Phone never feels slow unless you using a different one from what you have.
    That's very untrue.

Otherwise they wouldn't have to devote an entire iOS release to fixing bad performance on older devices... again.

Some of us remember iOS 8 ;-)

And we all know how Yosemite made older Macs feel... particularly those with 4GB RAM or less.

That's ignoring how the better hardware feels in comparison to older devices. This all compounds. Also read what I wrote. Perception is reality.

If you're on a 6 Plus and see someone using a 7 Plus. You're going to perceive the radical increase in performance. That's not going to go away quickly when you use your old device.

This is why every carrier store has the new phones sitting out there for you to touch and play with ;-) Most people make comparative purchase decisions, and you often see people playing with new phones while comparing to their old phones on the spot.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    11-10-2018 04:03 PM
    I don’t feel Apple is forcing me out. They’re just making it harder to upgrade every year or every other year.
    But in the end, I’ll always end up buying their most expensive iPhone on launch day when I want to upgrade.
    joemd60, anon(8115241) and libra89 like this.
    11-10-2018 04:08 PM
    That's very untrue.

Otherwise they wouldn't have to devote an entire iOS release to fixing bad performance on older devices... again.

Some of us remember iOS 8 ;-)

And we all know how Yosemite made older Macs feel... particularly those with 4GB RAM or less.

That's ignoring how the better hardware feels in comparison to older devices. This all compounds. Also read what I wrote. Perception is reality.

If you're on a 6 Plus and see someone using a 7 Plus. You're going to perceive the radical increase in performance. That's not going to go away quickly when you use your old device.

This is why every carrier store has the new phones sitting out there for you to touch and play with ;-) Most people make comparative purchase decisions, and you often see people playing with new phones while comparing to their old phones on the spot.
    I see people everyday with 5s and even six and it works perfectly fine. As I said again, go get a one plus and see how that works for couple years. People who have iPhones know why they spend that much for it
    joemd60 likes this.
    11-10-2018 04:55 PM
    If you truly do the math paying a premium for an “iPhone experience” doesn’t add up. While I love my iPhones there are plenty of android phones that are perfectly adequate and WAY cheaper. The moto G6 comes to mind. Plenty snappy and checks almost all of the boxes for $200. Even if you have to upgrade every other year that’s still 8 for the price of one iPhone X’s max 512 gig. So 16 years of phones vs 1 iPhone? I’ll be getting the Xr and keeping it as long as it’s usable and if Apple continues on the price raising path then I’ll just get cheaper android phones. Main reason I’m staying with Apple this time is because my whole family (literally everyone) has iPhones so the experience is still worth it since I’ll only have about $200 out of pocket for my Xr after $300 Sam’s club gift card and selling my 6 plus.
    Not Quite Right and libra89 like this.
    11-10-2018 05:39 PM
    I used to think that way about android devices. But I had three die on me in roughly 14 months. A nexus 6 couldn’t connect to cell towers. Antenna died. So I got a nexus 6p. Bootloop of death. Then I got a one plus 3t. Google play store stopped opening two months in. That sure made it difficult to use. I almost forgot my nexus 9 tablet did the bootloop of death as well. I only spent around $500 to $650 for each device. Bargain right? Not so much. Plus I like my privacy. Not a fan of giving google money and still having to give them all my data forever on top of that. No thanks. My iPhones have lasted and have not lost performance. They are pricing them too high right now but with limited options they are the beat buy for me and I can afford. If I didn’t like them I’d probably not be hanging around imore much. You know what I mean?
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-10-2018 06:29 PM
    ....While I love my iPhones there are plenty of android phones that are perfectly adequate and WAY cheaper. The moto G6 comes to mind. Plenty snappy and checks almost all of the boxes for $200. Even if you have to upgrade every other year that’s still 8 for the price of one iPhone X’s max 512 gig. ....
    While I agree, the iPhone user experience keeps me using the iPhone. To 'me', it's more pleasurable than using an Android device, but that's Just Me, D. With that in mind, if I get to the point where I think Apple has priced the iPhone (across the board) at a level I'm unwilling to pay then I will indeed take my business elsewhere.
    11-10-2018 06:57 PM
    While I agree, the iPhone user experience keeps me using the iPhone. To 'me', it's more pleasurable than using an Android device, but that's Just Me, D. With that in mind, if I get to the point where I think Apple has priced the iPhone (across the board) at a level I'm unwilling to pay then I will indeed take my business elsewhere.
    Yeah as long as they keep a “new” as in this model year device that’s not a huge compromise but priced relatively close to the Xr then I’m ok. If the “value” phone starts creeping up to $1k then I’m out.
    Just_Me_D, libra89 and mumfoau like this.
    11-10-2018 07:04 PM
    All of this back and forth about cheaper phones with same/better features/specs is draining LOL...To each their own🤷🏾*♀️

One of the big reasons I stick with Apple is convenience. My iPhone 8 logic board died > I dropped it off at the Apple Store > it was ready in less than a week. Can’t walk into any other manufacturer stores. I did the same with my, at the time, 5 year old MacBook...they repaired it for free & it’s good as new.

Everyone’s reasons for choosing certain items/companies is their own, regardless of price. We should be able to discuss things without calling people “desperate”, or “stupid”, or anything else that isn’t their name.
    cwbcpa, joemd60, libra89 and 5 others like this.
    11-10-2018 09:29 PM
    Wow, this escalated quickly. (Ron Burgundy voice)
    11-11-2018 05:46 AM
    Wow, this escalated quickly. (Ron Burgundy voice)
    🤣
    mumfoau and libra89 like this.
    11-11-2018 06:59 AM
    All of this back and forth about cheaper phones with same/better features/specs is draining LOL...To each their own*

One of the big reasons I stick with Apple is convenience. My iPhone 8 logic board died > I dropped it off at the Apple Store > it was ready in less than a week. Can’t walk into any other manufacturer stores. I did the same with my, at the time, 5 year old MacBook...they repaired it for free & it’s good as new.

Everyone’s reasons for choosing certain items/companies is their own, regardless of price. We should be able to discuss things without calling people “desperate”, or “stupid”, or anything else that isn’t their name.
    As an owner of one iPhone at a time access to Apple Stores and AppleCare+ is a magical combination. I’ve never been without an iPhone more than an hour or two. It’s one of many things that keeps me buying Apple. This level of service is unmatched anywhere else.

As always, name calling is not acceptable behavior on this forum. We’re all adults here and should act as such. Unfortunately we get a few keyboard warriors from time to time. They generally aren’t around too long though.
    11-11-2018 07:08 AM
    As an owner of one iPhone at a time access to Apple Stores and AppleCare+ is a magical combination. I’ve never been without an iPhone more than an hour or two. It’s one of many things that keeps me buying Apple. This level of service is unmatched anywhere else.

As always, name calling is not acceptable behavior on this forum. We’re all adults here and should act as such. Unfortunately we get a few keyboard warriors from time to time. They generally aren’t around too long though.
    I agree. There are some nice Androids available but no other tech company can take care of you like Apple. Especially if you have an Apple store nearby. I let an iPod touch get a little to damp during a misty run one day and my Apple store gave me a new one the next day. No problems, just in and out. They also recommended that I start using my Apple Watch for music while running so I did. I can’t believe I was still using the iPod when I could have using my series 3 watch!!
    11-11-2018 09:05 AM
    I think this is something that is rarely taken into consideration when comparing phones. While hardware and software is extremely important, customer service can be just as important. It's hard to put a price or metric on it but it's what keeps many people coming back to Apple.
    11-11-2018 09:25 AM

That’s what keeps me with Apple. The fact you have stores nearby for customer service.
    It’s all about the quality of service after the purchase, when issues arise.
    While it’s comparing apples to oranges. That’s why I bought my Jeep 40 miles away. How the service department operates, is what’s most important.
    Last edited by joemd60; 11-11-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    11-11-2018 12:06 PM
    That’s what keeps me with Apple. The fact you have Apple Store’s nearby.
    That and iMessage, FaceTime, The App Store, Family Sharing, Apple Music, Apple Watch, Activity App, Find Your Friends, Workouts, etc....
    joemd60 and wenrob like this.
    11-11-2018 12:14 PM
    That and iMessage, FaceTime, The App Store, Family Sharing, Apple Music, Apple Watch, Activity App, Find Your Friends, Workouts, etc....
    Agreed, not to mention the stability of the OS.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    11-11-2018 12:23 PM
    Agreed, not to mention the stability of the OS.
    Oh yeah, that too.
    11-11-2018 12:38 PM
    Apple should have charged $100 less for these new iPads and should have dropped the last gen iPad Pro $100. I mean seriously those iPads are 18 months old and still selling full price and basically the chip set is 2 years behind. And these news iPads should have started with 128 GB for these prices. The Apple Tax.
    anon(8115241) likes this.
    11-11-2018 01:09 PM
    Apple should have charged $100 less for these new iPads and should have dropped the last gen iPad Pro $100. I mean seriously those iPads are 18 months old and still selling full price and basically the chip set is 2 years behind. And these news iPads should have started with 128 GB for these prices. The Apple Tax.
    I feel the same way and I wouldn’t buy if I have a problem with the price
    11-11-2018 03:15 PM
    I feel the same way and I wouldn’t buy if I have a problem with the price
    The pricing has changed the way I buy. Normally I would just pay outright for my cellular iPad but this time I decided to finance mine through Tmobile. Pay $229 down plus tax was much better than paying $1050 out of pocket.
    11-11-2018 04:01 PM
    Interesting!! I haven’t even looked at the price of iPads in years. I’m still rocking with my Mini 2 I can’t believe they’re selling old iPads for full price.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-11-2018 08:12 PM
    I paid 499 for the very 1st iPad model in 2010. It had only been available a few days when I bought it. Last week I paid just 25 dollars more for a brand new iPad Pro 10.5. The original was 16gb and the 10.5 is a 64gb. I can’t really complain about iPad pricing.
    11-11-2018 09:37 PM
    I think what we will continue to see is more and more consumers will continue to hold on to their iPhones, iPads, etc. much longer than in the past. Primarily everything you just mentioned. The prices continue to soar meanwhile, not much is changing. These products last a pretty long time, without really sacrificing anything*. So its difficult trying to justify shelling out a boatload of cash for a device when my older one still works fine. I upgraded to the XS Max and I’m on a 3 yr cycle before i even look to upgrade at this point.
    I agree, I did upgrade my iPad this time but I plan on keeping this one for several years, that’s why I got the 1 TB .
    I got the iPhone X last year, it works great, no plan on upgrading.
    My man just got the XS Max and the only truly noticeable difference is the size so this year was expensive but we should be set for a while now.
    11-14-2018 10:28 AM
    Doesn’t matter to me or anyone who is in the ecosystem of iOS. People don’t understand that complaining about apple products don’t solve the issue. I have notice that people who complain about apple are those who want an iPhone. An iPhone is good for 5-8 years which I can’t say the same for other devices. I’m a htc fan but now I have an iPhone for a reason
    It's interesting that you were presented with pretty strong evidence that goes against your "nothing major" statement in regards to the One Plus and then you simply say, "that doesn't matter to anyone in the ecosystem of iOS".

Although you're right, it doesn't matter to anyone in the ecosystem of iOS. It does matter when looking at the market in general. It says that these prices can be achieved in top tier hardware.

Furthermore, it's not just people who want an iPhone that may complain about the prices. I've heard from quite a few iPhone users who are questioning the increases. Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you want to spend it. I fully accept that the decision to make a purchase is in the hands of the purchaser. But it's still an interesting discussion.
    libra89, Just_Me_D and cwbcpa like this.
    11-14-2018 01:40 PM
    ...Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you want to spend it. I fully accept that the decision to make a purchase is in the hands of the purchaser. ....
    Nothing else needs to be said...
    libra89, cwbcpa, joemd60 and 1 others like this.
    11-14-2018 03:33 PM
195 ... 23456 ...