Did the price of the iPhone XS lessen the value of the iPhone X?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I don’t have any facts or statistics to support my claim, it’s possible that a good deal of iPhone X buyers feel a betrayed.

The iPhone X was billed as the 10th anniversary iPhone as well as the future of the iPhone. Because of that, people were willing to shell out the $999+ for it and possibly keeping it as a collector’s item.

Now that the new iPhone XS has come out starting at the same $999 price, some people are like “what the heck!?!” Are you one of the people who feel betrayed? What are your thoughts on the matter?

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone X currently and no I’m not surprised that there wasn’t a price drop for this year’s version of the X (the XS). Why would Apple leave money on the table and lower the price down to say $899 for the base version of the XS, when they have got sales numbers that say that the X was their best selling phone every month that it’s been on sale since last year.
I definitely would have liked to seen lower prices on both the XS and XS Max like had been rumored, but if Apple sees that the $999 price point wasn’t too off putting to people buying the X, I’m not surprised that they left it at that amount for the XS. To me, until Apple has data that says their current pricing is costing them sales/profits, I don’t see them lowering those prices any time soon... sadly... for my wallet...
;-)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Although I don’t have any facts or statistics to support my claim, it’s possible that a good deal of iPhone X buyers feel a betrayed.

The iPhone X was billed as the 10th anniversary iPhone as well as the future of the iPhone. Because of that, people were willing to shell out the $999+ for it and possibly keeping it as a collector’s item.

Now that the new iPhone XS has come out starting at the same $999 price, some people are like “what the heck!?!” Are you one of the people who feel betrayed? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Betrayed for what? Tim Cook and I aren’t friends LOL. Apple has a pattern, so I expected the new device to have the same price. With that being said, the X is still the 10th Anniversary device, regardless of the new iteration. I know there will, definitely, be people that feel different, but they shouldn’t take it personally. Apple is in the business of making a profit. It is what it is🤷🏾*♀️

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
....Why would Apple leave money on the table and lower the price down to say $899 for the base version of the XS, when they have got sales numbers that say that the X was their best selling phone every month that it’s been on sale since last year.
;-)

That’s says it all and I agree that it was a business decision that made sense. Well stated, sir.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Betrayed for what? Tim Cook and I aren’t friends LOL. Apple has a pattern, so I expected the new device to have the same price. With that being said, the X is still the 10th Anniversary device, regardless of the new iteration. I know there will, definitely, be people that feel different, but they shouldn’t take it personally. Apple is in the business of making a profit. It is what it is������������*♀️

What?...You and TC aren’t friends? What the heck, Nikki!...(laughing). You’re a world-class traveler and therefore I figured you and TC shared the same private jet....

As always, business is business and Apple is doing what it is in business to do...

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope I don't feel betrayed I scored the X on a Bogo deal buy X get an 8 free, probably wait for a Bogo on the new phones too.
I think the resale of the current X will stay strong for at least until the deals on the new phones start popping up.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyone who bought the X for the sake of preserving it and keeping it as a collectors item sure as hell doesn’t care what other phones are priced at. For the other 99.9% of us normal people, it was just a phone that I am now upgrading and sending back.

bigjoe7757

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree not betrayed but I will say that the prices have affected sales, when was the last time Apple had a iPhone pre order and a day later you can still preorder some of the phones and have it picked up or delivered on launch day.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I agree not betrayed but I will say that the prices have affected sales, when was the last time Apple had a iPhone pre order and a day later you can still preorder some of the phones and have it picked up or delivered on launch day.

Some of that might also be waiting for the Xr. We value specs, a vast majority of the public values colors and customization. We care what camera our phones have, a 16 year old just wants clear photos and a bright neon phone.

I also think that the Xs launched like the 8 did, with no manufacturing worries. My parents ordered their 8 the next day and received it on launch. The X launched with a LOT of manufacturing woes. It caused the appearance of high demand (which did exist but was exaggerated because of supply issues).

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What?...You and TC aren’t friends? What the heck, Nikki!...(laughing). You’re a world-class traveler and therefore I figured you and TC share the same private jet....

As always, business is business and Apple is doing what it is in business to do...

I wish we were friends, then maybe I’d be able to get the friends and family discount

I actually did this last year with the X & was able to get it on launch, through Apple.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Last year, I walked into an Apple Store the day after the iPhone X went live and bought one. Sales *may* seem slow, but that doesn't mean that it is. In addition, I'm sure many of the newly released iPhone models will become Christmas gifts in Q4.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Last year, I walked into an Apple Store the day after the iPhone X went live and bought one. Sales *may* seem slow, but that doesn't mean that it is. In addition, I'm sure many of the newly released iPhone models will become Christmas gifts in Q4.

It wouldn’t surprise me if one were go to an Apple Store next Friday and see an even busier store than normal because of it being a launch day. Last year I did an store pick up for the X, and I didn’t get to the store till a little after 5pm as that was just before the window I had selected as I worked that day. When I got there for my 5:30pm check in time, the walk-in line was still at around 30-40.people, and the preorder line that I was in was at around 8-10 people. So I could definitely see them being busier than would be indicated by the current availability of stock for the 21st on their website still.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn’t surprise me if one were go to an Apple Store next Friday and see an even busier store than normal because of it being a launch day. Last year I did an store pick up for the X, and I didn’t get to the store till a little after 5pm as that was just before the window I had selected as I worked that day. When I got there for my 5:30pm check in time, the walk-in line was still at around 30-40.people, and the preorder line that I was in was at around 8-10 people. So I could definitely see them being busier than would be indicated by the current availability of stock for the 21st on their website still.
I wouldn't be surprised either. In fact, I expect the Apple Stores to be busier than normal on both Friday and Saturday. I'll be at one of the 3 here in the Orlando area checking out the Series 4 Watch....:cool:

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised either. In fact, I expect the Apple Stores to be busier than normal on both Friday and Saturday. I'll be at one of the 3 here in the Orlando area checking out the Series 4 Watch....:cool:

Nice
...If my Series 0 SS hadn’t had the face lift up from the case last December, I’d still be using it, and I’d definitely take a serious look at the Series 4 now...
As it is, I purchased a Series 3 SG GPS + cellular back then, and I am more than satisfied with it. I will most likely take a look at a Series 5 or 6 for my next Apple Watch purchase.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice
...If my Series 0 SS hadn’t had the face lift up from the case last December, I’d still be using it, and I’d definitely take a serious look at the Series 4 now...
As it is, I purchased a Series 3 SG GPS + cellular back then, and I am more than satisfied with it. I will most likely take a look at a Series 5 or 6 for my next Apple Watch purchase.
I hear you. I enjoy using my Series 3 and really don't have any plans to upgrade to the Series 4 unless it wows me - specifically, the overall speed of it. If it's "considerably" more responsive than my Series 3 then I will consider buying it.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I hear you. I enjoy using my Series 3 and really don't have any plans to upgrade to the Series 4 unless it wows me - specifically, the overall speed of it. If it's "considerably" more responsive than my Series 3 then I will consider buying it.

If it’s anything like what it was for me going from a Series 0 to a Series 3, I wouldn’t blame you at all for picking a Series 4 up. When I first got my Series 3 I was taken back a little bit at how much faster it was than the Series 0, I guess I had been used to the 0’s performance as being normal - the Series 3 was a revelation.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I’ve been asking this for a year and I can’t get an answer (and I know why): When did Apple come out on record and aay that the iPhone X was a 10th anniversary phone?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been asking this for a year and I can’t get an answer (and I know why): When did Apple come out on record and aay that the iPhone X was a 10th anniversary phone?

Apple, the entity, did not make that claim. Tim Cook stated, “The first iPhone revolutionized a decade of technology. Now 10 years later it is only fitting that we are here in this place on this day to reveal a product that will set the path for technology for the next decade.”
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4935672/apple-10th-anniversary-iphone

Apple introducing both an iPhone 8 and an iPhone X on the iPhone’s 10th anniversary is good enough for me....

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see it any different from purchasing the 7 Plus, then seeing the 8 Plus come out the next year at the same price with a few new upgrades.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit