Apple May Be Pricing Me Out Of Their Product Lines

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Within the last year or so we've seen virtually every product-line that Apple offers increase in price. iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc.

Sure, they still offer older models (with older components) for lower prices. But the Apple premium that many point out is in full force. At one point, I happily owned the latest in their products that made my life easier. iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, AppleTV, etc. But as time progresses, I'm looking at their product offerings and the prices they are asking and I'm scratching my head. It's becoming harder to justify some of these purchases at times with the premium price they are asking. It's harder to identify HOW these products differ from their predecessors and if the additional cost will be worth it in the end, for me personally.

Anyone else feeling similar?

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Within the last year or so we've seen virtually every product-line that Apple offers increase in price. iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc.

Sure, they still offer older models (with older components) for lower prices. But the Apple premium that many point out is in full force. At one point, I happily owned the latest in their products that made my life easier. iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, AppleTV, etc. But as time progresses, I'm looking at their product offerings and the prices they are asking and I'm scratching my head. It's becoming harder to justify some of these purchases at times with the premium price they are asking. It's harder to identify HOW these products differ from their predecessors and if the additional cost will be worth it in the end, for me personally.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I think what we will continue to see is more and more consumers will continue to hold on to their iPhones, iPads, etc. much longer than in the past. Primarily everything you just mentioned. The prices continue to soar meanwhile, not much is changing. These products last a pretty long time, without really sacrificing anything*. So its difficult trying to justify shelling out a boatload of cash for a device when my older one still works fine. I upgraded to the XS Max and I’m on a 3 yr cycle before i even look to upgrade at this point.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think what we will continue to see is more and more consumers will continue to hold on to their iPhones, iPads, etc. much longer than in the past. Primarily everything you just mentioned. The prices continue to soar meanwhile, not much is changing. These products last a pretty long time, without really sacrificing anything*. So its difficult trying to justify shelling out a boatload of cash for a device when my older one still works fine. I upgraded to the XS Max and I’m on a 3 yr cycle before i even look to upgrade at this point.

I agree with this. I looked at my 12.9 iPad Pro and thought to myself, "What is this new iPad going to do for me?".

I don't really have a definitive answer that would justify the additional cost. My iPad is working just fine. This is also the first year I haven't felt a need to get a new iPhone. My X is working perfectly. My MacBook Pro is still doing everything I need it to do very efficiently. So I'm in that boat you just described. I'll be holding on to my devices longer than I have in the past because,
1. They are still working and,
2. Current prices are too high to justify upgrading.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’ve talked about this before. Somewhere in the past it became a trend to buy the latest and greatest cellphone and maybe back in the flip phone days devices jumped in reception and features yearly but then the smartphones became the norm but the trend continued and the Company’s know this. There are many people who will pay any price to have the latest offering. Case in point when the Gold 5s came out someone paid 3times the cost outside of an Apple Store just so he can have one.

Until we learn to keep our devices thru there life cycle the prices will remain high

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this. I looked at my 12.9 iPad Pro and thought to myself, "What is this new iPad going to do for me?".

I don't really have a definitive answer that would justify the additional cost. My iPad is working just fine. This is also the first year I haven't felt a need to get a new iPhone. My X is working perfectly. My MacBook Pro is still doing everything I need it to do very efficiently. So I'm in that boat you just described. I'll be holding on to my devices longer than I have in the past because,
1. They are still working and,
2. Current prices are too high to justify upgrading.

Couldn’t have said it better

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I never ever thought I'd own an iPhone, because of the price. So to say I was surprised when my "frugal" husband said that I needed an iPhone is an understatement. Within two weeks, I had a brand new iPhone 4. I then thought.. well, it will be a very long time until I get another. And again, I was surprised... when I upgraded to a 5s, then a 6s, and finally my 8 plus. He's been a little reluctant because, in truth, there was nothing wrong with my 5s or 6s. But I was fully entrenched at this point, and drinking the kool-aid, so to speak. I have no regrets. Each model was wonderful. The prices have gone up, and I did have some sticker shock after getting my 8 Plus last December. I'm with AT&T, and will stay with this phone for at least 2 or 3 years. I always trade my phones in, and that helps. I also look for deals around the holidays.. that helps too. Despite all this, I realize they are expensive, but this is my choice to make. And I will continue with Apple... it's just a matter of budgeting and strategizing. Again, I have no regrets!

Last edited:

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I’ve talked about this before. Somewhere in the past it became a trend to buy the latest and greatest cellphone and maybe back in the flip phone days devices jumped in reception and features yearly but then the smartphones became the norm but the trend continued and the Company’s know this. There are many people who will pay any price to have the latest offering. Case in point when the Gold 5s came out someone paid 3times the cost outside of an Apple Store just so he can have one.

Until we learn to keep our devices thru there life cycle the prices will remain high

Yes indeed, and tech companies like Apple are banking on this.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WOW, I was just talking about this same subject to a good friend of mine. Needless to say, but I'm feeling the same exact way Ambassador Quis89. I will probably be keeping my Apple products until they no longer function going forward to be honest.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm one of those who was going to hang onto my 7+ a while longer, and I may still do that. But I was looking at Tmobile's web site over the weekend and they are now offering 36 months on a new phone. So the $1099.99 Xs Max (64 gig) after the $99.99 down payment is $27/mo for 36 months. I think if  continues to increase prices, mobile carriers are going to come up with ways to make it affordable.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm one of those who was going to hang onto my 7+ a while longer, and I may still do that. But I was looking at Tmobile's web site over the weekend and they are now offering 36 months on a new phone. So the $1099.99 Xs Max (64 gig) after the $99.99 down payment is $27/mo for 36 months. I think if  continues to increase prices, mobile carriers are going to come up with ways to make it affordable.

Exactly!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this point. Verizon recently started 24 months on the Apple Watch line. I believe other carriers have done this as well but it's yet another move to create the illusion of a cheaper product. Why pay $500 when you can pay $20 a month?

I wonder if that's where things will lean. Rather than prices lowering (Which I don't see happening), carriers and companies will need to find ways to make these items more affordable through financing options.

Nov 1, 2018
Visit site
Agreed... I think the cell phone industry has seen huge inflation and we will start to see people hold on to their devices longer or even switch brands due to pricing

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree fully.
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro that I purchased used and works just perfectly.
I purchased a 9.7 iPad pro new (typing on it right now) that will keep quite a while longer.
I bought a used iPhone X for $600 a couple months ago and it should meet my needs for a couple more years.
I'm not a "gotta have it, take my wallet" kind of guy. They, and others, will continue to increase prices as long as people bite. I'm not biting.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I hope to keep my XS Max for three years. There shouldn’t be a need to upgrade it. If it can go longer then I’ll do that. To be honest I didn’t need to upgrade from my 7+ but I’m glad I did.

I bought the regular 2017 iPad for $280 and that is all I need in that area. I do have an Apple TV and HomePod and AirPods. None of those will need to be upgraded for several years. We’ll see if I stick to that plan but that is the plan. When you pay more for a premium product it usually means it lasts longer. That’s my hope at least.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm at the point where I'm not feeling a need to upgrade my Apple products often as I used to. I have an iPad Air 2 that I purchased in December of 2014 and still don't have a desire to upgrade it. I even held off for about 6 months on a 4th-gen Apple TV and I haven't upgraded that at all. I have a MacBook Pro from I can't even remember what the hell year that I don't care about upgrading either.

All I upgrade is my iPhone and with my XS Max I feel very satisfied. So satisfied that I use my iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro even less than I did before I purchased it. I think that is the key with most of us.

I don't see this as Apple pricing out anyone. I just see them upping their ASP because people are going to buy their products anyway. It's a good mask for wall street when the actual numbers of products being sold are down. And I know they won't be giving that number anymore but there will always be reports from analysts and different firms of how many of something Apple supposedly sold or didn't sell.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The ONLY Apple product that I routinely upgraded on an annual basis was the iPhone. I've never even considered upgrading my other Apple products that often, especially the MacBook/MacBook Pro.

As for Apple's recent pricing, we all knew at some point that they would increase it at some point, especially in regard to the iPhone. A good deal of people will continue to purchase the newest Apple products annually, but a good deal of others will hold on to theirs a bit longer.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I understand where you’re coming from. For me it’s a non issue. The only Apple item I’ve ever upgraded regularly was my iPhone, and this time I only upgrade because my 8 died. I’ve only owned 2 iPads...the iPad 3 & iPad mini 2 (I’ve bought other models for my kids & mom). I’ve owned 3 MacBooks in the span of about 15 years. I see no need to continue to upgrade those devices, if what I have is working just fine. Prices for these items will continue to increase, but fortunately for me, they rarely seem tempting to me.

BTW...I don’t feel the price for the iPhone is unreasonable. My iPhone 5 was about $900 in 2012. I’m surprised we didn’t hit the $1000 mark sooner.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I personally don't feel the need to upgrade every Apple product we own for each release cycle. My 12yo son has an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 that are both still working great for him. I was toying with the idea to upgrade them for Christmas but will probably hold off awhile longer because I don't need to throw money at something that already works for a kid. More than likely I'll hand them down to my 7yo daughter when I upgrade him since her iPhone 5s recently died. I still have my iPhone 7 Plus, Airpods, and beloved Apple Watch Series 2 though I am seriously considering upgrading my phone and watch as a present to myself because I can. Otherwise I'm content with what I have and will enjoy it because the money has been well spent.

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I hope to keep my XS Max for three years. There shouldn’t be a need to upgrade it. If it can go longer then I’ll do that. To be honest I didn’t need to upgrade from my 7+ but I’m glad I did.

I bought the regular 2017 iPad for $280 and that is all I need in that area. I do have an Apple TV and HomePod and AirPods. None of those will need to be upgraded for several years. We’ll see if I stick to that plan but that is the plan. When you pay more for a premium product it usually means it lasts longer. That’s my hope at least.

I agree! I have the Apple Watch 3, iPhone XS Max, and air pods and I’m looking to keep my phone for at least three yrs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro