I am in shock over these prices today. I understand iMore has to stay upbeat and positive but I really wish they would have started a main page review on pricing.

I just can’t get over the starting price of $999 for the 64gb XS, I paid the money for the X last year but can’t justify paying it for basically a faster version of the same device. Nothing really Impressed me and I love Apple and constantly recommend them to others. I mean your in for $2380 for a 512gb Max with a new cellular watch 4 with AppleCare for both, and from what I’m reading they are not even including the fast charger again. That’s hard to accept.

I would have been all in for a 128g (which should be the starting model) Xs Max at $999 and a 44mm watch 4 at $399 for cellular. And reasonable AppleCare. Just my two cents.

What do you folks think.
    09-12-2018 08:16 PM
    I am in shock over these prices today. I understand iMore has to stay upbeat and positive but I really wish they would have started a main page review on pricing.

I just can’t get over the starting price of $999 for the 64gb XS, I paid the money for the X last year but can’t justify paying it for basically a faster version of the same device. Nothing really Impressed me and I love Apple and constantly recommend them to others. I mean your in for $2380 for a 512gb Max with a new cellular watch 4 with AppleCare for both, and from what I’m reading they are not even including the fast charger again. That’s hard to accept.

I would have been all in for a 128g (which should be the starting model) Xs Max at $999 and a 44mm watch 4 at $399 for cellular. And reasonable AppleCare. Just my two cents.

What do you folks think.
    Well I’ve been wanting 512G on my device for quite a long time. I like my media on my device so it’s available to me regardless of where I am.
    So I’m in. I was going to get an iPad for my media. This means I carry one device where I can store all my Doctor Who, Doc Martin, The Walking Dead, and whatever movies I want to carry on any given trip.

No brainer. Xs Max 512G gold.

Edited for clarity.
    bigjoe7757 and mumfoau like this.
    09-12-2018 08:33 PM
    I think a lot of people accepted the price of the original iPhone X because it was the 10th anniversary edition, but they assumed the prices would go back to ‘normal’ the following year.

Apple apparently took notice of the success of the iPhone X and figured customers would continue to be willing to pay a starting price of $999 for a premium iPhone model.

On the other hand, a lot of people aren’t buying iPhones outright like they used to because it’s easier to rent a $999+ iPhone for a year via an upgrade program and then trade it in when the newest model comes out.
    09-12-2018 08:35 PM
    For the average consumer it's gonna be a big pill to swallow but for others it won't matter. In my circle of peeps most are hanging onto their devices longer due to cost.
    bigjoe7757 likes this.
    09-12-2018 11:50 PM
    I’m actually sick of how Avergae consumer treated. I carry a two years old iPhone 6s Plus and was thinking to upgrade however the starting price of a £1000 for 64 GB, not to even to include a fast charger and a headphone jack adaptor is inexcusably greedy from apple. So it’s definitely no upgrade time and will try over the next year to gradually get out of the apple ecosystem all together.
    bigjoe7757 likes this.
    09-13-2018 08:23 AM
    I’m actually sick of how Avergae consumer treated. I carry a two years old iPhone 6s Plus and was thinking to upgrade however the starting price of a £1000 for 64 GB, not to even to include a fast charger and a headphone jack adaptor is inexcusably greedy from apple. So it’s definitely no upgrade time and will try over the next year to gradually get out of the apple ecosystem all together.
    What do you mean you’re sick of how the average consumer is treated? Consumers used to know that they wielded a great deal of power, but nowadays, they’re quick to acquiesce. That’s on the consumer, in my opinion.
    09-13-2018 08:46 AM
    Part of the price is the new tariffs on Chinese products. I did expect the low end model (the Xr) to be about $100 less.
    09-13-2018 12:05 PM
    The "average" consumer should be looking at the Xr, not the high end Iphones.
    rita83, nikkisharif and DianaAW like this.
    09-13-2018 12:06 PM
    Part of the price is the new tariffs on Chinese products. I did expect the low end model (the Xr) to be about $100 less.
    Do you have evidence of this?
    09-13-2018 05:42 PM
    The "average" consumer should be looking at the Xr, not the high end Iphones.
    Define the average consumer.
    nikkisharif and TgeekB like this.
    09-13-2018 05:56 PM
    2 years ago I bought the mid range iPhone 7 128 gig for £699. Now the midrange XS £1149 that’s more than a 60% increase! IMO not worth the extra for what I would get.
    09-14-2018 03:59 AM
    What annoys me most here in the UK is that Apple don’t even bother with currency conversion but just change the $ to £ and be done with it.

I wanted an 8 plus at launch last year and that would have meant paying £259 more than if the dollar price had actually been converted to pounds using the exchange rate at the time.
    09-14-2018 11:33 AM
    Average consumer was used in an earlier message in this thread. However, I would define average consumer as someone interested in a new phone, but not willing to spend $1,000 or more.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-14-2018 12:37 PM
    On the other hand, a lot of people aren’t buying iPhones outright like they used to because it’s easier to rent a $999+ iPhone for a year via an upgrade program and then trade it in when the newest model comes out.
    This!! I won’t buy an iPhone as long as AT&T has the new phone every year program. I pay the sales tax up front and then between $35 and $45 a month for 12 months to basically rent the phone. So it cost roughly $500 to rent the phone but I just give it back and get a new one every 12 months. If you buy a new iPhone this year, keep it 12 months and then try to sell it on eBay or Swappa you’re going to lose at least that much on the deal, maybe more. Why bother??
    Just_Me_D and nikkisharif like this.
    09-14-2018 12:44 PM
    Problem is that the consumer has the power to decide whether or not to buy.

I’ve gone from one company to another when I felt a product didn’t suit me. I would expect anyone else to have the same sense of empowerment.

If the current products don’t work, by all means, don’t spend one more penny on their products. I’ve done that walk away thing before.
    Evilguppy, TgeekB and nikkisharif like this.
    09-14-2018 01:34 PM
    What do you mean you’re sick of how the average consumer is treated? Consumers used to know that they wielded a great deal of power, but nowadays, they’re quick to acquiesce. That’s on the consumer, in my opinion.
    I agree. Until people stand up and say no to these prices they will continue to raise them every year.
    I’m standing up and saying no.
    09-14-2018 01:50 PM
    This!! I won’t buy an iPhone as long as AT&T has the new phone every year program. I pay the sales tax up front and then between $35 and $45 a month for 12 months to basically rent the phone. So it cost roughly $500 to rent the phone but I just give it back and get a new one every 12 months. If you buy a new iPhone this year, keep it 12 months and then try to sell it on eBay or Swappa you’re going to lose at least that much on the deal, maybe more. Why bother??
    I’m not sure I see renting one for $500 a year a deal. I also don’t want to pay AT&T’s high prices.
    JMHO
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    09-14-2018 01:53 PM
    I agree. Until people stand up and say no to these prices they will continue to raise them every year.
    I’m standing up and saying no.
    There is bound to be a cap on what Samsung and Apple can ask for a cellphone, right?? If they go much higher they will no longer sell millions of units. I feel like 1000 to around 1200 is where they will land.

Think about how nice of a laptop you can get for the asking price of the new iPhones!!!
    09-14-2018 01:58 PM
    There is bound to be a cap on what Samsung and Apple can ask for a cellphone, right?? If they go much higher they will no longer sell millions of units. I feel like 1000 to around 1200 is where they will land.

Think about how nice of a laptop you can get for the asking price of the new iPhones!!!
    I agree but as long as people keep paying whatever they ask, who knows?
    09-14-2018 02:00 PM
    I agree but as long as people keep paying whatever they ask, who knows?
    Nobody will pay 2K USD for an iPhone. Or at least not very many people will.
    09-14-2018 02:01 PM
    Nobody will pay 2K USD for an iPhone. Or at least not very many people will.
    lol just watch and see
    09-14-2018 02:53 PM
    Yea. This event cemented my decision this year: Galaxy Note9 128GB.

Maybe even the Galaxy S9. I’ve been itching for something smaller. I will have to go into the Verizon store and look at it again, as it is super cheap.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-14-2018 07:56 PM