Something to hide or a smart business move?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is being reported that at the start of its next financial year, Apple will stop reporting unit sales for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Does Apple have something to hide or is it a smart business move?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's both. I believe Apple wants to avoid discussing sales-per-device (such as the lower than expected Xr initial sales) and just discuss the overall profitablity. So, I think I'd class that as a smart business decision. Apple will keep making money hand-over-fist, and it's really the bottom line that concerns investors. From their standpoint, all is well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My reaction to your question can be described as slightly uncomfortable. Overall, I think it's probably a smart business move. I don't think that "not reporting" is the same thing as hiding, but it's definitely not transparent!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Its a smart move... the devices they sell has nothing to do with how the company is doing. If they sell 1 phone and 999,999,998 Watches they are still doing AOK ??????

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's both. I believe Apple wants to avoid discussing sales-per-device (such as the lower than expected Xr initial sales) and just discuss the overall profitablity. So, I think I'd class that as a smart business decision. Apple will keep making money hand-over-fist, and it's really the bottom line that concerns investors. From their standpoint, all is well.

My reaction to your question can be described as slightly uncomfortable. Overall, I think it's probably a smart business move. I don't think that "not reporting" is the same thing as hiding, but it's definitely not transparent!

How many people who do not hang out in tech forums truly care about how many devices Apple sell?

anon(749368)

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Apple is an evil company. Here are a few reasons why:
1. They now hide the number of devices sold to cover up the fact that their profits don't come from many devices sold but rather from expensive devices sold
2. Don't allow the user to repaint heir own device
3. The 'genius' bar employees encourage you to buy a new device by quoting exorbitant amounts for repair

But they do make a damn good product and I have iphone, airpods and ipad and love using them. Damn Apple, you're frustrating...love your products but hate your business practices

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple is an evil company. Here are a few reasons why:
1. They now hide the number of devices sold to cover up the fact that their profits don't come from many devices sold but rather from expensive devices sold
3. The 'genius' bar employees encourage you to buy a new device by quoting exorbitant amounts for repair

But they do make a damn good product and I have iphone, airpods and ipad and love using them. Damn Apple, you're frustrating...love your products but hate your business practices

Eh....not sure I completely agree here.

1. They simply aren't disclosing unit numbers to shareholders. Shareholders don't care HOW Apple gets their money. They just want to know Apple is performing well. Apple is moving towards a seemingly more services oriented company. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, their primary profit came from services rather than hardware. As such, unit sales from hardware aren't as important. Especially if the hardware is used as a gateway to get customers wrapped into their services.

2. Not allowing customers to repaint their devices makes them evil? That's a reach.

3. This is anecdotal. There are many people who have had wonderful experiences with Genius reps. Myself included. I've never been encouraged to spend outrageous amounts on repair pushing me to upgrade. In fact, I've never even paid for a repair at Apple. Of course, I have AppleCare+. But Apple is pretty transparent about their repair fees and you always have the option to purchase insurance in some form.

Evil is a strong word when business is business. Apple isn't very much different from any other for-profit company.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't really bother me at all. I can still see how my stocks are doing and decide when/if I want to get out.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple is an evil company.
Evil? Wow!
Here are a few reasons why:
Is Samsung and other companies who opt not to disclose the exact number of devices it sells hiding something? Could it be that people outside of Apple deciding that if they don’t sell a certain number of devices then they’re somehow losing customers or have somehow failed be a factor?
You can do whatever you want with the device you purchased. Some people opt to purposely damage it via drop tests. Others opt to jailbreak so certainly you can paint yours whatever color you like. It’ll just void the warranty. That’s all.
Apple is pretty upfront about their repairs, in my experience. If you don’t have Apple Care + then you are taking a risk of having to fork over more than $120 for a repair. Is it not the same with cars, large appliances, etcetera?

Business 101 - people are in business to offer a product or service at a profit.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to guess why they did that. Maybe they're just tired of the "Apple is doomed" reporting on sales figures. It happens every year, yet Apple continues to do very well.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
How many people who do not hang out in tech forums truly care about how many devices Apple sell?

Aside from those in the industry and tech forums? Very few. And that very few out of the millions of users. Aside from the minor fluff with analysts, this will mostly go away and be forgotten in a few days. It may pop up when a writer wants to make a jab at Apple one in a while, though -- just like Samsung and the Note 7 battery problem.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
They're not selling as well and that's why Apple isn't releasing iPhone sales figures. I mean, who wants to pay $1,100 for a cell phone? If they were selling well, Apple would let everyone know they're selling well.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think the financial sector and shareholders care more than most for obvious reasons. Being transparent about how a company makes money is an important component of the investment decision making process.

Should it matter to people who don’t have a vested interest..? Not really. But if you’re managing money for say a pension fund, you probably want the company to be as forthcoming as possible.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not disclosing unit sales is not at all uncommon among publicly traded companies and is certainly not required in SEC filings. Apple—just like any other for-profit corporation—wants to create a positive image in its quarterly earnings. You can call them “evil” for doing so but they’re among the majority. Furthermore, unit sales are extremely subjective. A billion iPhones sold means nothing if they didn’t make any money off of them.
Stakeholders care about future revenues way more than anything else. As an Apple stockholder myself, I’m much more interested in how much money they’re making from all of their revenue sources, not just how many iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc. they sold.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Not disclosing unit sales is not at all uncommon among publicly traded companies and is certainly not required in SEC filings. Apple—just like any other for-profit corporation—wants to create a positive image in its quarterly earnings. You can call them “evil” for doing so but they’re among the majority. Furthermore, unit sales are extremely subjective. A billion iPhones sold means nothing if they didn’t make any money off of them.
Stakeholders care about future revenues way more than anything else. As an Apple stockholder myself, I’m much more interested in how much money they’re making from all of their revenue sources, not just how many iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc. they sold.

Well said. Let's face it, most stockholders have no idea whether a billion or 10 billion iPhone sold is good. The bottom line is profits. This is a fan forum so people get all caught up in these numbers. How long has it been now that we've seen reports that Apple may be in trouble because of this estimation of that number? It doesn't mean a darn thing. The bottom line is what matters.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
....fan forum so people get all caught up in these numbers. How long has it been now that we've seen reports that Apple may be in trouble because of this estimation of that number? It doesn't mean a darn thing. The bottom line is what matters.
At least as far back as the iPhone 4S, and that’s been 7 years ago....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2