Apple May Be Pricing Me Out Of Their Product Lines

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That and iMessage, FaceTime, The App Store, Family Sharing, Apple Music, Apple Watch, Activity App, Find Your Friends, Workouts, etc....
iMessage and FaceTime I haven't missed at all. I think I used FaceTime once or twice in 4 years. Did a lot of Skyping, though...

All my apps were either on Android, or literally replaced with stock device software. My 3 camera apps from iOS are all necessary on Android, for example (Native RAW Capture and Pro Mode). I don't use many apps. I do need more storage for the amount of training video I take (which has to be high frame rate, otherwise it's unusable).

Find My Friends is creepy AF, and I'd never enable that for anyone.

Tried Apple Music on release and never again after having to redo my entire Library due to it replacing all of my downloaded purchases with DRM tracks. Apple Music is on Android, as well.

Don't wear wrist watches (and don't want one).

Android has Health/Fit apps and workout stuff. That's completely ignorable.

I think it really depends on what other Apple hardware you have.

Things that drove me away:

1. Inability to set default apps.

2. Poor Background Data Sync exoerience

3. Apple Photos is awful and managing RAW files is borderline impossible. It auto downscaled videos and converted everything you dragged out of it to 720p/JPEG on macOS for years u till they started fixing it.

4. Limiting Video Formats to HEVC at some Framerates and Resolutions, while Samsung devices still allow H.264. HEVC is literally the worst CODEC to drag I to any video editor. iPhone video was also problematic in a lot of NLEs on Windows (Video but bo sound, green video frames, black video frames, blatantly not accepted unless HEVC, etc.). The entire Photo/Vjdeo workflow exasperated me.

5. Still feels tied to iTunes. I cut music to use I sports and cannot get it in the iPhone Music App without adding it to an album in iTunes and Synching it from there to the phone. Cloud Storage doesn't work as the music controls there are terrible (no repeat single track, etc.)

6. Apple is designing a lot of their software for kindergarteners; so I am out of their target market as far as software and services are concerned (iWorks and iLife apps, etc.).

7. eBooks and AudioBooks are laughably priced compared to Amazon, so no use investing there... and the Kindle/Audible experience is superior on Android.

8. Waiting a while year for minor app updates.

9. Price increases accompanied by no value increases.

10. Locks you to Macs to integrate well with a PC, and I've been replacing mine with PCs the past year. Only left with one Late 2013 iMac, and that's probably gone soon. It's basically a Chrome Box, at this point.

11. I want a fingerprint scanner. Didn't think this would be an issue, but I think I'm going to keep that option for myself as long as humanly possible. I didn't want to kept the 8 plus because the form factor was wearing thin on me, and the camera was awful and overrated.

12. The media players/viewers (particularly audio and video) are awful on iOS. Mediocre equalizer, no variable speed playback, poor zooming, etc.

13. Android is more productive. It just let's you work comfortably instead of fighting you every step of the way [and never giving in] like iOS.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I paid 499 for the very 1st iPad model in 2010. It had only been available a few days when I bought it. Last week I paid just 25 dollars more for a brand new iPad Pro 10.5. The original was 16gb and the 10.5 is a 64gb. I can’t really complain about iPad pricing.
In 2010 720p was the standard with 1080p displacing it. Smartphone screens were WVGA and qHD, and the iPad was 1280x1024 or something...

Music was always only in MP3 or AAC lossy compressed formats, often at lower bit rates.

Phones were taking 3-5MP photos with some super aggressive JPEG compression.

OS FW was much lighter than it is today. Apps were tiny, and the standout games were Angry Birds and Words with Friends...

16GB was standard storage back then. Some flagships still shipped with 8GB back then.

64GB on the eve of 2019 when 4K is pretty standard, cameras on phones re taking 12MP+ images and RAW, SIGNIFICANTLY higher app, game and FW sizes, etc. is really pushing it at those high price points.

And you lose about 8% capacity to formatting and their different capacity counting system, ;-)

So its more like a 55GB iPad Pro.

64GB is fine with expandable storage, the same way 128GB in MBP is fine for many if not most because it has a USB slot to plug a data drive into it. Without that option, I definitely need more, and the increasing cost of storage upgrades ON TOP OF increasing device prices just deleted the Xs as am option for me.

Especially considering it just isn't delivering much value to me in terms of software [capabilities].

The whole reason Apple went to HEVC and HEIF (despite it often looking WORSE than JPEG) was to give themselves room to skimp on storage. You get 2012-era quality images to go with your 2012-era storage capacity.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
One of the things I've noticed that's happened since the new Apple product launch is mobile companies (at least, Tmobile will) are now willing to finance devices for up to 3 years to make the monthly rates more affordable for those of us who work for a living. :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I've noticed that's happened since the new Apple product launch is mobile companies (at least, Tmobile will) are now willing to finance devices for up to 3 years to make the monthly rates more affordable for those of us who work for a living. :)
Yeah they certainly made prices easier in the short term. But long term it's gonna add up still.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah they certainly made prices easier in the short term. But long term it's gonna add up still.

But only to the price of the device.

For example, the XS Max is $1099.99 (64 gig, space gray). At tmobile, you put $349.99 down and $20.84/month for 36 months. Still comes to to $1099.99. Well actually, $1100.23. But I'll give you $.25 if it's that big a deal.

So it's really the same $1100 regardless of how you buy it.

anon(8115241)

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
But only to the price of the device.

For example, the XS Max is $1099.99 (64 gig, space gray). At tmobile, you put $349.99 down and $20.84/month for 36 months. Still comes to to $1099.99. Well actually, $1100.23. But I'll give you $.25 if it's that big a deal.

So it's really the same $1100 regardless of how you buy it.

I’m not paying no one for three years. I rather save $25 a week for one year to get a phone. I buy my phones out right. You can even sell the old one for a good amount if you take care of your devices. I always hear people say they use their phones naked but for me, I can’t do that because scratches and cracks decrease the value. I sold my 256gb 8 plus for $750 and bought my XS Max 256gb for $1340 on launch day. So in the end, I spend $590 because I keep my devices in great condition. Trading that phone into Apple would have gifted me less value for my 8 plus. Finally, I don’t complain about prices because I have a plan to get what I want. So if the prices get outrageous for me, then I will find another way to upgrade every year

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I buy my phones out right.

Oh I agree 100%. I pay for mine up front every time. However, a lot of people I know cannot do that. So if the mobile carriers make it easy for users to buy new phones, I'm all for it.

The point I was trying to make was if you buy your device outright or finance for 24/36 months, it still comes out to the same price so that gives a lot of people more of an option to buy a new device.

anon(8115241)

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Oh I agree 100%. I pay for mine up front every time. However, a lot of people I know cannot do that. So if the mobile carriers make it easy for users to buy new phones, I'm all for it.

The point I was trying to make was if you buy your device outright or finance for 24/36 months, it still comes out to the same price so that gives a lot of people more of an option to buy a new device.

The thing is; why finances when you can buy outright. People can buy outright but I guess don’t like parting ways with their money because it is the same thing

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The thing is; why finances when you can buy outright. People can buy outright but I guess don’t like parting ways with their money because it is the same thing

Several reasons.

First, if you are planning on keeping your device for a couple of years, then 24 or 36 monthly payments may fit your budget better than a one time payment. Second, not many people these days can afford to drop $1000 for a new phone. You and I can, sure. But not everyone is in the same financial situation. Third, I personally don't need the latest and greatest. I'm still rocking the 7 Plus that I bought outright and will continue to do so until (a) it takes a nasty unrepairable fall or (2) the os no longer works on it.

Again, if you plan on holding onto the device for at least two years, then monthly payments may be better. You're spending the same amount of money regardless of which way you go.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
This might be the first two year cycle that I don’t upgrade my phone. Mainly because my current 7 works fine, and because the iPhone I want is too expensive to warrant a switch. The iPhone XS is beautiful, there’s no denying it. But it’s hard to justify the price when all my phones up to this point have been close to five hundred dollars less.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Plus, IMHO. While the new iPhones are pretty expensive. I did look at the prices of the newer Android devices.
i.e. the Note 9, Samsung S9+, or even the Pixel.
Granted they are less money, they are not that much cheaper.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
But in comparison, you get more bang for your buck with something like a Note 9.
Plus, IMHO. While the new iPhones are pretty expensive. I did look at the prices of the newer Android devices.
i.e. the Note 9, Samsung S9+, or even the Pixel.
Granted they are less money, they are not that much cheaper.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
But in comparison, you get more bang for your buck with something like a Note 9.

Maybe so, until something goes wrong. I guess I like the security of knowing there is a Genius Bar close by when problems arise, timely updates, etc.
I was with Android 5 years ago, while they have come a long way since then.
I still feel IOS is a more stable operating system, but that’s only my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Several reasons.

First, if you are planning on keeping your device for a couple of years, then 24 or 36 monthly payments may fit your budget better than a one time payment. Second, not many people these days can afford to drop $1000 for a new phone. You and I can, sure. But not everyone is in the same financial situation. Third, I personally don't need the latest and greatest. I'm still rocking the 7 Plus that I bought outright and will continue to do so until (a) it takes a nasty unrepairable fall or (2) the os no longer works on it.

Again, if you plan on holding onto the device for at least two years, then monthly payments may be better. You're spending the same amount of money regardless of which way you go.

Perfectly stated, sir....

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Many feel that way but I never have the issues many have. Maybe it's because of my weekly reboot. I don't know. And, I can do a lot of stuff myself.

Prime example is the 512GB Note I bought from Swappa. It's unlocked so at present, WiFi calling won't work with Big Red. But, I know how to flash the Verizon firmware to resolve the issue if needed. But, since they fixed it for the S9/S9+....
Maybe so, until something goes wrong. I guess I like the security of knowing there is a Genius Bar close by when problems arise, timely updates, etc.
I was with Android 5 years ago, while they have come a long way since then.
I still feel IOS is a more stable operating system, but that’s only my opinion.

Lol

(GASP!).....That’s ..... blasphemy....Off with your head!....(laughing)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Although I set aside funds for the latest device each year (Verizon can keep their 24 monthly payments) I so want to become again the person who uses a device for more than a year like I do with computers. Lol
Several reasons.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Although I set aside funds for the latest device each year (Verizon can keep their 24 monthly payments) I so want to become again the person who uses a device for more than a year like I do with computers. Lol

Still using a 2011 iMac, 2013 Dell Precision M4700, two iPhone 7 Plus', one iPhone 8 Plus, and one original Apple TV.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
iMessage and FaceTime I haven't missed at all. I think I used FaceTime once or twice in 4 years. Did a lot of Skyping, though...

All my apps were either on Android, or literally replaced with stock device software. My 3 camera apps from iOS are all necessary on Android, for example (Native RAW Capture and Pro Mode). I don't use many apps. I do need more storage for the amount of training video I take (which has to be high frame rate, otherwise it's unusable).

Find My Friends is creepy AF, and I'd never enable that for anyone.

Tried Apple Music on release and never again after having to redo my entire Library due to it replacing all of my downloaded purchases with DRM tracks. Apple Music is on Android, as well.

Don't wear wrist watches (and don't want one).

Android has Health/Fit apps and workout stuff. That's completely ignorable.

I think it really depends on what other Apple hardware you have.

Things that drove me away:

1. Inability to set default apps.

2. Poor Background Data Sync exoerience

3. Apple Photos is awful and managing RAW files is borderline impossible. It auto downscaled videos and converted everything you dragged out of it to 720p/JPEG on macOS for years u till they started fixing it.

4. Limiting Video Formats to HEVC at some Framerates and Resolutions, while Samsung devices still allow H.264. HEVC is literally the worst CODEC to drag I to any video editor. iPhone video was also problematic in a lot of NLEs on Windows (Video but bo sound, green video frames, black video frames, blatantly not accepted unless HEVC, etc.). The entire Photo/Vjdeo workflow exasperated me.

5. Still feels tied to iTunes. I cut music to use I sports and cannot get it in the iPhone Music App without adding it to an album in iTunes and Synching it from there to the phone. Cloud Storage doesn't work as the music controls there are terrible (no repeat single track, etc.)

6. Apple is designing a lot of their software for kindergarteners; so I am out of their target market as far as software and services are concerned (iWorks and iLife apps, etc.).

7. eBooks and AudioBooks are laughably priced compared to Amazon, so no use investing there... and the Kindle/Audible experience is superior on Android.

8. Waiting a while year for minor app updates.

9. Price increases accompanied by no value increases.

10. Locks you to Macs to integrate well with a PC, and I've been replacing mine with PCs the past year. Only left with one Late 2013 iMac, and that's probably gone soon. It's basically a Chrome Box, at this point.

11. I want a fingerprint scanner. Didn't think this would be an issue, but I think I'm going to keep that option for myself as long as humanly possible. I didn't want to kept the 8 plus because the form factor was wearing thin on me, and the camera was awful and overrated.

12. The media players/viewers (particularly audio and video) are awful on iOS. Mediocre equalizer, no variable speed playback, poor zooming, etc.

13. Android is more productive. It just let's you work comfortably instead of fighting you every step of the way [and never giving in] like iOS.

I agree with most of what you said. Android is simply much more flexible than Apple’s iOS, and that is its greatest strength and weakness in my opinion.

With Android, if you want to make an app you love a default browser/launcher etc, it’s all cool and easy. With iOS, you get a big ‘hell no’ from Apple...whether you like it or not you’re stuck with default Apple apps like Photos or Safari, even if you find them mediocre.

Also, iPhone pricing is too high for what it is. I’m not saying iPhones aren’t great devices, because they are, but they are overpriced. For example, the XR got a hell of a lot of praise...but only really because it achieved things that nobody thought the iPhone would achieve, even if Android already had (e.g decent battery life, reasonable price). And even then it still had a sub 1080p LCD ._.

I switched from my trusty iPhone 5s to a Samsung a couple of years back and don’t regret it. Here are a few of my personal reasons in addition to the ones above:

1. iCloud. 5GB of storage is literally nothing when you add stuff up, and Apple pushes you really hard with notifications to buy more space. With Samsung, you get 15GB free storage (3x more!). Add in Google photos’ unlimited cloud high quality storage with Google Drive and it’s a no-brainer.

2. Default apps. Photos is decent but outclassed by Google photos by a long shot. The default camera app lacks enough options. Safari is adequate but Samsung Internet is much better. iMessage is just boring and utilitarian, along with Maps. And Mail is frustrating in terms of how hard it is to organise emails and block people.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I've always thought the furore at Apple's pricing has been overblown. The Macbook is getting up there now but everything else is in line with the rest of the premium market. Isn't the Galaxy Fold like $2500?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods