (one Motorola that I had some slight storage issues with). It's all about perspective and what works for you. IPhone are excellent, I had the original and many more, but they are overpriced and they have lost me.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had a completely different experience.
For instance, I currently have a Nokia 7.1 and a BlackBerry Key2 LE. Both of which are much less expensive than an iPhone but produce excellent results. I've probably had a dozen or more Android phones and no failures or issues (one Motorola that I had some slight storage issues with). It's all about perspective and what works for you. IPhone are excellent, I had the original and many more, but they are overpriced and they have lost me.

You have to go based on your experience. That’s what we all do ultimately.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I understand the pricing criticism but Apple devices are so reliable I bought and Apple refurb MacBook Air and my iPhone XS Max on swappa for something like $800.

It's still a lot of money but I'm okay with paying that.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes Apple charges a premium for a premium product. So does everyone else.
These products from Apple last and last, so over time not so expensive. Unless of course you change your phone every year,which is your choice and cost.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, they are expensive. But nobody dragged me kicking and screaming to buy my Apple products. We made a conscious choice. We aren’t rolling in money, so we budget, plan and save for when we have to purchase something.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
iPhone market share is dropping for a reason. Everyone has a limit and more and more people are reaching theirs.
I hope, for the sake of all those that continue to support them, that Apple realizes this. We’ll see.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
iPhone market share is dropping for a reason. Everyone has a limit and more and more people are reaching theirs.
I hope, for the sake of all those that continue to support them, that Apple realizes this. We’ll see.

I think the biggest reason is because where else can Apple bring in a new market? It used to be that it was only available on one carrier in the U.S. and available in only a few countries. Fast-forward a few years and every carrier in the U.S. has it. So that expanded their market that much more. Then came availability in China. It's just tough to find a new market for big growth unless they find one on Mars.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think the biggest reason is because where else can Apple bring in a new market? It used to be that it was only available on one carrier in the U.S. and available in only a few countries. Fast-forward a few years and every carrier in the U.S. has it. So that expanded their market that much more. Then came availability in China. It's just tough to find a new market for big growth unless they find one on Mars.

If you mean a market for expensive phones, you are correct.
Android, on the other hand, has a phone for every pocketbook.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
And what happens when Android manufacturers run out of pocketbooks? Growth staggers.

I simply pointed out that iPhone market share had decreased significantly, not stagnated. I believe (my opinion only) that, as the OP questioned, it may be because of the price of their devices.
Android has its own issues but it’s not lack of a diversified smartphone lineup.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I simply pointed out that iPhone market share had decreased significantly, not stagnated. I believe (my opinion only) that, as the OP questioned, it may be because of the price of their devices.
Android has its own issues but it’s not lack of a diversified smartphone lineup.

iPhones also last longer and get updates for longer. I know many iPhone users who simply get the battery replaced now as opposed to upgrading. I don’t really know anyone who goes longer than two years on an android. All of that said, I think Apple would be wise to drop their prices slightly. I’m fine paying a premium for a device that will last me four or five years but some people can’t afford that high an expense. To be honest I could have just kept using my 7+. It was perfectly fine and still is ( I sold it to a friend). But I wanted the gesture as I missed them from webos and BB10. And this screen is almost as big as my playbook screen from back in the day.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
iPhones also last longer and get updates for longer. I know many iPhone users who simply get the battery replaced now as opposed to upgrading. I don’t really know anyone who goes longer than two years on an android. All of that said, I think Apple would be wise to drop their prices slightly. I’m fine paying a premium for a device that will last me four or five years but some people can’t afford that high an expense. To be honest I could have just kept using my 7+. It was perfectly fine and still is ( I sold it to a friend). But I wanted the gesture as I missed them from webos and BB10. And this screen is almost as big as my playbook screen from back in the day.

No doubt that iPhones last long and have a long update history. It would be interesting to know how many keep theirs more than a couple of years, just as you mentioned Android. I’ve read recently that people are keeping their phones longer because there hasn’t been much innovation lately to make them change. If true you could be spot on.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No doubt that iPhones last long and have a long update history. It would be interesting to know how many keep theirs more than a couple of years, just as you mentioned Android. I’ve read recently that people are keeping their phones longer because there hasn’t been much innovation lately to make them change. If true you could be spot on.

I also think phones are much better than they used to be. They all perform great for the most part. After I wrote my last post I remembered a couple folks I know still on the original pixel. They don’t get updates anymore but they are very happy with their phones still.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative