I agree with the prices being too high. I almost didn’t get my XS Max this year. I was just going to buy off my X but it was actually cheaper to upgrade. I’m even still using an iPad Air 2 and a late 2013 MacBook Pro. Honestly with the costs the way are, increasing, and how good Android has become, options like the One Plus 6T are very tempting.
    11-06-2018 07:54 AM
    I couldn’t agree with the OP more. I’ve had a new iPhone almost every year from the iPhone 4 to my current iPhone 7. But with the advent of the price tag on the newer phones I just cannot justify spending over $1,000.00 every year just to have the latest and greatest like I used to. Not to mention the new case, Apple Care+ and other accessories that may need to be replaced. My current 3 year old iPhone 7 still works quite well. I may go with iPhone 8 next year but I doubt I’ll ever again buy the newest iPhone when it comes out.
    mumfoau and libra89 like this.
    11-06-2018 12:21 PM
    Well the carriers may also be helping price devices out of reach.

Last Thursday Tmobile was advertising the Xs Max, 64 gig, for $99 down and $27/mo for 36 months. Today that same ad now reads $349 down, $20/mo for 36 months.

And JUST as I had decided to get a Xs Max too.

Oh well. Looks like the 7+ until it becomes unsupported.
    11-06-2018 12:28 PM
    I used my 6s Plus for over 3 years. Went to the Apple Store yesterday to get a new battery. They broke the camera and LED torch. So they gave me a brand new iPhone 6s Plus (not a refurb). I had hoped to keep my 6s Plus on iOS 10.1.1, and get the Max in March. But that didn't happen. So, with a brand new 6s Plus, I don't see any real reason to get the Max. That's a lot of money just for a little better screen, better camera, and animoji. I'm not the fanboy that has to have it just because it's there. I may get 6 years with a 6s Plus.
    11-06-2018 12:50 PM
    Though I like the Max, I honestly kinda wish I’d kept my X. That’s always the thing with iPhones. I always upgrade then end up feeling like all I did was spend money because the experience is the same. If that makes sense. The experience isn’t bad at all but it’s never different year over year.
    I wish I could like this a few extra times, lol. I feel like this almost every year lol. I haven't noticed much of a difference since my 6S days lol. Granted, the X was a radical design change so I actually felt like my experience was different. But for years I wasn't really "wow'd" by my iPhone. It just worked. And it worked really well. I still really miss my 7 Plus. The Matte Black was an incredible color choice, IMO. I much prefer that over the glass design of current.

I agree...its never a bad experience. It's just the same experience...year after year after year lol. So long as my X continues to perform adequately, I don't see myself changing anytime soon. I'm sure my wife would like that decision, lol.
    libra89, mumfoau and nikkisharif like this.
    11-06-2018 01:02 PM
    This is such an interesting thread and discussion. I don't have any other Apple things aside from a phone but everything seems to be going left.

I figured that I would get a 8 at some point next year but then I got the Xr. I'm not forever done, but that (even with the money off that I used when buying it) has me tapped out, and mind you that I always buy the base so that's saying something for me. I hope to use my Xr for a year.
    I hear you. I recently purchased my wife an Apple Watch Series 4 and soon she will also need a new phone. Her 8 isn't performing very well. We are debating on getting it fixed or going with an XR. She's not sure if she likes the design of the newer iPhones with going away from the home button.

Then I saw the release of the iPad Pro line. So within the last few weeks Apple has been in frequent conversations with my wallet lol. Then I stepped back and had to ask myself WHY? My Pro works well and I really don't see what the new models are offering someone with my use case. The increase of price just doesn't make sense to me. So I figure I'll do something radical (in my historical sense) this year and NOT upgrade any of my personal products lol.

What is interesting about this discussion is how many people seem to be in similar shoes. I wonder what that will mean going forward not just for Apple but for all technology companies. Prices are rising in general yet the devices are kind of slowing down from an innovative standpoint. How will they encourage us to open our wallets as time progresses?
    libra89 and ladyc0524 like this.
    11-06-2018 01:07 PM
    Apple May Be Pricing Me Out Of Their Product Lines-effmdb3.jpg
    phlamethrowre and Lee_Bo like this.
    11-06-2018 02:21 PM
    I hear you. I recently purchased my wife an Apple Watch Series 4 and soon she will also need a new phone. Her 8 isn't performing very well. We are debating on getting it fixed or going with an XR. She's not sure if she likes the design of the newer iPhones with going away from the home button.

Then I saw the release of the iPad Pro line. So within the last few weeks Apple has been in frequent conversations with my wallet lol. Then I stepped back and had to ask myself WHY? My Pro works well and I really don't see what the new models are offering someone with my use case. The increase of price just doesn't make sense to me. So I figure I'll do something radical (in my historical sense) this year and NOT upgrade any of my personal products lol.

What is interesting about this discussion is how many people seem to be in similar shoes. I wonder what that will mean going forward not just for Apple but for all technology companies. Prices are rising in general yet the devices are kind of slowing down from an innovative standpoint. How will they encourage us to open our wallets as time progresses?
    That's a good question. I don't remember who said it but there was someone here who said something along the lines of, "They are raising the prices of these products and yet my pay isn't also rising too so this isn't gonna work".

The Xr is nice but I'll admit that it's a bit much.
    Quis89, nikkisharif and ladyc0524 like this.
    11-06-2018 03:17 PM
    Unfortunately it’s the future. No matter the carrier or the OS. Smartphones are going to be getting more and more costly.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-06-2018 04:00 PM
    Unfortunately it’s the future. No matter the carrier or the OS. Smartphones are going to be getting more and more costly.
    Yep.
    11-06-2018 04:15 PM
    I agree with the prices being too high. I almost didn’t get my XS Max this year. I was just going to buy off my X but it was actually cheaper to upgrade. I’m even still using an iPad Air 2 and a late 2013 MacBook Pro. Honestly with the costs the way are, increasing, and how good Android has become, options like the One Plus 6T are very tempting.
    I've thought about going back to Android a few times now that the Pixel line has good cameras and of course updates direct from Google (vs. the 2014 and earlier Nexus models that had really poor cameras). Unfortunately now I'll have to wait for an Android Wear maker to come out with a watch that can match all the new heart rate stuff Apple is doing with the Watch if I'm going to do that. I just switched from a Charge 2 to the AW4 due to the heart monitoring tech since I've had heart rhythm issues in the past (and I wanted an actual smartwatch not just a fitness wearable)
    11-06-2018 05:16 PM
    Only if we allow them to be. If we accept it and keep paying higher prices every year it's our own fault.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-06-2018 05:27 PM
    Only if we allow them to be. If we accept it and keep paying higher prices every year it's our own fault.
    Agreed, but I am not ready to start using a Jitterbug.
    iPutz and wenrob like this.
    11-06-2018 05:30 PM
    Agreed, but I am not ready to start using a Jitterbug.
    Funny, but not reality.
    11-06-2018 05:49 PM
    WOW, I was just talking about this same subject to a good friend of mine. Needless to say, but I'm feeling the same exact way Ambassador Quis89. I will probably be keeping my Apple products until they no longer function going forward to be honest.
    You are saying that now until the next iPhone is announced
    11-06-2018 05:52 PM
    Funny, but not reality.
    The reality is, as technology advances. The features and power etc of smartphones are going to change, and so will the price.
    I doubt Android is that much cheaper than an iPhone.
    What I have an issue with. Smartphones are concentrating too much on everything than what their intended purpose is.
    First and foremost, making clear calls. I don’t have a problem paying a premium price for a smartphone.
    But I do have a problem paying premium prices, when people on the other end of the call, complain about the voice quality.
    My 5C and even my 6, always made clear calls. Yet my 7 Plus, and even my current 8 Plus, I cannot say the same about.
    TgeekB and libra89 like this.
    11-06-2018 06:04 PM
    Not if people quit buying them. If that's the case, the carrier and OEM will need to figure out how to sell phones for cheaper prices.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-06-2018 06:33 PM
    I doubt Android is that much cheaper than an iPhone.
    Then you haven't looked at any Android devices lately. You can get an LG V40 ThinQ for $779.99 retail or a OnePlus 6T for $559. Both of those devices have almost all the features of the iPhone XS but for so much cheaper.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-06-2018 06:36 PM
    Not if people quit buying them. If that's the case, the carrier and OEM will need to figure out how to sell phones for cheaper prices.
    It’s not going to happen. People will not stop buying a smartphone.
    And I am not condoning the price as being fair,but they are technically mini computers.
    And I have seen some of Android phone prices.
    What keeps me with IOS. Timely updates, less bugs, and a place to go when the device needs something.
    11-06-2018 06:36 PM
    Food for thought: Rene Ritchie just posted this on Twitter:

“MacBook Air prices at launch:

1st Gen (2008): $1799
    2nd Gen (2011): $1299*
    3rd Gen (2018): $1199

* Reduced to $999 in 2014

(Just in case you read “most expensive Air ever!!!…” at any point today.)

Real questions is if/when this one will drop and by how much.”
    11-06-2018 06:41 PM
    Food for thought: Rene Ritchie just posted this on Twitter:

“MacBook Air prices at launch:

1st Gen (2008): $1799
    2nd Gen (2011): $1299*
    3rd Gen (2018): $1199

* Reduced to $999 in 2014

(Just in case you read “most expensive Air ever!!!…” at any point today.)

Real questions is if/when this one will drop and by how much.”
    Yeah, that's true. But he cherrypicked here.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-06-2018 09:35 PM
    This is true. I just read this yesterday and while it is about the OnePlus 3, nothing is stopping us from doing this with the current iPhones we have for years to come. https://www.gsmarena.com/why_i_wont_...news-34053.php
    tr1ad likes this.
    11-06-2018 10:51 PM
    It’s not going to happen. People will not stop buying a smartphone.
    People aren't buying the ultra-expensive (i.e. over $1,000) cell phones. Why do you think Apple isn't going to release iPhone sales figures anymore? If people were buying them, they'd release those numbers. Hell, my 512GB iPhone XS Max costs way more than a decent Macbook, a great gaming laptop, and even a decent down payment on a new car. It's ridiculous.
    11-07-2018 12:51 AM
    Unfortunately, the prices are going to stay high because not many folks do what I and several others here do and buy outright. So, because the vast majority take advantage of device payment plans which keep ultra expensive iDevices so accessible, prices will continue to soar.
    11-07-2018 03:33 AM
    Unfortunately, the prices are going to stay high because not many folks do what I and several others here do and buy outright. So, because the vast majority take advantage of device payment plans which keep ultra expensive iDevices so accessible, prices will continue to soar.
    Buying outright is the only way to go. I'm not about to pay an exorbitant premium just to have the latest, greatest device and get locked to one carrier for the contract's duration. That is also the reason I won't be buying a brand new freshly released iPhone in the foreseeable future as I had been doing up until I bought my iPhone7. That iPhone still serves my purposes quite well and when it no longer does I will probably buy a new phone a generation or two old to avoid the outrageous prices for the "Latest, Greatest" device. I will however stick with an iPhone as I have had 5 of them over the years and haven't had a problem with any of them that wasn't self inflicted.
    mumfoau, libra89 and TgeekB like this.
    11-07-2018 06:04 AM
195 1234 ...